User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: new age people?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    trees and bushes and grass do emit a lot of chi...and plenty of oxygen as well

But that's a taoist observation, and this thread is about "new age"
    I do think it can be connected, though. Taosim was about simplicity, pureness, and whole and well being. Shouldn't we all try to be like that? Losing track of all of these attraction in life- money, sex, drugs, cats, whatever your link be. I think New Age and Taoism can be related in that both are striving to create a more Pure individual with less string attached.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INTP

I want to learn more about what meditation is all about, but whenever I look at a book or site it just seems like gimmicky hippy nonsense. Read awhile back that there are real benefits to meditation that have scientific backing.

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4

My mom loves everything that's New Age and I think she's an I/ENFJ. She owns tarot cards, crystals, crystal balls, Enya CD's, books about feng shui, self healing etc etc. She would enjoy discussing all this stuff with my ESFP dad who would just simply nod back...

I think that's why I find it all annoying now. Though Enya's music is alright.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by RBounce View Post
    My mom loves everything that's New Age and I think she's an I/ENFJ. She owns tarot cards, crystals, crystal balls, Enya CD's, books about feng shui, self healing etc etc. She would enjoy discussing all this stuff with my ESFP dad who would just simply nod back...

I think that's why I find it all annoying now. Though Enya's music is alright.
    I enjoy New Age music. It's fairly soothing and helps me be pensive. Enigma is a good group that really triggers the soul.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

MBTI
    INTJ

I got exposed to a lot of self help materials (which I use) by people on the internet who are also into paranormal things. I always thought it was odd that they were interested in both the paranormal and self help stuff about making more money and other things. I heard that extroverts are oriented towards wanting material things and security, according to MBTI theory, so that part explains a little about the ENF's using self help materials.

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
    I enjoy New Age music. It's fairly soothing and helps me be pensive. Enigma is a good group that really triggers the soul.
    True. New Age music is one of my guilty pleasures.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    I do think it can be connected, though. Taosim was about simplicity, pureness, and whole and well being. Shouldn't we all try to be like that? Losing track of all of these attraction in life- money, sex, drugs, cats, whatever your link be. I think New Age and Taoism can be related in that both are striving to create a more Pure individual with less string attached.
    Many things can be related, especially as the connections become more tenuous. I can easily connect Taoism with Buddhism, but I think most people would be relatively hard pressed to connect Buddhism with New Age, at least if they knew anything about Buddhism. Sure, there is always "be a better person" and the like, but on a deeper level not so similar. As a Buddhist/Taoist/more with New Age friends, I assure you that the differences are large and fundamental.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    I want to learn more about what meditation is all about, but whenever I look at a book or site it just seems like gimmicky hippy nonsense. Read awhile back that there are real benefits to meditation that have scientific backing.
    Try stuff on buddhism, and zen in particular. Other schools of Buddhism have their selling points as well. Some martial arts schools teach this genre of meditation as well. Most of the above will be generally applicable, ie not-buddhist in flavor. "Pay attention to your breathing, when your mind wanders return it to your breathing", nothing particularly requiring a buddhist orientation/perspective there.

There are scientifically shown benefits of meditation: as I recall reduced stress, improved serotonin levels, more oxygen in the blood, reduced stress kind of stuff. Similar results for tai chi and yogic stretching/postures.

Find meditation that is about either maintaining internal awareness and/or paying attention to breathing, that should divest you of any of that 'gimmicky hippy nonsense'. The hindu/yoga stuff, that could go either way. Yogic stuff as taught in this country is rather sterilized and would be similar to the breath and buddhism stuff mentioned above. Some of the Hindu stuff, well, gets rather "flowery", which may or may not be someone's 'cup of tea', and it sounds like its not yours.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    Try stuff on buddhism, and zen in particular. Other schools of Buddhism have their selling points as well. Some martial arts schools teach this genre of meditation as well. Most of the above will be generally applicable, ie not-buddhist in flavor. "Pay attention to your breathing, when your mind wanders return it to your breathing", nothing particularly requiring a buddhist orientation/perspective there.

There are scientifically shown benefits of meditation: as I recall reduced stress, improved serotonin levels, more oxygen in the blood, reduced stress kind of stuff. Similar results for tai chi and yogic stretching/postures.

Find meditation that is about either maintaining internal awareness and/or paying attention to breathing, that should divest you of any of that 'gimmicky hippy nonsense'. The hindu/yoga stuff, that could go either way. Yogic stuff as taught in this country is rather sterilized and would be similar to the breath and buddhism stuff mentioned above. Some of the Hindu stuff, well, gets rather "flowery", which may or may not be someone's 'cup of tea', and it sounds like its not yours.
    As a melting pot of cultures and people, all the cultures that come into the States gets sterilized, watered down, or is only followed by a small traditional following. The only mass religion I find is Christianity followed by Islam then by other New Agey things (but those two are far in the lead)

Though I am not well read and may be way off.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
    As a melting pot of cultures and people, all the cultures that come into the States gets sterilized, watered down, or is only followed by a small traditional following. The only mass religion I find is Christianity followed by Islam then by other New Agey things (but those two are far in the lead)

Though I am not well read and may be way off.
    Judaism?

WRT yoga, there are debates teachers have between "yoga means so much to me and I want to share it with everyone who will listen! now lets chant and dance and whatever our chakras" vs "this is america, hinduism is not native and is very culturally different, all this esoteric subtle stuff is pretty out there in the minds of many or at best they can't relate, and we don't want to scare off people so lets just do the asanas and talk about tuning in with our bodies and emotions and leave ganesha out of it"

I am not sure what you mean by "traditional following". The vast majority of people whom I have met that practice Taoism, or Buddhism for that matter, are white americans of european descent.

I agree with your apparent overall gist however. I simply wanted to expand more on what I was referring to above and point out one general observation of my own.