User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Default Do ever go through periods of intense empathy?

I swear some times are worse than others. At the risk of sounding like a nut job, sometimes, the emotional "noise" in a room of people is overwhelming. There are sometimes certain individuals that I'm particularly aware of their feelings (maybe very good at reading their body language?), and even certain times of the year that this trait comes out to play more. I'll be listening to them talk and be flooded with empathetic emotional response, to the point of tears. (I hardly ever cry over my own self, btw)

Anyone have theories, assuming it's not some spiritual phenomenon?
    I think I think more than you think I think.

MBTI
    INFP

No theories, but I relate very well. It can be exhausting. Sometimes I wish I could shut it off.
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Me three.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Happens to me a lot.

It's like a flud of empathy chilling my body when these occurances come around and I feel like I could just start crying for no reason.

I wish I could control it, because it really takes a toll on me sometimes, but I guess it strengthens our emotions, I don't know.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

It's like a radio that's always on in the background. Sometimes there's a song playing I like, sometimes not.

It can be challenging indeed. Only now in my 40's am I understanding this part of myself more and more. Don't really have any answers though, I just try to make sure I have time to recharge and let the emotions I pick up distill through me somehow.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Yes, but by "periods" I personally mean "almost always". To me, plenty of people I just "feel" and that's that, where as others it feels more like they are "dumping on" and "stealing from" me. Usually I have very strong self/not-self awareness/boundaries so it generally doesn't "take over" me, but yeah generally I can't not feel it. For me it really varies on where I am, as in physical location. For example, at a store or check out line or the DMV its totally there, at school or work there's frequently little of it. That can probably largely be attributed to T/F differences, some people just aren't very emotional/expressive or emotionally-experiencing-themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyGrass View Post
    I swear some times are worse than others. At the risk of sounding like a nut job, sometimes, the emotional "noise" in a room of people is overwhelming. There are sometimes certain individuals that I'm particularly aware of their feelings (maybe very good at reading their body language?), and even certain times of the year that this trait comes out to play more. I'll be listening to them talk and be flooded with empathetic emotional response, to the point of tears. (I hardly ever cry over my own self, btw)

Anyone have theories, assuming it's not some spiritual phenomenon?
    Yep, I'm guessing you get similar to us but in emotional form. You guys are meant to have a very strong link to the emotions of those around you. So I can see how an emotional room could sometimes be overwhelming, and also the emotions of another person in a conversation. Even when these things are very subtle.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    INFJ

I'm not quite that sensitive to other people's energy except anger, I really feel that one. I might have fine tuned myself to anger from growing up with my moody father. I used to know if he was home by the feel in the air, and whether it was a safe energy or an angry energy. I do sometimes get overcome with empathy when for instance: I see a little old lady eating alone or feeding the birds, a child standing there helpless while he's being scolded by a parent...things like that. It can make my heart ache.

Enneagram

Yes and sometimes I find it irritating.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Oddly Refined View Post
    Yes and sometimes I find it irritating.
    I know, right? Sometimes, it would be nice to wake up and have a blissfully ignorant and normal day to just enjoy and be happy. I envy SFs for that, sometimes. ::sigh::

This weekend was a particularly interesting one...a friend's parents got divorced, and the dad brought his new girlfriend to a gathering. Awkward. I could feel the mom's pain from across the room, and honestly, I just wished she weren't there. And, of course, felt like a jerk for it for the rest of the day.
    I think I think more than you think I think.