User Tag List

123 Last

Default How possible is it to confuse an ESFP with an ENFJ and vice versa?

I have been thinking about two particular individuals in my life and though I consider them to be ESFPs from time to time I am questioning my typing skills and am thinking: "Might they be ENFJs instead?" Perhaps I am completely on the wrong track (so please correct me) but let me explain.

Both guys (let's call them Australian dude and English dude for clarification) have never met each other but are very similar in many respects. Both of them are natural womanizers (though English dude is a devout Christian so he keeps himself in check despite having big womanizer potential), one smile and charming wink of them can turn several generations of women into giggly fangirls.

Both love travelling and exploring and most of the time they look like they just stepped of a surfboard (Australian dude is at the moment riding his bike from London, UK to Melbourne, Australia with his fiancee, as you do ) and both are underneath the charming, smiley exterior very sensitive and emotionally intelligent.

They are both definitely extroverts and feelers and my immediate impression was that they are ESFPs but the following things made me wonder if they might be ENFJs instead (I don't think they are ESFJs, I just don't get a guardian vibe from them at all): Both have told me (and also proven it on different occasions) that they love to plan and organize things in advance which seems very Jish to me (but perhaps I am also just prejudiced towards ESFPs, I was once travelling with an ESFP friend of mine and it felt a bit like travelling with a child since she just couldn't plan very far ahead or see the bigger picture). I mean if you want to ride your bike for one year all over the world you have to think about visa details, border restrictions, injections etc in advance!

Also especially English dude's main characteristic is that he is incredibly encouraging in everything he says, which I would consider more of an Fe than an Fi thing (again correct me if I am wrong). I remember the very first time I met him (in a small group setting) he walked up to me, introduced himself, asked me about myself and then very attentively without any interuptions listened to what I had to say for about 15 minutes. And no he wasn't trying to hit on me, he was in a relationship at the time.

Could an ENFJ's tertiary Se make them appear like an ESFP? Just wondering.

Any thoughts?

MBTI
    INFJ

Look for Te. ENFJs tend to have a larger space between logic and feeling. ESFPs can come across harshly when they are trying to make their points. Also, ESFP's are all over the place in social settings, jumping from person to person. My Se gets worn out trying to keep track of them. ENFJs are smoother in their socializing. They focus on one person, make them feel comfortable and important, collect data, and polietly excuse themselves to socialize with others.

Quote Originally Posted by invaderzim View Post
    ENFJs tend to have a larger space between logic and feeling.
    I don't understand the sentence, what do you mean with "larger space"?

And thanks for the interesting reply.

MBTI
    INTP

You know, sometimes I find myself confusing them. They are so alike.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

My closest friends/family members are either ESFP or ENFJ, and they are very different to me. Your description gives me an SP vibe. The 3 male ENFJs I know love to travel and enjoy watching sports, but they aren't particularly athletic themselves (in fact, they seem quite uncoordinated). The enthusiasm for bike riding and surfing sounds SP.

P doesn't mean a person is incapable of organizing and planning. It usually just means they don't like to do it for things they perceive as unimportant. Believe it or not, I can be better at planning trips than SJs in my family because I am more creative in my thinking.

You're quite sure they or one couldn't be ESTP? They have tertiary Fe after all, and can seem very warm & friendly even if not emotional at the core. Just based on this, I'd guess ESTP, but then you actually know them. What are the signs of intuition?
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    You're quite sure they or one couldn't be ESTP? They have tertiary Fe after all, and can seem very warm & friendly even if not emotional at the core. Just based on this, I'd guess ESTP, but then you actually know them. What are the signs of intuition?
    I definitely think they are feelers, I have known ESTPs and do not get that vibe from them.

Concerning intuition: Good question. English dude studied at Cambridge, is now finishing his Masters and will be starting his PhD soon. However his studies have mainly to do with zoology and the environment which could be considered a sensor subject. At the moment he is spending several weeks in Uganda examining how effectively charities have helped different peoples and indigenous tribes.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    I don't understand the sentence, what do you mean with "larger space"?
    I believe Invader means the distance between cognitive processes
    ENFJs-
    Fe-Ni-Se-Ti
    ESFPs
    Se-Fi-Te-Ni

For myself, the effect of the "distance" looks like shifting gears to myself and to others. Poor transitions. When I am logical, I often seem like a different person, and I hurt ppls feelings bc I dont take emotions into acct. I just get things done. Ppl look shocked, surprised, or hurt. So then I shift back into Fe mode, to repair the damage. It really sucks. Thatís why ENFJs will look more apologetic than ESFPs.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    P doesn't mean a person is incapable of organizing and planning. It usually just means they don't like to do it for things they perceive as unimportant.
    +1

Also, I would have thought how P or J a person was would make a difference with that too. I'm super P, travelling with me would be like travelling with a child lol just ask my isfj friend who takes care of everything for me.

My esfp friend is a P, and yet far more organised on things like xmas, planning ahead to save stuff etc. It's still obviously P, and nowhere near my isfj's organisational skills, but it's less P by far than me.

So lack of organisation doesn't seem to me to be the best way to assess P or J, not forgetting that for instance some INFJ's I know in real life live in chaos with no order either.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    So lack of organisation doesn't seem to me to be the best way to assess P or J.
    Agreed. My INFP co-worker is way better than I at organizing the external world. We helped a friend move and she made me fit everything perfectly into the moving boxes so no room was wasted.

I depend on her for a lot of Te things though, like, "D, WHY is my butt wet?" to which she responds, "um, MAYBE bc you were LEANING ON THE SINK after dishes were washed, right on the wet towels hanging to dry???" And I am still focused on my shock that I didn't notice that my butt was wet.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I've actually done this a bunch of times!!
    I'm actually still stuck on one of those- I think she's an enfj.
    I don't know why I get stuck on those two.