half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    This sounds right. I think the unhealthy ones kind of have a blind spot to the bitter vibe they're putting out, and they assume that the world itself is the problem. "I'm a really great guy, but apparently girls don't want a nice guy" kinda thing.

There are some really great INFPs around, of course, but that wasn't the idea of the OP, so I'll just leave it at that.
    As soon as I hear that comment from a man, I bail. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. It makes the man look like he blames women for all his problems, and is just waiting for me to disappoint him like he expects all of us to do eventually. There is no ownership or responsibility, and that is not attractive to me.

MBTI
    GONE

What does an unhealthy INFP look like?
    Like one of my exes!

:yim_rolling_on_the_

If only I were kidding :sigh:

The unhealthy INFPs I've known were like petulant, needy, and manipulative children. They were ridiculously hypersensitive. They play games and try to get reactions out of you to prove that you "care". They throw outright tantrums, are reactive, passive aggressive, and erratic to an extreme. Beyond being incredibly selfish and self-absorbed - the very unhealthy INFPs that I've known were like black holes of happiness and lost in their own pain/fears/desires. It's bad mojo! Oh and it's an understatement, unhealthy INFPs are really bad communicators. Or non-communicators. Unhealthy INFPs want you to read their minds and anticipate their next move or else you don't care.

And there is a difference between unhealthy and immature (still growing into all the functions etc.) INFPs. Immature INFPs are on the path to growth, unhealthy ones, not so much.

Unhealthy INFPs act in ways that healthier INFPs abhor. I have seen from personal experience how unhealthy INFPs rub healthy INFPs the wrong way.

The best thing to give a deeply unhealthy INFP is tough love and/or walk away.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    So I was walking around our ritzy mall today [cherry creek, I refer to it as "our little slice of LA"], was people watching, and an answer to this thread came to me:

"The only thing that matters is me and my emotions!"

I think that would be a good catchphrase for one type of unhealthy INFP
    OMG, that sooooooo hits it on the head!!!

I want to erase my answer now and just quote you...but I won't...because then you can see how unhealthy INFPs can make a mostly (?) stable ENFP bitter...I meaaaaan...nothing.

Also, this quote is accurate about unhealthy INFPs as well:

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    There is no ownership or responsibility, and that is not attractive to me.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Neurotically stuck in the Fi-Si loop. They put up walls between themselves and the outside world. Totally withdrawn, won't make social overtures, distrust people who make social overtures to them, thinking either the other person is just "being nice" or that they have an ulterior motive to control or use the INFP (because in their logic why else would someone want to bother with someone as inferior as they?).
    Is there any point in pursuing these kinds of INFPs?
    5 3 9

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    "The only thing that matters is me and my emotions!"
    Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    There is no ownership or responsibility, and that is not attractive to me.
    Wow, that pretty much sums it up right there, I think. You can feel unhealthy INFPs squirm and try to wiggle out of any attempt to point out how their actions are directly resulting in their problems and emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    the very unhealthy INFPs that I've known were like black holes of happiness and lost in their own pain/fears/desires.
    This makes sense. One of our greatest strengths is to be able to face emotions head on, sponge them up, and remain relatively unaffected. With a truly unhappy INFP, the same concept remains, but they soak up your positive energy with their negative energy, yet remain unaffected.

If I were to try and help an unhealthy INFP, I would NOT try to face them head on. I mean, can you out Fi an INFP? Why would you want to try? Instead, you have to alter their mindset so they want to fix it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    Nope, not if you recognize them as such. Things might start off okay as the positive emotion masks the issues, but eventually it will catch up.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    It's probably a moot point, they won't let you in. Now mind you, I am talking about the first sort of unhealthy INFP, the one who thinks they are unworthy. They are just so scared, likely won't allow you in or doorslam when things get more serious.

The second kind of unhealthy INFP with corrupt judgement, the ego based one would let you in and then start playing games with you to make you prove yourself.

Then there's a sort of unhealthy INFP that probably will look pretty healthy and happy from the outside, but is emotionally unavailable--- the one who wants fantasy love over the real thing. That one will likely doorslam when things get serious too, but probably will be acting in a more subconscious, unware manner than the first two. This last type would rationalize EVERYTHING to themselves so they can keep up the fanatsy...so when you start wanting to be a real person, they run or push you away.

Glycerine

Whoa, I have met some REALLY unhealthy INFPs based on what I have read on this thread. YIKES. They are ones that just take the life of you and you kind of sink with them if you aren't careful. They want to take you down to their level, emotionally and become poisonous vacuums of emotions. EDIT: This is just my experience and not a judgment against INFPs, in general. Like I said before, I usually admire INFPs.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    This sounds right. I think the unhealthy ones kind of have a blind spot to the bitter vibe they're putting out, and they assume that the world itself is the problem. "I'm a really great guy, but apparently girls don't want a nice guy" kinda thing.
    I went out with this INFP guy like that once, and yeah, BIG turn-off. He was more immature than unhealthy, and that's something you see the immature and/or unhealthy INFP males whining a lot about at INFPgc. You don't see it as much with the female INFPs.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    Whoa, I have met some REALLY unhealthy INFPs based on what I have read on this thread. YIKES. They are ones that just take the life of you and you kind of sink with them if you aren't careful. They want to take you down to their level, emotionally and become poisonous vacuums of emotions.
    What? that's not true! I could care less if you came down to my level, why do people say such bullshit things?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    What? that's not true! I could care less if you came down to my level why do people say such bullshit things?
    I was referring to really unhealthy ones. This is the "unhealthy INFP" thread, is it not??? MOST INFPs I know don't act like that. When they are UNHEALTHY, they can act like that. However, it may be just my bias but that is how I have felt around rather unhealthy INFPs. Besides, I was not addressing you, on a personal level. I was more or less referring to the ones I knew...