• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] INTJ trying to understand an ENFP's actions

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I would love to tell him the true reasons why he flirts are just to validate himself and to feed his ego...that it's completely unhealthy and potentially hurtful to others if taken too far. This to me would be the ideal closure, but there are a lot of risks involved so I'm not sure if it's the best choice. I'll assess that as time passes. Like Lethe said...play it by ear.

An ENFP chick I was interested in a while back was doing some seriously weird ethical manoeuvrings to justify the odd relationship she was attached to (married guy with a wife and kid, guy was going to leave his wife, planned timetable, 7 years, happiness would ensue, he was a great man, made her think, tolerated her temper, heaven awaited all).

But all of that was bullshit, and at some level she knew it, but not at a level that admitted some guy like me saying so to her face.

People do their stupid things for reasons. They're usually deeply attached to their reasons. And one day they stop being deeply attached to their reasons and they pull some 180 turn like nothing happened. But much to my dismay as a Course Charter I have yet to see a person turn that corner just by being told the corner is there.

I think you can call an ENFP on their bullshit if they're in a place where they want to be called on their bullshit by you. And every one of them I have met IRL thus far will always and every time only ever take the call under advisement. One wins next to nothing until they decide for themselves.

thescientist

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
She's outing him? I approve. He fits the profile of a closet denier.
I would definitely agree about the closet denier.

People do their stupid things for reasons. They're usually deeply attached to their reasons. And one day they stop being deeply attached to their reasons and they pull some 180 turn like nothing happened. But much to my dismay as a Course Charter I have yet to see a person turn that corner just by being told the corner is there.

I think you can call an ENFP on their bullshit if they're in a place where they want to be called on their bullshit by you. And every one of them I have met IRL thus far will always and every time only ever take the call under advisement. One wins next to nothing until they decide for themselves.

To out him or not to out him? What if I do it for my own sake, for closure? It would be done in a mature and diplomatic fashion, not a bitter and upset one. Wouldn't an ENFP care that I'm hurt about the whole thing?

Still debating this...Opinions?

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
... FYI I still stand by my posts in this thread.

I haven't read the rest of the thread in detail, but you haven't done anything like what Amargith and I (the ones with actual experience with the INTJ-ENFP match :whistling: edit: forgot about Lethe, sorry! (and others?) :blush:) were talking about, have you?

I hope this adventure ends well for you. :hug:

thescientist

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
... FYI I still stand by my posts in this thread.

I haven't read the rest of the thread in detail, but you haven't done anything like what Amargith and I (the ones with actual experience with the INTJ-ENFP match :whistling: edit: forgot about Lethe, sorry! (and others?) :blush:) were talking about, have you?

I hope this adventure ends well for you. :hug:

Have you read from page 13 on? There are some very important updates there, where I come to an epiphany about the whole thing.

I do value yours and others insight because of your experience, but after knowing what I know now, is the talk still worth the trouble? I'm assuming you're going to say yes?

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Have you read from page 13 on? There are some very important updates there, where I come to an epiphany about the whole thing.

I do value yours and others insight because of your experience, but after knowing what I know now, is the talk still worth the trouble? I'm assuming you're going to say yes?

Yeah, I skim read it, and I think you're rationalizing. It's what we do when we're vulnerable and scared and trying to protect ourselves. :hug:

(I wrote more about that feeling here in case anyone's interested.)

thescientist

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, I skim read it, and I think you're rationalizing. It's what we do when we're vulnerable and scared and trying to protect ourselves. :hug:
:cry: wow, for some reason, that tugged an emotional string just now.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
To out him or not to out him? What if I do it for my own sake, for closure? It would be done in a mature and diplomatic fashion, not a bitter and upset one. Wouldn't an ENFP care that I'm hurt about the whole thing?

Still debating this...Opinions?

My own experience is it goes badly when you try to get other people to provide you with closure. He'll have his own case for hurt, and it'll be something like he's really, really sensitive and no one should try to hold him down, or something, and some part of his case will actually be true despite him being a big girl's blouse.

It's counter intuitive, but really the only way forward, given that you have to see him at work, is to chill out inside and let it go. E's can be really kind of assholes at times like this, they've got the stamina for making their mark on the public environment, which also happens to be your environment, so they make it hard to shut them out.

I dunno. Are you able to talk as equals, or are you both on the run from hurt? If you do end up talking to him, straight forward "I" statements would be better than "you" accusations.

Get some better friends, is maybe the only good way forward.

You can.

:nice:

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
:cry: wow, for some reason, that tugged an emotional string just now.

:hug:

I think his actions sound very compatible with him liking you (if he's attracted to you physically (and he obviously is), then seriously, you've got great odds that he would like you very much indeed, INTJ-ENFP being the match that it is) but not thinking that (or being confused about whether) you like him back.

There are no guarantees in love, and you'd definitely be taking an emotional risk by giving Amargith's and my recommendation a shot... But your odds are so good that if you don't take this shot, I think you'll kick yourself when looking back someday.

I suggest you try approaching him a few times with a heartfelt smile and a positive comment and see if his reaction isn't positive enough (even if he's initially wary) to give you the courage to take him aside and make yourself vulnerable to him by letting him know you really do like him. :heart:

Edit: Wow, that's some contradictory advice you're getting here! :laugh:

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
My own experience is it goes badly when you try to get other people to provide you with closure. He'll have his own case for hurt, and it'll be something like he's really, really sensitive and no one should try to hold him down, or something, and some part of his case will actually be true despite him being a big girl's blouse.

It's counter intuitive, but really the only way forward, given that you have to see him at work, is to chill out inside and let it go. E's can be really kind of assholes at times like this, they've got the stamina for making their mark on the public environment, which also happens to be your environment, so they make it hard to shut them out.

I dunno. Are you able to talk as equals, or are you both on the run from hurt? If you do end up talking to him, straight forward "I" statements would be better than "you" accusations.

I agree with all of this, particularly the bolded parts.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Hey, Scientist?

I'm trying to think of a message here. Something about this many people getting invested in advising you might seem a bit like a lot of pressure. I know I've chosen polarised language in some of my posts, too. But I'd also like to say that whatever else, tomorrow is a new day.

That sounded meaningful when I thought it. Maybe it lost some poetry in the typing.

:cheese:

thescientist

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Hey, Scientist?

I'm trying to think of a message here. Something about this many people getting invested in advising you might seem a bit like a lot of pressure. I know I've chosen polarised language in some of my posts, too. But I'd also like to say that whatever else, tomorrow is a new day.

That sounded meaningful when I thought it. Maybe it lost some poetry in the typing.

:cheese:

:D Aw thanks...I appreciate so much the people who have followed this thread and my story through. I really do... :hug:

:hug:
I think his actions sound very compatible with him liking you (if he's attracted to you physically (and he obviously is), then seriously, you've got great odds that he would like you very much indeed, INTJ-ENFP being the match that it is) but not thinking that (or being confused about whether) you like him back.
If he really liked me, what's stopping him from contacting me? Or asking me out? At this point I am certain he is no longer interested and continues any flirtation at work solely to get a reaction from me to feed his ego.
But your odds are so good that if you don't take this shot, I think you'll kick yourself when looking back someday.
I'm having a hard time seeing how my odds are good right now. :(
I suggest you try approaching him a few times with a heartfelt smile and a positive comment and see if his reaction isn't positive enough (even if he's initially wary) to give you the courage to take him aside and make yourself vulnerable to him by letting him know you really do like him. :heart:
I think I'M the one who needs to be wary of him! I refuse to stroke his ego any further. If he really liked me, he would have demonstrated it somehow by now. Nothing stopped him from pursuing me when he was first interested right?

@Economica I hope none of that sounded defensive or like I was dismissing your advice, because I do value the fact that you have real world experience with ENFP/INTJ. Just rationalizing it all. So please don't feel discouraged to post.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not to add to your confusion, but as the situation is right now, I'd emotionally detach a little, but still stay warm and friendly to him without stroking his ego. Don't seek him out, but also don't avoid him. I'd show myself open to his attention if he's willing to up the ante and prove he's worth it. Not having your full admiration and attention will make him work for it. Just make sure you reward him just enough to keep coming ;)

You're right, he is immature in some ways. But you like him. And he most likely likes you too. It's up to you to decide whether it's worth the emotional investment to check it out further.

Whatever you decide, in your place, I'd try to understand where he comes from, smile at his immaturity (coz those are flaws that are in fact adorable often), but also not let him get away with it. It would limit your amount of emotional confusion, resentment, hurt feelings etc, protect you emotionally if you will, while keeping the option open. Much like you'd smile at a child trying to figure out how to manipulate you or get their way, without holding a grudge. I know it sounds condescending, but it could be just what he needs to grow. And he might be able to do the same for you.

But I wouldn't get emotionally invested until he's shown the will and capacity to grow and invest in it himself.

Good luck :)

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Not to add to your confusion, but as the situation is right now, I'd emotionally detach a little, but still stay warm and friendly to him without stroking his ego. Don't seek him out, but also don't avoid him. I'd show myself open to his attention if he's willing to up the ante and prove he's worth it. Not having your full admiration and attention will make him work for it. Just make sure you reward him just enough to keep coming ;)

You're right, he is immature in some ways. But you like him. And he most likely likes you too. It's up to you to decide whether it's worth the emotional investment to check it out further.

Whatever you decide, in your place, I'd try to understand where he comes from, smile at his immaturity (coz those are flaws that are in fact adorable often), but also not let him get away with it. It would limit your amount of emotional confusion, resentment, hurt feelings etc, protect you emotionally if you will, while keeping the option open. Much like you'd smile at a child trying to figure out how to manipulate you or get their way, without holding a grudge. I know it sounds condescending, but it could be just what he needs to grow. And he might be able to do the same for you.

But I wouldn't get emotionally invested until he's shown the will and capacity to grow and invest in it himself.

Good luck :)

Yeah, that's good advice. :yes:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Hey Scientist, btw - you are so funny, a true INTJ, making me come all the way over to this thread to comment more instead of in the 'flirting' thread!!! ;)

I think I already gave my advice in this thread, I remember your OP but I'll expand on it.

Personally, whatever you do, commit to it, stick to it, and then fuh-get about it.

And I am ALL about confrontation when someone in my life has wronged me or I am confused about their behavior (unless that someone is my neighbors, in which case, we are all at a very nice passive aggressive stalemate lol). Confrontation OR dropping them. No halfsies. Halfsies = death! It's very easy for me to disengage with someone once I know it's a dead end. (Of course, sometimes it's a hellish path to get to that point I no longer "care" enough to hold on)

If he ever comes at you again in an aggressively flirtatious way or just plain comes onto you, ask to speak to him 1 on 1, take him aside, and then tell him very plainly:

"Off the record, I don't like the way you handled our situation. I feel you were disrespectful. This kind of continued behavior is disrespectful. On the record, I have no hard feelings towards you but as far as I am concerned, our relationship is purely professional and ends there. I look forward to working well with you and that's it. I do not invite nor welcome any behavior or comments outside of a professional context. Stop flirting with me Thank you for respecting my wishes."

And in general, be as polite and professional with him as you would with any random stranger.

The whole "be nice and kill him with kindness"

1) FUH-GET THAT. Waste of time and energy.
2) You are INTJ!! :laugh: OMG, the idea of an INTJ going out of their way to be really nice to someone so that someone doesn't think they are 'mean' or 'dislike them' makes me laugh hysterically on the inside. It's not you. Nor does it have to be.
3) You have no obligation to this man anymore other than professional courtesy

If he acts out or flirts with you aggressively again, take him aside one more time and say, "I was serious when I said our relationship is purely professional. Perhaps you are not aware of this, but I consider your last comment or that kind of behavior to be flirtatious and I do not appreciate it. Please treat me like your professional equal."

Third time he gets out of line - slap a sexual harassment suit on his ass! Yeah! How's that for revenge a lesson? :laugh:*

I'm not kidding, I personally would NEVER tolerate this kind of behavior (aggressive flirting, mind games) from someone I worked with, regardless of whether or not I dated them. ESPECIALLY if I had ever dated them. Luckily for you, your HR department and the law protects you from this kind of distracting and unprofessional behavior.

BTW, I speak from personal experience. I have TOTALLY called people out on bad behavior, flirting, etc. and then denying it. At the very least, people will respect you for it. And by respect, I mean adjust their behavior. The only fatal mistake here is that you have allowed him to think he can get away with all this. Show him that he can't.

*that means document every time he flirts aggressively with you, the time and date and place when you told him to back off, and every infraction after that.