• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] new age people?

TSDesigner

MBTI Type
INTJ
Are the NF's the ones who are the most into the new age movement?
Things like chakras, channeling, paranormal, spiritual, meditation, crystals, ufo's, mysteries, ghosts, ESP, astrology, tarot, palmistry, etc.?
Which type is the most new age?
Is it ENFP or INFP or?
Do you own a tie dye shirt?
Do you have any crystals?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Well..

Yes and No.

I'm not apart of any movement. I do what my heart gets me into.

I am very spiritual. Not religious, but Spiritual.

I don't like chakras, channeling, crystals, ghosts, astrology, tarot, or palmistry. It's a bunch of voodoo rubbish imo.

I do meditate on occasion, not for the calming, but for the union of my soul with something greater.

ESP is an interesting subject and I've read a bit of dream books upon the subject and do believe it exists.

I think it's a trend and a movement and I don't like that. I do what I like others don't influence me one bit. I strive for something greater, transcending bliss.

I have two tie dye shirts, but I have made both.

I don't own any crystals.

Have you heard of Unity? It's a new age spiritual teaching. Seeking universal truth. I have recently started going to the Unity Church because it believe in practical religions, as in actually being the best people we can be, and finding God in each of us instead of praising his highest holy name in an over expensive church.

But in the face of all of this, stems love. It's love-based interest. I feel that it truly can open doors for me and my soul and that a lot of it is a bit trendy and superficial, but the intent of it is relevant.

But don't stereotype me, please. I've been stereotyped here enough.

heart

heart on fire
I live in a multicolored volkswagon bus, tye-dye my HAIR, never shave under my pits (I braid it) and live in a group marriage with seven spiritual beings from Sirus A. I don't like Sirus B men, they smell funny and they have pudgy legs.

We all ride around to the different parking lots reading people's fortunes.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Obviously not all NF's are into New Age things, but it is my understanding that most New Age adherents are NF's, just like most self-help bookd readers are NF's. In particular, I read somewhere, that female ENF's are the largest consumer of self-help books. Yoga, well-being, well-roundedness, "empowerment", all are very NF domains. I believe I read somewhere official that most New Agers are NF's, but I don't remember where.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Are the NF's the ones who are the most into the new age movement?
Things like chakras, channeling, paranormal, spiritual, meditation, crystals, ufo's, mysteries, ghosts, ESP, astrology, tarot, palmistry, etc.?
Which type is the most new age?
Is it ENFP or INFP or?
Do you own a tie dye shirt?
Do you have any crystals?

I do not own a tie dye shirt, but I do have 3 hawaiian shirts!

I do not own any crystals, I've had INFJ friends who did and swore by them though.

Again, obviously, not all NF's are into things new agey.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
It could be possible that NF's are more inclined to be into that sort of thing. I belong to another MBTI forum and there's a bunch of New Age threads in the NF section. :p But that's really just a generalization. There are many NF's who don't do that and there are many other types that do. I find that stuff interesting also. I don't really believe in all of it, I just find the concepts interesting.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
This New Age movement, even though it's intents are meaningful, is seen as a trend and followed by a trend by people who think it's a trend. When you live your life around a trend, you've lost the meaning. You can't be so hardcore or focused on any one way or thing and so many people are.

I don't follow anything. I take the little but most meaningful aspects of a lot of things, but don't consider myself a follower of anything. It's all a mess of meaningless rubbish, the whole lot of it, and people float on the surface of trends thinking it gains them better or different social status.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
This New Age movement, even though it's intents are meaningful, is seen as a trend and followed by a trend by people who think it's a trend. When you live your life around a trend, you've lost the meaning. You can't be so hardcore or focused on any one way or thing and so many people are.

I don't follow anything. I take the little but most meaningful aspects of a lot of things, but don't consider myself a follower of anything. It's all a mess of meaningless rubbish, the whole lot of it, and people float on the surface of trends thinking it gains them better or different social status.

:Yes:

Many of the best things for people are twisted by 'trendsetters' who want to make it 'hip.' I see things like that and cringe because they turned the idea into something entirely different. New Age isnt New Age without the spiritual adherents that follow it because their heart says so, not because some guy on TV says crystals cure cancer or or something.

I don't believe in crystals. How is a pretty rock going to help me? Meditation is more useful.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
:Yes:

Many of the best things for people are twisted by 'trendsetters' who want to make it 'hip.' I see things like that and cringe because they turned the idea into something entirely different. New Age isnt New Age without the spiritual adherents that follow it because their heart says so, not because some guy on TV says crystals cure cancer or or something.

I don't believe in crystals. How is a pretty rock going to help me? Meditation is more useful.

Amen, my friend.

Humans and humanly objects don't cure humans on a spiritual level, theres a greater force that must be seen but isn't. That's why I have a problem with such worldly objects as crystals and tarots and all these accessories that don't do a whole lot. It should be you, your mind, your heart, and transcendence, God, a universal being (assuming you believe in one) and nothing more, nothing less.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Amen, my friend.

Humans and humanly objects don't cure humans on a spiritual level, theres a greater force that must be seen but isn't. That's why I have a problem with such worldly objects as crystals and tarots and all these accessories that don't do a whole lot. It should be you, your mind, your heart, and transcendence, God, a universal being (assuming you believe in one) and nothing more, nothing less.

trees and bushes and grass do emit a lot of chi...and plenty of oxygen as well

But that's a taoist observation, and this thread is about "new age"

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
trees and bushes and grass do emit a lot of chi...and plenty of oxygen as well

But that's a taoist observation, and this thread is about "new age"

I do think it can be connected, though. Taosim was about simplicity, pureness, and whole and well being. Shouldn't we all try to be like that? Losing track of all of these attraction in life- money, sex, drugs, cats, whatever your link be. I think New Age and Taoism can be related in that both are striving to create a more Pure individual with less string attached.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
I want to learn more about what meditation is all about, but whenever I look at a book or site it just seems like gimmicky hippy nonsense. Read awhile back that there are real benefits to meditation that have scientific backing. :(

One Day

MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
My mom loves everything that's New Age and I think she's an I/ENFJ. She owns tarot cards, crystals, crystal balls, Enya CD's, books about feng shui, self healing etc etc. She would enjoy discussing all this stuff with my ESFP dad who would just simply nod back... :yes:

I think that's why I find it all annoying now. :devil: Though Enya's music is alright.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
My mom loves everything that's New Age and I think she's an I/ENFJ. She owns tarot cards, crystals, crystal balls, Enya CD's, books about feng shui, self healing etc etc. She would enjoy discussing all this stuff with my ESFP dad who would just simply nod back... :yes:

I think that's why I find it all annoying now. :devil: Though Enya's music is alright.

I enjoy New Age music. It's fairly soothing and helps me be pensive. Enigma is a good group that really triggers the soul.

TSDesigner

MBTI Type
INTJ
I got exposed to a lot of self help materials (which I use) by people on the internet who are also into paranormal things. I always thought it was odd that they were interested in both the paranormal and self help stuff about making more money and other things. I heard that extroverts are oriented towards wanting material things and security, according to MBTI theory, so that part explains a little about the ENF's using self help materials.

One Day

MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
I enjoy New Age music. It's fairly soothing and helps me be pensive. Enigma is a good group that really triggers the soul.

True. New Age music is one of my guilty pleasures. :D

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I do think it can be connected, though. Taosim was about simplicity, pureness, and whole and well being. Shouldn't we all try to be like that? Losing track of all of these attraction in life- money, sex, drugs, cats, whatever your link be. I think New Age and Taoism can be related in that both are striving to create a more Pure individual with less string attached.

Many things can be related, especially as the connections become more tenuous. I can easily connect Taoism with Buddhism, but I think most people would be relatively hard pressed to connect Buddhism with New Age, at least if they knew anything about Buddhism. Sure, there is always "be a better person" and the like, but on a deeper level not so similar. As a Buddhist/Taoist/more with New Age friends, I assure you that the differences are large and fundamental.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I want to learn more about what meditation is all about, but whenever I look at a book or site it just seems like gimmicky hippy nonsense. Read awhile back that there are real benefits to meditation that have scientific backing. :(

Try stuff on buddhism, and zen in particular. Other schools of Buddhism have their selling points as well. Some martial arts schools teach this genre of meditation as well. Most of the above will be generally applicable, ie not-buddhist in flavor. "Pay attention to your breathing, when your mind wanders return it to your breathing", nothing particularly requiring a buddhist orientation/perspective there.

There are scientifically shown benefits of meditation: as I recall reduced stress, improved serotonin levels, more oxygen in the blood, reduced stress kind of stuff. Similar results for tai chi and yogic stretching/postures.

Find meditation that is about either maintaining internal awareness and/or paying attention to breathing, that should divest you of any of that 'gimmicky hippy nonsense'. The hindu/yoga stuff, that could go either way. Yogic stuff as taught in this country is rather sterilized and would be similar to the breath and buddhism stuff mentioned above. Some of the Hindu stuff, well, gets rather "flowery", which may or may not be someone's 'cup of tea', and it sounds like its not yours.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Try stuff on buddhism, and zen in particular. Other schools of Buddhism have their selling points as well. Some martial arts schools teach this genre of meditation as well. Most of the above will be generally applicable, ie not-buddhist in flavor. "Pay attention to your breathing, when your mind wanders return it to your breathing", nothing particularly requiring a buddhist orientation/perspective there.

There are scientifically shown benefits of meditation: as I recall reduced stress, improved serotonin levels, more oxygen in the blood, reduced stress kind of stuff. Similar results for tai chi and yogic stretching/postures.

Find meditation that is about either maintaining internal awareness and/or paying attention to breathing, that should divest you of any of that 'gimmicky hippy nonsense'. The hindu/yoga stuff, that could go either way. Yogic stuff as taught in this country is rather sterilized and would be similar to the breath and buddhism stuff mentioned above. Some of the Hindu stuff, well, gets rather "flowery", which may or may not be someone's 'cup of tea', and it sounds like its not yours.

As a melting pot of cultures and people, all the cultures that come into the States gets sterilized, watered down, or is only followed by a small traditional following. The only mass religion I find is Christianity followed by Islam then by other New Agey things (but those two are far in the lead)

Though I am not well read and may be way off.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
As a melting pot of cultures and people, all the cultures that come into the States gets sterilized, watered down, or is only followed by a small traditional following. The only mass religion I find is Christianity followed by Islam then by other New Agey things (but those two are far in the lead)

Though I am not well read and may be way off.

Judaism?

WRT yoga, there are debates teachers have between "yoga means so much to me and I want to share it with everyone who will listen! now lets chant and dance and whatever our chakras" vs "this is america, hinduism is not native and is very culturally different, all this esoteric subtle stuff is pretty out there in the minds of many or at best they can't relate, and we don't want to scare off people so lets just do the asanas and talk about tuning in with our bodies and emotions and leave ganesha out of it"

I am not sure what you mean by "traditional following". The vast majority of people whom I have met that practice Taoism, or Buddhism for that matter, are white americans of european descent.

I agree with your apparent overall gist however. I simply wanted to expand more on what I was referring to above and point out one general observation of my own.