123 Last

Thread: NFs and phobias

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Default NFs and phobias

I’m wondering if NFs may be particularly prone to phobias. There have been some discussions about anxiety disorders, etc in this forum but maybe not particularly phobias (though is a phobia considered an anxiety disorder?)

I’m a 30 year old female and I’ve had what I’d call low-level fears of flying, thunderstorms, and sudden loud noises for most of my life, but lately they seem to have blossomed into full phobias. I’ve just started having cognitive behavioural therapy sessions for the flying aspect particularly, which is the first time in my life I’ve talked to a psychologist or had therapy, so it feels a bit weird…though the psych is very nice and I think it may help (too soon to tell.)

I had a bad flying experience last year (emergency landing due to a bird strike, and then a flight with lots of turbulence) and since then I’ve had a lot of anxiety before flights, feeling ill, predicting bad turbulence in my mind, feeling frightened for no reason during a smooth flight, that sort of thing. It really sucks because although I have always been at least a slightly nervous flyer, I’ve always been well able to cope with it, until now. The thunderstorm thing, and sudden loud noises generally (like gunshots, even fake ones at the theatre! Though gunshots in films don’t bother me generally), have always been with me too but lately again they seem to be worse. Obviously, the prospect of flying and thunderstorms together is particularly bad…

Besides the trigger experience of the emergency landing, etc last year, I have had quite high stress levels for at least a couple of years and I get the feeling this has exacerbated these fears. But it is distressing to find that what used to be relatively minor fears are getting worse. Especially with flying…I hope the CBT helps, but if it doesn’t or this gets worse, it could seriously affect my life. I live far from my family and many friends, and I love travelling. Not being able to get on a plane is not really an option.

I suspect that NFs may be sensitive to phobias because we are sensitive generally…maybe it’s the violent crashing in of things that make us anxious, into our delicate inner worlds…?

I’d be interested in any insights or experiences…

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I have a phobia completely related to my type. I am deathly afraid of snakes. When I was young I was in a potentially deathly experience with a snake when I lived in Houston, TX. Lying in the grass, I turn over and find out I'm face to face with a monstrous Copperhead Snake. We were like 6 inches his nose to mine. If you know anything Copperheads you'd know that they are the second or third most deadly and venomous snake in America.

Since then, really, I've been terrified of snakes.

Other than that, I have a slight phobia of going to the doctors and the hospital.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Velvet. I hate the nasty, awful stuff. :shiver:

Cockroaches, heights and my teeth falling out.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Spiders.

MBTI
    INFJ

I'm really low on phobias. If I were to claim any: probably a fear of going completely insane (anxiety, depression... they're not far off) and I do feel really uncomfortable being off the ground if I'm on something shaky, but I'm not debilitated by it just overly cautious.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Glitter. I have an unnatural fear of glitter. Not fear, so much as a total disdain that will make me scream and run like a little girl. ... menacingly.

I really dislike heights as well, and medication.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I have a bit of social anxiety, but no phobias.
    I don't think this is a type thing...maybe a Feeler thing, since phobias are not logical. I notice that SFs in my life seem to harbor phobias the most though.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I have a bit of social anxiety, but no phobias.
    +1

Spiders, heights and the darkness make me a little queasy but not in such a serious way that I wouldn't be able to think clearly. Oh yeah, tight spaces are not exactly my favourite places to be either.
    Last edited by Phantonym; 07-25-2009 at 06:12 AM.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

if i see a cockroach i have a panic attack...like a real panic attack. I feel helpless and it's actually quite embarrassing.

i'm also incredibly afraid of my teeth falling out, so i obsessively brush them. i feel like i can see and feel bacteria on them. If my teeth don't feel clean or i can't brush them for some reason, i flip the fuck out.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    ENFP

Hmm... no phobias.
    ENFP Male: E-74% N-95% F-58% P-84% 3w2
    "I feel there are two people inside me - me and my intuition. If I go against her, she'll screw me every time, and if I follow her, we get along quite nicely." -Kim Basinger