User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESFj

Default What does an unhealthy INFP look like?

I searched to see if this was already a thread and nothing came up. That's surprising to me. I know so many INFPs and a lot of them have problems so it's difficult to know if I'm typing them right in my head. What are some clues?
    E - 79% I - 21%
    S - 53% N - 47%
    T - 32% F - 68%
    J - 32% P - 68%

ESFP

MBTI
    INTP

From what I understand they'd be isolated and completely overwhelmed by emotion to the point of not being able to deal with stress of any kind. Perhaps with standards for relationships that are far too high and unreasonable, preventing them from ever having one and becoming the quintessential cat lady.
    Likes Rune liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Me! :crazy:

=^.^=
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

LOL.

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist.

As stress increases, 'learned behaviour' tends to give way to the natural style, so the INFP will behave more according to type when under greater stress. For example, in a crisis, the INFP might:

* concentrate only on what the INFP sees as important
    * work alone if possible
    * contribute creative ideas, but overlook current realities
    * fail to consider the cost implications
    * be overly idealistic
    * appear out of touch, perhaps not fully recognising current realities, and disregarding those they find unacceptable
    * be stubborn over issues the group did not anticipate being a problem
    * spend too much time thinking
    * avoid conflict and not giving forthright criticism when it is needed
    * focus so much on interpersonal issues that cost and other impersonal considerations are not adequately discussed

Under extreme stress, fatigue or illness, the INFP's shadow may appear - a negative form of ESTJ. Example characteristics are:

* being very critical and find fault with almost everything
    * doing things to excess - e.g.: eating, drinking or exercising
    * becoming bossy or domineering and ignoring others' feelings
    * being pedantic about unimportant details
    This is an actual list of traits I've found. Seems fairly accurate.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

* concentrate only on what the INFP sees as important
    * work alone if possible
    * spend too much time thinking
    * being very critical and find fault with almost everything
    * doing things to excess - e.g.: eating, drinking or exercising - eating
    * becoming bossy or domineering and ignoring others' feelings
    * being pedantic about unimportant details

Yeah, I'm actually not a clean bill of health... LOL

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    From what I understand they'd be isolated and completely overwhelmed by emotion to the point of not being able to deal with stress of any kind. Perhaps with standards for relationships that are far too high and unreasonable, preventing them from ever having one and becoming the quintessential cat lady.
    Yeah, pretty much what I've seen. I don't know about "any kind" of stress, but not being able to deal with stress well at all. Feeling threatened and/or disappearing from situations that might cause them to have to reevaluate their "standards" and "beliefs."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

They'd likely be any of the following: insanely moody, difficult or impossible to reason with, extremely defensive & sensitive, have very poor communication & social skills, self-absorbed, cynical, live in a filthy mess of chaos, be obsessed with minor details they've blown out of proportion, passive-aggressive, have an explosive temper (maybe even violent), a major detachment from reality, seem confused & lost in life, be withdrawn, rebellious, depressed, have an inferiority complex, seem arrogant as a defense, and may isolate themselves from people. There might be substance abuse also.

Besides the crazy cat lady, there's also the self-absorbed, reclusive, miserable artist stereotype for unhealthy INFPs (unlike the ISFP who is romanticized for this, the INFP is outcast). Another stereotype might be the incoherent hippy who lives in a pigsty and gives out philosophical advice to teenagers. Then there's the overly passive INFP who puts up with other people's abuse and seethes internally, but likely they explode and become one of the above stereotypes, or wilt into the crazy cat lady.

However, please keep in mind that what may seem like "problems" in an INFP to an ESFP may not be problems at all. Much of the natural INFP behavior and perspective goes against the mainstream flow of society, but that doesn't make it unhealthy.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe
    Likes xenaprincess, Rune liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Me! :crazy:

=^.^=
    Many INFPs think they're unhealthy.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    They'd likely be any of the following: insanely moody, difficult or impossible to reason with, extremely defensive & sensitive, have very poor communication & social skills, self-absorbed, cynical, live in a filthy mess of chaos, be obsessed with minor details they've blown out of proportion, passive-aggressive, have an explosive temper (maybe even violent), a major detachment from reality, seem confused & lost in life, be withdrawn, rebellious, depressed, have an inferiority complex, seem arrogant as a defense, and may isolate themselves from people. There might be substance abuse also.

Besides the crazy cat lady, there's also the self-absorbed, reclusive, miserable artist stereotype for unhealthy INFPs (unlike the ISFP who is romanticized for this, the INFP is outcast). Another stereotype might be the incoherent hippy who lives in a pigsty and gives out philosophical advice to teenagers. Then there's the overly passive INFP who puts up with other people's abuse and seethes internally, but likely they explode and become one of the above stereotypes, or wilt into the crazy cat lady.

However, please keep in mind that what may seem like "problems" in an INFP to an ESFP may not be problems at all. Much of the natural INFP behavior and perspective goes against the mainstream flow of society, but that doesn't make it unhealthy.
    I second this.
    Overall, unhealthy INFPs are just VERY, VERY oversensitive. I was very withdrawn and lonely as well.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by hommefatal View Post
    Many INFPs think they're unhealthy.
    I don't think, I know based off of what I have seen and medical diagnosis.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]