User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Oh I agree about the passive aggressiveness and silent treatment! LOL. I'm not sure what an "emo bomb" is though...but the two INFPs I dated seriously were both hella emo...in fact, the really emo one hated being called emo! LOL
    Sudden really dark comments that seem out of proportion to the conversation.

Depressed, emo people = INFP
    Juvenile, manic people = EP

Nice! LOL.

I am not saying the INFP's aren't acting juvenile as well, I am just saying I think they usually use more subdued...even underhanded methods, silent treatment, passive agressive things, dark looks, short, snappish statements, odd barbed comments, sarcasm.

We have people on here labeling others INFP when they sound like constant watering pots or anger infernos. And I just don't see how those people can be Fi dom.

But I am curious what other INFP here say.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    We have people on here labeling others INFP when they sound like constant watering pots or anger infernos. And I just don't see how those people can be Fi dom.

But I am curious what other INFP here say.
    I pretty much agree. I can not fathom "exploding", my emotions simply don't function like that. Passive aggression on the other hand...

My most common reaction to stress is simply to retreat mentally and emotionally. AKA, go quiet and stop paying attention, followed by obsessive and repetitive analysis, and a lot of escapism. You'd have to really push to get any passive aggression out.

If I had to guess, INFPs would get the mantle of "least likely to explode", or draw even with INTPs.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Getting angry at all drains me so much I start shaking all over. It takes tremendous energy to extrovert out that much emotion.

Respectfully, I just have a very hard time accepting there are INFP who can consistantly expend a lot of energy on showing outward upset like raging and crying etc. I really suspect these types of being EP who have social anxiety issues and have been mistyped IFP.
    Agreed.

But I would think most INFP tend to err on passive aggressiveness, silent treatment and those "emo bombs" that Protean was talking about than rage, cry and scream...I am not saying they never cry and scream but it'd be really, really rare and even more rare. When I "go through" things, I am very low energy and close into myself. People around me are more like to get fed up with that.

I still think INFP is a card that is given out way too much, much like INFJ is.
    +1000

MBTI
    INFP

Extreme stress has caused me to be snappy and cranky with people I know well, but still doesn't cause loud outbursts.

There are only two situations in which I can ever remember emotionally exploding in a loud, demonstrative way. One was having a heated argument with people I know extremely well, and feeling like they were violating my rights some way in the conversation -- such as telling me "what I think." Raising my voice and freaking out only happened after repeatedly trying to explain that I know what I think for myself, and not being heard, until I felt like an animal in a cage, couldn't think straight, and just freaked out.

The second situation was witnessing a serious act of physical abuse toward an animal. I often just tremble with anger, as Heart mentioned, but in this case, I lost all sense of dignity, and screamed, slapped, threatened, intimidated, etc. It just sort of happened before I had time to think about it. :/

Almost always, though, under normal circumstances, I withdraw. I just shut down, stop talking, and go away. I'm not prone to loud outbursts. Even if I'm sulking, I want to sulk alone where no one can see that I'm sulking.
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP

It's important to reach out to people socially sometimes, especially those who can back you up when things go down.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelchild View Post
    The second situation was witnessing a serious act of physical abuse toward an animal. I often just tremble with anger, as Heart mentioned, but in this case, I lost all sense of dignity, and screamed, slapped, threatened, intimidated, etc. It just sort of happened before I had time to think about it. :/

Almost always, though, under normal circumstances, I withdraw. I just shut down, stop talking, and go away. I'm not prone to loud outbursts. Even if I'm sulking, I want to sulk alone where no one can see that I'm sulking.
    I think these are normal, healthy responses, though our Ti never really comes out in ways we expect, which can scare us and those around when it happens. Idealism is part of the INFP profile, and we will never let an injustice go by without expressing our disapproval. It's like a compulsion, that you know what has to be said or done, and it can't be held back sometimes.

On the 2nd part: withdrawal is also necessary, as it takes times to absorb and think it all over. It's again the lack of Ti that keeps us from thinking on our feet. It takes time to consider everything and decide what to do. Withdrawal is an excellent policy.

MBTI
    GONE

Sudden really dark comments that seem out of proportion to the conversation.
    I think INTPs and INFPs can be similar in this way... I remember I was hanging out at a friends house and we were listening to depressing emo music. One of the roommates asked what we should do and an INTP female said, "Well, we could all go hang ourselves". I guess it wasn't totally out of context but it was upping the ante and it seemed like a faux pas to me. But that might have just been "social unsmoothness".

I am not saying the INFP's aren't acting juvenile as well, I am just saying I think they usually use more subdued...even underhanded methods, silent treatment, passive agressive things, dark looks, short, snappish statements, odd barbed comments, sarcasm.
    OMG, you are reminding me of the last INFPs I dated...please stop...LOL.

Seriously though I started typing a long response - but really, I wonder if you've seen some seriously anger-management needing introverts? Because some of the most destructive tempers I've seen belong to extreme introverts.

It's hard to describe "outburst" and "tantrum" properly through just text - I think if you had seen the ones the INFPs I've dated would throw you'd probably go, "Ah yep, that's an INFP". I mean, they were definitely tantrums, and outbursts, they were definitely acting out - but I'm not saying they were on par energy or volume wise with say - an ENFJ or and ENFP. But the end effects were still disruptive and destructive. And definitely part of the reason they had these outbursts was because they were sooooo bad at expressing those things and would let the anger build up and then let it loose - it seemed classic INXP (and childish) to me.

Also, keep in mind that one INFP I mention was young and immature at the time and the other one is just a hot, hot mess (i.e. "going through things") These tantrums are no doubt very taxing and draining to them and gets them all worked up inside even afterwards - they still have 'em though.

As for Fi doms having tantrums and outbursts - unhealthy/immature ENFPs can have them quite a bit. We can get pretty loud and dramatic. Even healthy ENFPs when that Fi is violated go all up in arms. So I don't think it's necessarily Fi that is adverse to outbursts? Or maybe I misunderstood what you were saying.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

$emobomb != $INFP
    $emobomb <> $INFP
    $emobomb !== $INFP

Get it?

(If you don't: emobomb does not equal INFP.) We don't do tantrums, outbursts, explosions or bring rain clouds to parties.

Unhealthy ones are likely to shun any human contact I would imagine and keep themselves as isolated as possible.

Personally, I would preferably run away and hide somewhere rather than confront or reveal my feelings to you. This cannot be emphasized enough here. I have had to learn to be assertive but doing so is a huge energy expenditure.

The only people who know how I feel about anything in general are those closest, and even then I need to be hugely provoked to make any kind of negative display of emotion as these ones described as attributable to INFP in this thread.

As heart said, anyone being demonstrative emotionally seems to be tagged with INFP, and it is just not so. As I have reflected on (many times it seems now) this forum, I don't where all you folks meet the INFP's because I sure don't know many at all.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I agree.

At my worst, I get even more withdrawn and passive-aggressive. No outbursts.

Glycerine

I know of 2 INFP that do the emo outbursts when they are stressed out. Some become very emo, others become very withdrawn. I am starting to think that this is outside of type and more of an individual thing. I am pretty sure that they are INFPs because they have really strong personal values/opinions about things and the off the wall Ne fueled sense of humor.