User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: new age people?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Perhaps some clarification would be order. I see at least 4 groups coming up in discussion here: New Age, metaphysics, eastern, pagan. Personally, I'm not particularly sure what distinguishes the first and second from each other. The first, second, and fourth may very well all share similarities making it more important to draw defining lines. For example using crystals for healing. Even the second acknowledges it can be done [I've seen it discussed in books on taoism and chi kung for example] but places low priority on it, but I think the 1st 2nd and 4th all actually do it.

Correct me if I am wrong but we all seem to think that the 1st is sort of "the new kids on the block", perhaps somewhat misguided in their approach, and perhaps not actually very good at what they do.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

IME New agey people are the ones most likely to talk about "the energy." As in "the energy of this room is bad" "[peron's] energy is bad" "this pencils energy is bad", "I'm getting a bad feeling about this", etc.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    Perhaps some clarification would be order. I see at least 4 groups coming up in discussion here: New Age, metaphysics, eastern, pagan. Personally, I'm not particularly sure what distinguishes the first and second from each other. The first, second, and fourth may very well all share similarities making it more important to draw defining lines. For example using crystals for healing. Even the second acknowledges it can be done [I've seen it discussed in books on taoism and chi kung for example] but places low priority on it, but I think the 1st 2nd and 4th all actually do it.

Correct me if I am wrong but we all seem to think that the 1st is sort of "the new kids on the block", perhaps somewhat misguided in their approach, and perhaps not actually very good at what they do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    IME New agey people are the ones most likely to talk about "the energy." As in "the energy of this room is bad" "[peron's] energy is bad" "this pencils energy is bad", "I'm getting a bad feeling about this", etc.

Yeah, New Age is overrated. But there are a few themes of it that I like. I love metaphysics. It's funny but not a lot of New Age-ers are aware of Metaphysics or at least really aware of it..but then again, how can be be sure we even know what we're talking about. As for paganism, I haven't really thought of it. Native American myth is considered Paganism to a degree so I guess I believe in it.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

Default Strange but true

Hmmm, this is a very interesting question. I have a very strong science background but don't entirely discount someone having a different belief system.

While I was living in South America I took part in a Candomble ritual in Bahia, Brazil. This is very different from "voodoo" which is considered a channeling of more negative forces,or "black magic," as was explained to me by the locals. The ritual involved inducing a trance on a participant and taking away evil spirits through the actions of the priestess. She called out all the non-local people to take part (obviously I was a doubting thomas)and I have to say I experienced the most overwhelming sense of euphoria that took over my body. My friend also took part and years later she said she experienced nothing to what I described. To this day I don't understand what happened, but I just accept it.

So, although I don't believe in New Age for myself, I don't discount it. I also have no crystals, tie-dyed shirts but I do like Enya.
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell

MBTI
    ENFP

No, that shit's retarded.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by TSDesigner View Post
    Are the NF's the ones who are the most into the new age movement?
    Things like chakras, channeling, paranormal, spiritual, meditation, crystals, ufo's, mysteries, ghosts, ESP, astrology, tarot, palmistry, etc.?
    Don't own a tie dye shirt or crystals.
    Love paranormal, spiritual, meditation, ghosts, ESP, astrology, tarot, palmistry and self help books. Saw a psychic twice.

Got to keep an open mind.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Unrelated to type, I've seen many people of many types be new agey. My mom is an ENFJ so I've been exposed to this kind of thing and met many different people.

So yeah. Not a type correlation.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

I've dabbled in all that stuff, but then again, I've dabbled in just about everything.

Die-hard New-Agers creep me out, but I like a lot of ideas that come out of that movement.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Wonkavision View Post
    I've dabbled in all that stuff, but then again, I've dabbled in just about everything.

Die-hard New-Agers creep me out, but I like a lot of ideas that come out of that movement.
    Us ENFP like to dabble here and there, and places we shouldn't be but don't regret going. It gives the softness a little edge.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    intp

When I was a teenager, I went to a new age happening with my mom who was interested in new age. We were very disappointed. The whole happening was a horrible hoax. Someone took low-quality "aura photos" and asked a lot of money for them-- they were photos taken with a lousy filter technique. Someone gave a speech about her "healing paintings" which were supposed to cure things like cancer and, of course, asked a lot of money for them. Someone sold tapes with an "angel meditation programme" to follow. And some people there seemed to be very much into that stuff. How could they be so gullible? I really don't see NFs in general to be like that.

Although a few of my NF friends did take part in a new age sort of thing last year... Turned out the "leader" of the cult was a narcissist. Luckily, my friends didn't get hooked on the thing, but left in time.

I do think there are some good ideas in new age, like many religions being paths that lead to the same God etc... but all the cults, hoaxes and silly trends around new age are repulsive.