• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] new age people?

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
What do you think of Dr Deepak Chopra? A friend recently asked me to listen to one of his conferences and tell him what I thought of it. I wasn't too impressed. I think he's just another New Age guru who uses science to back up his esoteric claims.

Omission1234

I know this thread has not been written in, in over three years but I just stumbled across it sooo:

I did feel NF's would be more represented in spiritualism and alternative religious traditions/ practices not tied to churches. Yes this does depend on your environment in a sense. What is expected of a "normal" citizen , practices and behaviours etc.. I only have sweeping statements here but I do believe NF's are more represented because of intuitive reactions, instincts and judgments to help rationalize and organize our environments and perceptions. Feeling is how we receive these "messages" and how they are processed.

I think when dealing with the subject matter of many spiritualist, new age and even wiccan accounts of first person narratives/ experiences they are often described in terms and pre concieved idea's found only in the context and culture of these belief systems. Therefore many people who talk to a "new ager" or "spiritualist" etc etc when they themselves do not believe in the traditions and culture associated with certain beliefs they may find it hard to fully intake a "scientific" and "proper" (whether that be a western standard monotheistic) viewpoint and cosmology of this group.
-I do believe in the subject of spiritualism especially that their members place a large emphasis on scientific justification. This is interesting and who knows where it will go for the future but the reason they probably have a strong belief besides the connection to "spirit" is that they believe their practices are and I mean wholly pure science and therefore justifiable in the western mindframe. They usually are not, but recently more scientists have been working with spiritualists and sort of interpreting first person experiences with "spirits", "mediumship", "astral projection", "telekenesis" and "clairvoyance" into tangible evidence in results from physiological tests. Mainly in neuroscience and neural psychology.

Anywhooooo:

I just wanted to say also that the difference between tv paranormal, psychic, mediumship and alternate realities is usually geared towards a very different perspective than that of spiritualists, new agers and wiccan's. It is usually a wierd amalgamation of very traditional monotheistic beliefs in satan, god, angels, demons and they are mixed with mediums and spirits. It isn't like this in the worldview of spiritualists, new agers and wiccan's. I find that alot of people interested in these topics are moreso to believe alot of these tv shows and they whole heartedly believe them because in a way they have experienced the events with the tv programme. The same is seen in reality tv. I do not think trends are a terrible thing, it just shows that people are interested in unexplained events and they want to believe in something new, different, challenging and more than themselves. Tv programmes like "medium" "paranormal state" are just a window be it real or not to another possibility for the viewers and they can go along on this "experience"

i guess everyone's perspective and experiences are closely tied to their belief structures and we use these "cultures" and contexts to communicate or interpret our own experiences to those around us.

I do believe in prophetic dreams, dream/ astral projection, esp, theoretical physics, empaths, mediumship, tarot cards, spirits (past, present( alot of people would disagree here, future), chakras, psychic abilities, yoga ( i love hot yoga) I am vegan and do not eat gluten (i love tostito's.. life isn't always fair :( ) I also do alot of automatic writing and I have seen people in my waking life I know aren't from this reality. I don't believe too much in demons, angels and satan. I believe there are negative and positive people in life whether they be from the past, present or future. There are many things I dont understand but I just think we are all energy and there are many other realities in our own universe overlapped. I don't talk about these to really anyone in my normal life. I figured there is a thread about it and its the internet sooo hey :bye:

Also if you like most people think hey "she is totally nuts" well I am not suffering from any illness' or disorders. Except gluten and milk allergies. And I'm not a weirdo who is anti social or lying about my social life, I'm pretty normal in everything I do. Maybe a little eccentric but all in all passing "normal".

Soo if you read all of that! High Five! :hug: five gold stars for you! Winner!

dieValkyrie

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hm, well I was raised by a pretty New Age mother, I grew up with Enya playing in the background and getting quartz crystals for gifts and such.

So that really cultivated this magical world view in me as a child and I was absolutely fascinated by the paranormal and the occult, believing totally in it.

I really wanted to be a "witch" and went through a Wiccan phase in middle school. It was pretty silly, lol. My Christian aunt used to think I was possessed by the devil because I talked about demons and spells so much.

However, by the time I graduated high school I became really disillusioned with that world view and I guess as most kids that age do I felt a need to rebel against the way I was raised so I became an atheist and denounced any sort of inexplicable phenomena as having a mundane rational cause. I was really angry I guess that the world wasn't this sunshine and rainbows place where karma rewarded good people. The world is truly terrible and it really broke me.

As time went on though I became interested in the occult again and discovered chaos magic and more specifically the theory of pragmatic magic, one in which practicing magic requires no belief in any deities or really in any sort of spirituality. Rather it focused on the theoretical mechanics of magic and that really appealed to me. So I guess around the age of 20 was when I got into that and started doing a lot of sigil work and crazy ritual magic. It was kinda dark and weird, but really cathartic and transgressive for me.

I haven't done any of that stuff though in probably almost a year. I guess it was more of a phase.

Now I'm 22 and I'm beginning to get a little more spiritual, I had a journey of really figuring out what I believe in these past few post-high school years and I think it was good for me. I have a solid grounding in logic and rationale, but I can still wonder about the unknown. I guess that'd be a good word for my outlook, "wonder", rather than "faith". I'm not committed to anything spiritual yet, but the spiritual is very much a part of me and I've always felt connected to that unseen side of the world.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=17440]dieValkyrie[/MENTION] the world as you say I also believe to be (at least under the human condition) a very terrible place, and as such, New Age idealism can indeed be an escape from the pains of the physical, though I believe true transcendant power will be found within the mind, rather than through superstitious rituals.

If anything in this world is magic, it is, as I said, going to be unlocked mentally, for when we put our trust in something our mind is behind, it gives it energy and manifests, and although this does not necessarily create solid things, such magic can create energetic fields to make something immanent, our intention producing certain events in the world.

And lastly, these higher spiritual powers invoked via new age magic clearly do not truly care for humanity, because if they did, they would have actually done something to heal the human condition. It follows that if we wish to seek our salvation, it will not come from God on high, but rather the answer will be found through our own inner divine nature.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To Know the Unknown (Innosense) - Mysteries of the Universe - Secrets of the Cosmos

Candlelight

MBTI Type
xxxx
I know a guy who is really into New Age stuff that is probably an ISFP stuck in a Fi-Ni loop.

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Well, I was essentially raised as sort of Methodist.

I read a 1930s book on Tibetan mysticism when I was in the tenth grade.

I'd also read lots of Asimov, and i found out that he was a secular humanist. Thus, in the tenth grade I decided to leave God and explore for a while.

I read different stuff, and considered myself new age agnostic until probably my senior year.

Then I moved to more pantheistic, shamanic type beliefs. Also, there was the occult.

I was also into self-cutting, and mental illness, so my therapist said I needed to get more "down to earth", so maybe that's why I got more pantheistic or occult.

Then I had a "born again" Christian thing. I became disillusioned with Baptists, and went more "helping the poor" type Christianity, small churches...with active poverty aid programs and big real-needs type missions.

I had periods of agnosticism. I was also involved with several denominations of Christianity.

Then I converted to Catholic.

All this was punctuated with insanity.

Eventually I was Catholic and going to all sorts of 12 step programs.

Now I consider myself a freethinker, I guess.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hmm, I don't know, just being "new age" and buying into everything you hear about mystical things sounds kind of like a not-so-idea-oriented person. Just a repetition and regurgitation of theologies just as much as your traditionalists. It does seem like an NF thing I suppose because it's all so nebulous and fuzzy without rules.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know a guy who is really into New Age stuff that is probably an ISFP stuck in a Fi-Ni loop.

And I've been accused of being in a TiNi loop (partially due to beliefs I have promoted along New Age lines). Can you explain how these Ni loops relate to beliefs like New Age stuff, or just in general what the loops entail?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
The New Age religion confuses the hell out of me. Somehow they think that everyone can be Gods or so I am to understand? They things like I'm God, you're God, that piece of furniture that you're sitting on is God, and we're all God? WTF?

Candlelight

MBTI Type
xxxx
And I've been accused of being in a TiNi loop (partially due to beliefs I have promoted along New Age lines). Can you explain how these Ni loops relate to beliefs like New Age stuff, or just in general what the loops entail?

Well, I think that Ni gives interest in mystic beliefs to some people. This function is strongly linked with that sometimes... and as I know he's self-proclaimed a Ni user I draw this conclusion. His IxTP ex-girlfriend thinks the same too.

He has plenty of Fi and Ni (and is certainly not an INTJ), once he said. Never thought about it deeper than that, though, as he's just a distant friend of mine (more of an acquaintance, I may say), so I couldn't pratically analyze him well.

krypton1te

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I think ENFPs are more obvious and serious about it.

My ENFP friend brought me to some spiritual gathering where they discuss faeries and the divine... I left after 20 minutes. It was awkward and it was a waste of my time. I didn't buy any of it.

I don't believe in horoscopes, but I believe in astrology. There is some truth to it and the patterns are there. It's actually very interesting. Other than that, I've tried to get myself to believe in tarot readings, psychics, channeling, crystals, etc, but I'm always skeptical about it. I find it difficult for me to buy any of it.

I had another ENFP friend who wanted me to build some healing lamp with him. His logic was: it's suppose to get rid of negative energy so I can finally work on myself and hopefully find a job. I told him it was a stupid idea and that if he wanted to change, he would make it happen for himself rather than depend on some lamp with some wishful thinking.