User Tag List

First 61415161718 Last

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    If this has already been addressed I apologize, but what causes an INFP to lash out towards others?
    For me, if someone is being unnecessarily aggressive or abrasive without provocation.

Junior Member JediZenMasterFlash's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    If this has already been addressed I apologize, but what causes an INFP to lash out towards others?
    I'll lash out if I feel suppressed or domineered, or if I'm in an environment that isn't calm and I guess a good word is friendly. I had a stepfather who liked to try and control every aspect of my life and liked to bark out orders and be overly negative ALL OF THE TIME.

He was always in a bad mood, always was standoffish and short with you. The way he would solve problems was by threatening violence. Which he never put his hands on me but my brother got some of it, don't worry, he gave some back lol, we were older teens at this stage, usually the time this sort of thing goes down with fathers and sons in some cases.

Obviously a horrible person for me to be around. I'm older, so I have been out of that house for awhile now, but to this day we don't get along, at all, not even civil.

When I lived there I became very withdrawn, unsociable, bitter, moody, snappy, and I had to have been very hard to live with. It was because of him and his overbearing attitude. I am not by far the only person who doesn't like him, none of my brothers do either, trust me, this guy is a complete (insert derogatory phrase here)

so yeah, theres my answer lol. I need to at least live in a place where I feel welcomed, so conflict and disharmony does it for me, but thats anybody really right?

ReflecTcelfeR

I think you have answered my question.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    You guys make great points. When I see someone that is chronically negative, I try to exude positive energy or try to give them encouragement. Ex. I had a rather jaded INFP teacher. I would always flash a smile at him when I entered the classroom and smile at everything he said just to bring a positive energy into the room. However, I felt rather depressed/ uncomfortable whenever I left the class. (All of this coming from an ENFJ pov).

I could see how that could have come off as very patronizing to an INFP... oops. It might feel like I am not validating how they are really feeling and trying to force them to be happy which leads to resentment? However, the constant negativity feels like the person is trying to pull me into their web of negativity (this is what I meant by "bringing me down to their level, emotionally"). I guess it is the whole "misery loves company" concept.
    It feels FAKE!! Very, very FAKE!!

It feels like both, you're not validating our need to experience displeasure, and that you're not being genuine with the intent. I have to be in a very balanced mood to handle strong extraverted feelers. My ability to analyze and see potential situations in which the use of this function would be horrible just pops right out if I'm in a not so balanced mood. It makes me feel very uneasy. I usually just try to leave, ASAP, if I find someone who is putting on a "fake" smile, and seems to be very superficial in their compliments, however true the intention of just making me happy may be. I just won't see it, period.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

I know of one. Last I saw him he reminded me of the Neanderthal on the GEICO commercials.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I'm pretty sure they look like someone who would dig up a 2 year old thread and then comment.
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by unityemissions View Post
    It feels FAKE!! Very, very FAKE!!

It feels like both, you're not validating our need to experience displeasure, and that you're not being genuine with the intent. I have to be in a very balanced mood to handle strong extraverted feelers. My ability to analyze and see potential situations in which the use of this function would be horrible just pops right out if I'm in a not so balanced mood. It makes me feel very uneasy. I usually just try to leave, ASAP, if I find someone who is putting on a "fake" smile, and seems to be very superficial in their compliments, however true the intention of just making me happy may be. I just won't see it, period.
    Haha I think that quote was written over 2-3 years ago. Would you be happier to know that I have become more jaded, critical, and usually just pretend I don't notice how others are feeling now unless something's really up? I think I was surrounded by a crap ton of INFP negativity by several INFPs plus I had some anxiety back then.

However, I still believe that someone who thrives on negativity is unhealthy.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Every time I see this thread title:

What does an unhealthy INFP look like?
    I think they look:

Pale
    Tired
    Run-down
    Maybe overweight or underweight

??

"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    yupp

Impulsive
    Unkempt
    Not in full control of emotions
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Quote Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
    Do any of you find there are close friends (even best friends) who'll bemusedly tell you they've realised they've never seen you get angry, not once?
    lol Yep. There have been times I've gotten angry, though, although it takes a heck of a lot, and usually there are few witnesses. The difference is the close/best friends are the ones who get told about the incidents after they've happened.