User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

This may be a more general human reaction to the sense of losing control over one's life, rather than typological reaction specifically to stress.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I wish I had that! My life would be better if I took any pleasure at organizing things and making lists, etc. Every once in a huge while I do that -- and then I lose the list.

If I'm stressed, I want something that feels good, like massage, food, sex, sleep.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

It's my release. Researching, organizing, rationalizing. If I ever do something sensory-oriented, it's usually because it gives me time to think.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    If you like the Functions-Order theory, they say the 3rd function *is* usually used as a source of relaxation. And as you said, in its own way, using Te could feel "soothing"...
    Interesting, I didn't know that the 3rd function was considered a source of relaxation, but it seems to gel well with what I'm experiencing.

Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    ya...i do that...especially when im stressed and want to avoid people's pity....i turn intj
    Yes, that's part of it, if I have fallen back into this behaviour to get me through it is because I don't want to talk about it, because I really couldn't stomach any pity.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Te for you as ENFP is your Tertiary "relief" (At least this is what I understand it as) and the 3rd position is a more "childlike" function, your Te as such would be less "heavy" than mine as INFP?

So in me, heavy exclusive use of Te would be a sign of being stressed to the max and not so relaxing.
    I really should read up some more on this, there is alot I don't know about why and how the functions work in the order they do. It's very interesting piecing it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    This may be a more general human reaction to the sense of losing control over one's life, rather than typological reaction specifically to stress.

True, that would make sense to.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyGrass View Post
    It's my release. Researching, organizing, rationalizing. If I ever do something sensory-oriented, it's usually because it gives me time to think.
    Yeah, I think I use it to help get me out of my procrastination loop.
    Something Witty

I am with you here.

When I get totally emo freaked and can't figure out what to do next-Ne overload, I make lists.

Then I force my self to start at the first item. Pretty soon I am off and running and I feel my confidence levels picking up as I feel like I am competant and accomplishing things. The aspect of control over the localized things around me seems to help me feel more in control of all my Ne emo as well.

It does also seem to shut down Fi quite a bit and I become very impersonal and blunt but effective.

I learned this my senior year in high school when I would be so overwhelmed with stuff to do and I would verge on minipanic attacks.

Thisguy-that INTJ transition for an entp suddenly makes a lot more sense as I notice some of mine do this and can be real terse, however if it allows them to gain control over chaos I could see it being a useful tool.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

... quick question ...

Someone said Te is hell for other people, why is that?
    I thought I read that people who use Te can organize people well

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    Ok, so unless I have this wrong, Te is expressed by organising things into categories to maximise efficiency, making chore rosters? planning budgets? stuff like that?

Whenever I get really depressed, I find myself naturally falling back onto heavy use of Te to get through that day. I find it soothing to shut down my primary functions and lose myself in organising my life into categories, creating my weekly menu's and shopping lists, matching that to my budget.

My walls begin to look like some control freaks wall, with exact times for each chore to be done, for each person to do their share (because it's up on the wall you know lol) to speed up the process with minimal interruptions.

I don't want to exercise my Ne in a fantasy related way, I don't want to filter anything through my Fi because it's preoccupied with something else and isn;t thinking clearly.
    Certainly rings true for me. I would add here though that I am also doing this in the ideas realm.
    Step 1 -- detaching from any emotions felt connected to the situation/task (lack of motivation, any fears or concerns)
    Step 2 -- if it's a task, like you said, break it down quite well and almost to an extreme into little bits and set time frames for everything. If it's ideas, organize/categorize/prioritize and also use that in debate for following the other person's argument (you missed A or B is not a good analogy). I read somewhere that Te helps present an argument based on facts that are available to everyone.

I am like a robot, I am not communicative except to point out if there is something you need to be doing to be doing your fair share, but that's it.
    Yep. People are very surprised about this though because the Ne crazy person who is constantly cracking up at themselves turns on 'business mode'. I have friends repeatedly ask me if I'm okay. More often than not, I'm a-okay just in Te mode.

In a few days I am myself again, I slip back into my chaotic lifestyle and I feel refreshed.
    I have periods of going back and forth. I think perhaps this is because my job has been pretty stressful this past year so I've been doing it more. Else, my work requires being able to go back and forth between the two.

Do any other NFP's find they need to do this sometimes to clear the cobwebs out?
    Sometimes, I really wish I could use thinking in the interpersonal realm. My relationships are so Ne/Fi ruled which sucks. If I could use Ti more, I'd be making better decisions.

Also, is this an example of stress and the shadow type coming out to play?
    I wonder about this too. I thought it was. I'm curious to hear about this from other people too.

EDIT: and actually, was I even right about this being how Te is expressed?
    Could the folding of laundry and organizing your environment be more Se? Just wondering since its a sensory thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XtremeENFP View Post
    ... quick question ...

Someone said Te is hell for other people, why is that?
    I thought I read that people who use Te can organize people well
    check out the tertiary Te thread that amar started a bit ago in the NF land.

Te isnt really very nice at all to others as it is about accomplishing tasks, items, things, not about cuddling and emo connections.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    If I'm stressed, I want something that feels good, like massage, food, sex, sleep.
    I'm all about loud music, sex, and going over the details of things that I like. With the last thing I think that what I'm doing is trying to find the exact details that make hobby's like linguistics and MBTI appeal so much to me. I'm not so much into massage but I think that's the result of being crazy ticklish . Food and sleep meh. The food thing is really interesting to me because you would think someone with Se would resort to that. Also, have you considered that maybe you're an ENFJ, tilty, rather than INFJ? I would think that you would find stress in the details.

And no, JocktheMotie, I don't use Te when I get stressed as you can see above. It is true that Te and Se are somewhat similar but while I may line up all the details I don't make lists of things to do or make myself more organized when stressed. I don't assign any value to any of the details, I simply acknowledge their presence and strive for a completeness of my perception of them. What's really cool is that I know pretty much everything about my favorite hobbies after I'm stressed or I'm at least quite advanced in comprehending them (If they're a theory for instance.) I've been told that this looks a lot like Ti when I explain theories I like to others.
    "... you think deeply about stuff [that] nobody cares about and hardly anybody can understand you." ~ Peguy talking about Ni users. So true.