First 123 Last

Thread: NFs and phobias

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Clonester View Post
    Hmm... no phobias.
    For now..
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Spiders(or big bugs), Elevators and Heights. And i'm not bathing anywhere near jellyfish either

Used to have claustrophobia and be afraid of the dark. I love darkness now though and except for elevators, the claustrophobia is gone.

edit: don't like bees either

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I’m wondering if NFs may be particularly prone to phobias. There have been some discussions about anxiety disorders, etc in this forum but maybe not particularly phobias (though is a phobia considered an anxiety disorder?)

I’m a 30 year old female and I’ve had what I’d call low-level fears of flying, thunderstorms, and sudden loud noises for most of my life, but lately they seem to have blossomed into full phobias. I’ve just started having cognitive behavioural therapy sessions for the flying aspect particularly, which is the first time in my life I’ve talked to a psychologist or had therapy, so it feels a bit weird…though the psych is very nice and I think it may help (too soon to tell.)

I had a bad flying experience last year (emergency landing due to a bird strike, and then a flight with lots of turbulence) and since then I’ve had a lot of anxiety before flights, feeling ill, predicting bad turbulence in my mind, feeling frightened for no reason during a smooth flight, that sort of thing. It really sucks because although I have always been at least a slightly nervous flyer, I’ve always been well able to cope with it, until now. The thunderstorm thing, and sudden loud noises generally (like gunshots, even fake ones at the theatre! Though gunshots in films don’t bother me generally), have always been with me too but lately again they seem to be worse. Obviously, the prospect of flying and thunderstorms together is particularly bad…

Besides the trigger experience of the emergency landing, etc last year, I have had quite high stress levels for at least a couple of years and I get the feeling this has exacerbated these fears. But it is distressing to find that what used to be relatively minor fears are getting worse. Especially with flying…I hope the CBT helps, but if it doesn’t or this gets worse, it could seriously affect my life. I live far from my family and many friends, and I love travelling. Not being able to get on a plane is not really an option.

I suspect that NFs may be sensitive to phobias because we are sensitive generally…maybe it’s the violent crashing in of things that make us anxious, into our delicate inner worlds…?

I’d be interested in any insights or experiences…

I don't think we are prone to phobias any more than other types. We might, however, have a lower tolerance to stress.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm afraid of bees and wasps.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I'm a little claustrophobic and I'm afraid of falling.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    if i see a cockroach i have a panic attack...like a real panic attack. I feel helpless and it's actually quite embarrassing.
    Same here same here..

I also get freaked out by paranormal stuff, hah. And I have social anxiety to :p

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm fucking terrified of heights.

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

I am also terrified of cockroaches, but only because I saw some HUGE specimens in South America.

I also have a strange overreaction to Japanese horror films...I still can't watch The Grudge (Japanese version) and will freak out if someone pretends to be that little boy in the film with his mouth opening and that "sound" coming out.
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell

To my knowledge, I have none. I prefer to charge my fears like an elephant lest they consume me rapidly.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Centipedes/milipedes. Nasty little things with so many feet. Bees and wasps are a big one too because they like to nest on my back porch, and those huge fuzzy bumblebees would just hover over the stairs so you couldn't leave the porch. Freaked. Me. Out. I hate the way wasps fly. Those long leg things that hang from them. Ugh. Also I found out recently that cochroaches can FLY. And not in the fun 'lets google this bitch' way, but in the 'it was right next to my hand and flew in front of my face' way.

I don't mind spiders though. Weird.
    ENFP 4w5