• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFPs attract unusual people?

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
By unusual I do not mean the good type of unusual. I mean the old/creepy/stalkerish/disturbed/unstable/mental disorder unusual.

It seems like no stable guys are interested in me. They barely notice that I exist. The weird ones, however, notice me immedietely and fall head over heels in love with me.

Any theories as to WHY this happens? I've heard lots of stories from INFPs that go this way, so is this an INFP thing, or just me?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Wisful try, but I think thats more INFJ business.

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
I don't know whether it's INFP or INFJ business, but yes Coeur, ever since I was young I've always attracted the "strange" people, whether romantically or otherwise. It used to be a running joke with my friends in high school, except for the times when it got actually scary.

If you're open and/or kind, especially if you pay people attention when others tend to overlook them, I think they'll naturally be drawn to you. Who doesn't like attention? Also, some people can sense a pushover, which INFP's can tend to be in certain situations.

I find it sad that sometimes when I make eye contact and smile at people, or focus on what they're saying in a very non flirtatious, general way, they seem to brighten up like it's never happened before. I'm sure it's true of any type, though, that a person who attempts to treat all people decently is bound to attract people who don't otherwise get treated decently.

And P.S. - I'm sure there are (or will be) stable guys interested in you! Either you haven't met them yet, or they're just not crazy enough to go running up to you and blurting it out. :) Sane is good... sane is good.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
By unusual I do not mean the good type of unusual. I mean the old/creepy/stalkerish/disturbed/unstable/mental disorder unusual.

It seems like no stable guys are interested in me. They barely notice that I exist. The weird ones, however, notice me immedietely and fall head over heels in love with me.

Any theories as to WHY this happens? I've heard lots of stories from INFPs that go this way, so is this an INFP thing, or just me?

Because they sense you're not going to reject them for being disturbed?

I attract all different types of people and I'll be friendly to anyone, but when I detect imbalance, the creeper repellent comes out.

whimsical

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
i like weird people, i find them more interesting than "normal" people

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
i like weird people, i find them more interesting than "normal" people

Ooh, good thought. Me too. I don't like to be around people who literally make me feel frightened, but even when people are a bit creepy, I do find them interesting. I remember when some random person approached me at a book sale and started talking all about vampires and the Da Vinci code and how his sister was supernaturally pregnant with eight children. I made sure we had plenty of space between us so I could escape if he started trying to drink my blood or anything, but I was too amused and intrigued to walk away, at least for the first five minutes. :)

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'd say all of that makes sense. I'm nice to people that nobody else notices, and they misinterpret it.

I like "weird" people too. I just don't want to date them. It gets very messy.

demimondaine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
this is true for me. seem to have inherited it -- be it my tolerance or my "come talk to me" pheromones -- from my mother, who i believe is ENFJ.

jimboworld

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yeah I get this and have noticed a pattern in my dealings with people. I don't mind that people think I would be accepting of their less than perfect selves. Not sure about INFJs. They probably appear accepting but go through a slap on the forehead response in their head.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE

You're too nice and accomodating and you don't demand a high level of behavior from people you interact with. People can sense they can make their way into your life and that you will put up with them. You seem pliable to them. Also, people probably can sense a bit of kookiness or difference in you and so they think you are basically their soul mate. Basically, they aren't scared of you at all.

It's related but separate from the "why do people keep leeching off me?" and "why do I attract so many needy/user people?"

It is a textbook NF problem, moreso for INFPs and second ENFPs.

I wrote this in Jewelchild's thread about her scizophrenic customer and I'll say it again, I have especially seen this in INFPs - you need to really, really work on not making yourself so accessible for every random that you bump into in life and you need to become very cognizant of the unspoken signals you send people. And basically work on boundaries and assertiveness.

If I sound harsh it's because that's the tone you need to learn to take sometimes so that people know you are not going to put up with their shenanigans.

If you don't learn to put up strong boundaries and put more "tough" into the love you have for the world you will continue to attract unwanted and even dangerous behavior from people and eventually you will have no one to blame but yourself.

The funny thing is is that Fi is often so cold and even awkward seeming to the outside word and INFPs can be extremely introverted and quiet - and yet there is something that seems soft and welcoming and accessible to Fi-doms that makes us seem "people friendly" - and I have definitely seen some INFPs who have a really hard time making healthy and clear boundaries with people and continually get taken advantage of or allow unhealthy people into their lives.

Trust me, the reason you are attracting nutty and creepy people is because you give the impression that you are available to them and you will put up with them. As soon as you stop sending out this signal, the randoms and kooks will stop flocking to you. I speak partly from experience. Either that or you seem hella "eccentric" to people which isn't necessarily a bad thing...

So more so than shooting down the unstable ones when they try to court you, it's about becoming the person who demands a certain standard of behavior from people and the unstable ones will never even try to court you in the first place.

Does any of this resonate with you or am I way off base?

Strawberrylover

MBTI Type
ENFP

Like you, my very close INFP friend meets the weirdest of the weirdos. He's like a magnet for the strange. He could take a walk around the neighborhood and witches, Republicans and people in the midst of psychotic breaks with reality would come out of the woodworks. OK just kidding about Republicans... maybe. ;)

I think it's because INFPs are the softest people persons of all and are the least judgmental when they meet new people. ENFPs are open, but we're not as out there. We lead with our Ne, not with Fi. INFJs have a strong protective shell.

Not sure about ENFJs. I think some of them could be part of the weirdo pack. And according to PersonalityPage, their natural partner is the INFP. :D

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Does any of this resonate with you or am I way off base?
You're not way off base - in fact, you're spot on. A lot of that resonates with me, since I know so many NFs. My INFJ mom, in particular, is always complaining to me about how she's "surrounded by crazy people"! :laugh: I have to tell her "It's because you're always so nice to them! You have to be FIRM."

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Ha! Thanks EJCC! And I wanted to chime in with what Jewel Child and the ENTP (lol) said - I also attract randoms and kooky people and I have a great propensity for talking to them. Most of my friends, especially the female friends, have very little tolerance, let alone desire, to speak to kooky or random strangers.

Why INFPs moreso than other NFs attract trouble

ENTP/ENFP are both social and open so I'm sure we talk to a lot of "random" people and have a wide variety of acquaintances - but we also generally are unabashedly selfish.

You know that saying "you do you?" It totally applies to ENXP. We are attracted to things that *excite* us and we don't have much free time for much else. It sounds kinda cold but I think a lot of ENXP will tell you honestly the same. We very clearly and naturally show when we've lost interest in something and generally we don't even try to fake it. We don't know how to fake it. Our priority moreso than making sure other people feel comfortable and accomodating others (even with that annoying ENTP Fe wing that makes them so socially smooth sometimes, bah and lol) is our own contentment and enjoyment.

ENFJs are Fe creatures - very different. It may seem like ENFJs prioritize helping others but Fe is very group and social context oriented. Fe makes them show they caring but also gives them the ability to check people publicly for bad behavior and gives them no qualms for freely expressing how they feel. Fe also makes them much more socially capable of negotiating spaces and basically naturally excellent and creating and maintaining social boundaries. Here is the kicker - their care is also expressed in a way that is socially and context appropriate Their care usually makes sense and goes hand in hand with a sense of perspective because Fe's priority is not to focus on someone else to make them feel good, it's to do what is appropriate and "right" and often comforting people in need fits that criteria. But not always.

INFJs are J's. Enough said. :laugh:

For all the reasons above, crazy/sketchy/dangerous people *know* that they can't really use or latch onto an ENFJ. And they know that a healthy ENFP/ENTP is good for giving them only so much attention before honestly, we lose interest and show it. And INFJs just are too inscrutable and not clearly open to them --> These generalizations are for *most* of the time.

INFPs - not so much any of the above. INFPs who have not gotten to the point of being firm are nice and accessible and overly accomodating to a fault. And really sketchy people can sense with bat-sonar accuracy who they can take advantage of.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Everyone knows all those crazy people are the INJs that got curb-stomped by reality one too many times and snapped. :D

Though I see it as this, from the weirdo's perspective:

INFP
"Wow, that one wont run away -right- away. Maybe I can convince HER that eating human kidneys give you magical powers!"

ENFP
See above but add: "OH no, she has too many friends! Eeeek! Retreat! *Social anxiety kicks in*"

INFJ
"They're scary..."

ENFJ
"She'll eat me alive! STAY AWAY!"

heart

heart on fire
I would say that people are strange when you're the stranger in my case. People will tell me things they don't tell other people.

People will also act out towards me in ways they won't with other people. I am always having to fend off boundary violators and put them into their places.

So I think I see the strange side of many people who other people never know are capable of being that strange.

I tend to place this at the feet of the Fi shadow thing.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
^ nice posts CzeCze :)

I too attract various assorted unique folks, and I still like to be welcoming and helpful to them, but I don't let "them" have "control" like I used to. (Basically I didn't know how to extricate myself from having to listen to them talk about themselves ALL the time and commiserating about themselves non-stop.)

You feel for people, and you want to help, but you need to build assertiveness skills as CzeCze says above. This feels tough but are skills that you will need and use through your whole life so I would recommend taking a course or two or at least reading some books on assertiveness. Here's one:

Amazon.com: Too Nice for Your Own Good : How to Stop Making 9 Self-Sabotaging Mistakes: Duke Robinson: Books

bearette

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
my theory about creepy people being attracted to us is that creepy people are not good at reading social signals (hence why they are considered "creepy"), so they will approach anyone; the reason why it seems we only get attention from creepy guys is because "normal" guys, who can read social signals, often get signals from us to stay away or keep at a distance, perhaps because we are reserved on seems "spacey".

It's just a theory, and no doubt has holes in it...I do think there is also truth to the idea that we tolerate a lot of "weirdness" and also can understand it to a degree.

however, I have had strange people come up to me in public places, and I don't think they have any idea about my personality there.

for what it's worth, i have the same problem....weird strangers hitting on me in coffeeshops, buses, etc (not all the time, just occasionally), while normal, cute guys seem to just want to be friends with me, but not date me....

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think it's because INFP's are weird. Why wouldn't they attract weird people?

Same for all NF's. (NFP's?) I used to wonder why I attracted weirdos until I realized I'm weird. Seems sensible.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Same for all NF's. (NFP's?) I used to wonder why I attracted weirdos until I realized I'm weird. Seems sensible.

I don't think NFs are any weirder than any other type, unless we're talking about SJs. But everyone is weirder than SJs.