• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Te] Tertiary Te

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm afraid of using it. Really am. I..got encouraged to do so last week and was reminded of why it was I only use it when not around people and even then. It makes me feel like an elephant in a china cabinet around people. And the worst part is, that if I completely embrace it, I don't realize I was said elephant untill later on :doh:

Is this just because I have no practice? Do you gain more refined control over it if you just bite the bullet? Or is this because it's a tertiary function and I'll just have to live with it? I absolutely love Te in NTJs, and admire the way they wield it. I must look like such an amateur to them :blush:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I relate to the elephant in a china cabinet :D
Being my inferior function, it's probably worse than yours. I resort to Te when people can't grasp Ne communication, and then I get accused of being abrasive & cold. I just thought I was being efficient and clear :D.

lamp

I try and use it when I want; sometimes I get called out on it. At that time, I respond "I am a feeler, not a thinker" :]

I am exhausted, I will return later

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Tell me what happened last week. :)

Euhm, I went ENTJ on my INTJ and actually hurt his feelings in the process :blush:

It was stupid, he'd been pushing me to do something, so I finally get to it and work at it all day (Te), but he get's in my way wanting to debate stuff as to how to do it. It...slowed me down and didn't get anywhere, so I told him that if he wanted me to take care of this (as I didn't exactly enjoy doing it in the first place and I finally wanted it sorted so we'd be done with it and the stupid project has been bugging me for years!), he'd either let me get to it and get out of my way, or do it himself. Apparently, I was less than diplomatic about this :blush:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Euhm, I went ENTJ on my INTJ and actually hurt his feelings in the process :blush:

It was stupid, he'd been pushing me to do something, so I finally get to it and work at it all day (Te), but he get's in my way wanting to debate stuff as to how to do it. It...slowed me down and didn't get anywhere, so I told him that if he wanted me to take care of this (as I didn't exactly enjoy doing it in the first place and I finally wanted it sorted so we'd be done with it and the stupid project has been bugging me for years!), he'd either let me get to it and get out of my way, or do it himself. Apparently, I was less than diplomatic about this :blush:

Maybe I am wrong but doing this to your SO is actually more Fe then Te.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Euhm it might appear F coz of my writing style,but I'm pretty sure that Fe is focussed on people and Te on matters. He was merely getting in my way and I didn't want to have to waste time on debating this stuff with him when it was going to cost me precious time to get the job done. How is that not Te? :shock:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Euhm it might appear F coz of my writing style,but I'm pretty sure that Fe is focussed on people and Te on matters. He was merely getting in my way and I didn't want to have to waste time on debating this stuff with him when it was going to cost me precious time to get the job done. How is that not Te? :shock:

To be honest alot of it depends on how did you said what you said.

But from what I see the only place where you have used Te in this "incident" is when you have concluded that listening to him could take too much time.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
To be honest alot of it depends on how did you said what you said.

But from what I see the only place where you have used Te in this "incident" is when you have concluded that listening to him could take too much time.

So becoming impatient and snappish when someone gets in your way thus causing your plans delay, is not a result of Te?

I always thought it was. My snappishness hits peak when I am hammering a task to it's completion. I just want to get the person to shut up and let me get on with my task which is obviously causing me stress since I've hit a deadline of "I must do this now, no matter what it takes".

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So becoming impatient and snappish when someone gets in your way thus causing your plans delay, is not a result of Te?

I always thought it was. My snappishness hits peak when I am hammering a task to it's completion. I just want to get the person to shut up and let me get on with my task which is obviously causing me stress since I've hit a deadline of "I must do this now, no matter what it takes".

Funny, I experience exactly the same but relate Fe to it myself. Someone getting in my way when I am working a deadline with things I really can't be arsed with at the time, persistently! Even though I'm telling them off at first. I get snappy and Fe. Usually for a second or two then I retreat. Or using a really snarky comment without regard for the other person.

It's definatly not Te for me!

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Funny, I experience exactly the same but relate Fe to it myself. Someone getting in my way when I am working a deadline with things I really can't be arsed with at the time, persistently! Even though I'm telling them off at first. I get snappy and Fe. Usually for a second or two then I retreat. Or using a really snarky comment without regard for the other person.

It's definatly not Te for me!

The dark side of the INTP. :horor:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

Nope. This is Fi and if you do alot of shouting and screaming in the process it is Fe as well. This is why people call it emotional outburst on the first place.

This is the main reason why I am so socially awkward actually. Since I require a debate in this situations and I don't give any real signs of excitment.
This is naked Te, everything else are more of less feelings.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah well then someone better inform ENTJS that they're using Fe and not Te, no offense.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Yeah well then someone better inform ENTJS that they're using Fe and not Te, no offense.

I am afraid you are oversimplifing things. When ENTJ says "do this, this, this and this" that is Te. Which is in most cases.

But if they get annoyed they they are mixing Fi with it and if it happens that they explode then it is Fe. I think the problem is that you see Te intensity in ENTJ as a emotional expression. In my opinion the difference between Te and Fe can be very thin.

But towards some understanding of functions this is not any function since neuroticism and emotional outbursts of any kind can't be part of any function.

I am sorry but I don't know what exactly did you do to your SO. In the case there was a scene the entire thing was more like Fe/Fi then Te.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
"Hey, I'm working here, buddy, gimmie some room, will ya?"

Like that? Focus on process and completion? Sounds like a Te kind of thing to say.

(Plus Fi undertones because you decided to be involved with the process anyway so you're invested. Or maybe Fi overtones because your Fi's bigger than your Te.)

And it's not "going ENTJ". Unless ENTJs are typically peevish and reactionary about their projects and easily exhausted.

(I just got back from riding my bike and I'm still sweaty. Until I shower, I'm ISTP!!!)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am afraid you are oversimplifing things. When ENTJ says "do this, this, this and this" that is Te. Which is in most cases.

But if they get annoyed they they are mixing Fi with it and if it happens that they explode then it is Fe. I think the problem is that you see Te intensity in ENTJ as a emotional expression. In my opinion the difference between Te and Fe can be very thin.

But towards some understanding of functions this is not any function since neuroticism and emotional outbursts of any kind can't be part of any function.

I am sorry but I don't know what exactly did you do to your SO. In the case there was a scene the entire thing was more like Fe/Fi then Te.

Yeah well, while working on the project the entire day, I doubt it was Fi or Fe. I told him repeatedly in a cold way to get out of my way, and he didn't take the hint, so I lost my patience with him which..suddenly was none-existant anymore.

"Hey, I'm working here, buddy, gimmie some room, will ya?"

Like that? Focus on process and completion? Sounds like a Te kind of thing to say.

(Plus Fi undertones because you decided to be involved with the process anyway so you're invested. Or maybe Fi overtones because your Fi's bigger than your Te.)

And it's not "going ENTJ". Unless ENTJs are typically peevish and reactionary about their projects and easily exhausted.

(I just got back from riding my bike and I'm still sweaty. Until I shower, I'm ISTP!!!)

I didn't mean go ENTJ literally on him. I'm not claiming to be one, I just felt I resembled one at the time and I hated the feeling as I can't seem to dose it properly. Makes me careful about doing it again.

Still waiting for ENTJs to jump in here...

Snow Turtle

Tertiary functions are awesome. Well at least Ti is in my life. It's hard to imagine what my life would be like if I didn't run things through it, then again it also screws me over in some other ways.

Use the force! It's well worth it. :D

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Yeah well, while working on the project the entire day, I doubt it was Fi or Fe. I told him repeatedly in a cold way to get out of my way, and he didn't take the hint, so I lost my patience with him which..suddenly was none-existant anymore.

No ofence but working on that project does not have much to do with this.
But you are right that is Te + (something else)

What I am saying is that at the moment you lost you patience Te wasn't dominant function in the air anymore.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fi, no doubt and even a bit of Ne, as the goal I was working towards was based on crazy ideas I wanted to transform into reality based on what I felt was just right and I didn't wanna compromise on that.

Still, how do you get the best from both worlds, the tolerance of Fi towards others and the efficiency of Te instead of the perfectionism/high standards for harmony of Fi and the disregard for others from Te? :D

Also, AO, I'm betting that tertiary Te looks very different than parenting Te or Te-dom, so it would stand to reason that you don't fully identify with what I'm saying. I know tertiary Fi looks very different to me too. Btw, the project involved organizing something with cathegorizing and stuff.

hommefatal

You can also be an ENFP and don't use Te at all. I don't think everyone has the exactly the 'proper' function order.