• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Beethoven....an INFJ?

Pseudonym_Alpha

MBTI Type
INFJ
I was recently reading that some people seem to think that Ludwig Van Beethoven was an INFJ. Which I find rather interesting.

Beethoven's Personality and Music: Introverted Romantic

As I am a pianist and enjoy playing the piano perfusely(I think I spelt that correctly..), I wanted to research it.

Any other facts anyone else can think of in relation to this topic, would be greatly appreciated :)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would love to think Beethoven is an INFJ, but for all my experience with studying his life and music, i have to say that he isn't. He is one of my favorite composers and i have analyzed more scores of his than i can count (i have a doctorate in music) He does seem Ni dominant, but the man had close to zero Fe. He offended people a lot, and not because he was angry, but just had no patience for human nonsense. The emotional world is also very deeply Fi imo. I have to stand by my original position that he is an INTJ. People often underestimate just how passionate an INTJ can be.

There is plenty more detail that can be gone into here, but i may just link to a thread at INTPcentral that went through much of this.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I was recently reading that some people seem to think that Ludwig Van Beethoven was an INFJ. Which I find rather interesting.

Beethoven's Personality and Music: Introverted Romantic

As I am a pianist and enjoy playing the piano perfusely(I think I spelt that correctly..), I wanted to research it.

Any other facts anyone else can think of in relation to this topic, would be greatly appreciated :)
Beethoven did not take his hat off for the prince.
Goethe did.

I suggest you settle with Goethe.

Pseudonym_Alpha

MBTI Type
INFJ
As i previously stated, and facts that anyone can come up with would be great appreciated hehe :)

Thanks for pointing out obviously some errors :p........or 1 big one

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I always thought he was an IxTP, because of Lenore's description of Ti. What made you think Ni? I haven't listened much to his music.

Pseudonym_Alpha

MBTI Type
INFJ
I play his music on piano, so skillful to do so, even today. Its the challenge it brings to me that I enjoy the most about his works though. Very interesting personality that he has.

Also I was thinking that you dont have to be an IxTP to be detached from society in that way. If im wrong about that, feel free to pull me up on it, as its a good learning curve for me also.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I play his music on piano, so skillful to do so, even today. Its the challenge it brings to me that I enjoy the most about his works though. Very interesting personality that he has.

Also I was thinking that you dont have to be an IxTP to be detached from society in that way. If im wrong about that, feel free to pull me up on it, as its a good learning curve for me also.

Fe does make one more inclined to participate in society. He might have been an Ni dominant INTJ (although I still lean towards IxTP), but I don't see INFJ. Sorry if that's discouraging to you.

ladypinkington

Rubber Nipple Salesperson
MBTI Type
INFJ
I am not very familiar with Beethoven as a person other then I enjoy his music, but I can say we INFJ's would be happy to claim him,lol.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm thinking ENTJ. According to historic records, he was very aggressive and outspoken.

As an Introvert, an INTJ would more likely steer away from conflict.

Remember, just because you're an extrovert doesn't mean you like people.

A desire for social interaction is mostly an F trait.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
As an Introvert, an INTJ would more likely steer away from conflict.

Really? I've always seen INTJ's as liking conflict, and trying to stir it up. Why do you think that they don't? Have you decided that you're an ENTP, then?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Really? I've always seen INTJ's as liking conflict, and trying to stir it up. Why do you think that they don't? Have you decided that you're an ENTP, then?

The INTJ stirs things up in the safety and security of his mind. The ENTJ does so in the outer world and is more willing to face conflict head-on.

The INTJ dwells on the idea of conflict, perhaps expressing it indirectly. The ENTJ is quicker to direct that conflict energy in the outer world.

Camelopardalis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I second the motion! :hug:

I would like to claim Ludwig for the INTJ's :D He's definitely introvert as he spends large amounts of time on his own (and who knows what he was doing), probably thinking to himself and composing. From what I know of him (and I've done a research paper on him), he's a very private person. Shying away from conflicts is not an exclusive introvert trait. I have a strong introversion percentage, but yet I never back off from conflicts. It's unimaginable for me to compromise or jeopardize my interests that way. He's an intuitive because he doesn't 'play by the rules' nor respect much social norms (I'd say he is a very expressed intuitive). He's not much of a feeler because he did not seem to care much what other people feels as a consequence of his actions and his blatant disregard for the empress' 'superiority' alienated him from Goethe. All I can say for him is that he had a very strong Fi. He's a judger because his convictions are not easily changed and quite frankly, he's not very open.

My mother said that I would get along famously with him. I probably would, but with the almost random temper outbursts and fights :shock:

Camelopardalis

MBTI Type
INTJ

Nah. We don't like conflict (who actually does?), but I trust myself to never back down from confrontations unless it's rational to do so.

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w
Beethoven did not take his hat off for the prince.
Goethe did.

I suggest you settle with Goethe.

Someone's level of conformity has little to do with personality types in my opinion.
I don't know why it is said that INFJ's always try to conform or avoid conflict. Speaking from my own experience, that's entirely false.

But I honestly know too little of Beethoven to even take a guess.

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w
sorry, please never mind (double post)

ferrisbueller

MBTI Type
ENFP
On the topic of of famous INFJ artists, in my English class we've been reading American transcendentalist authors lately and multiple times I've been reading and thought that the author must be an INFJ. I had this reaction to Ralph Waldo Emerson and to Thoreau in particular. We've also been reading poetry and I had the same reaction to Emily Dickinson.