• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFPs and Catlovin

INFPs, how do you feel about cats?

• Total voters

Unique

One of my INFP friends says she doesn't really like them... that they kill wildlife or something

I think thats something her parents convinced her of even if she says she simply agrees with their view

Objectively they don't cause as much harm as a lot of other species

Oh and I love them and have my own :)

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
I'll admit, it's been an ongoing source of irritation to me since I joined these forums that INFPs seem, almost to a man (woman etc), to both think cats are awesome and to strongly identify with them. Those INFPs among you with cat-related names, avatars etc (and there are so very many) this isn't (much of) an attack on you. I partly want to identify through the poll whether this fixation is as prevalent as it seems, and possibly through the thread find out why INFPs lavish such undeserved love and adoration on the Felis Cattus.

My theory: INFPs are attracted to cats in much the same way women are attracted to assholes. Also, there is the INFP fascination with the sullied, the profane, the cruel, the evil.

I like felines but cats are far from my favorites. They're nice to pet in my opinion but that's as far as the "Attraction" goes.
I AM fascinated by what you might call "sullied, profane, evil" though.:D

whimsical

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
i love cats & i have been living with cats my whole life basically

Requeim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
oh my god i lol'd hard at the last option, was totally unexpected :D

Alchemiss

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w6
I *love* cats myself and we have two of them. My theory is it's because they are introverts and know when they need to go off by themselves and recharge whereas extroverted dogs are right there in your face constantly. While I like dogs, I wouldn't want to live with one! :)

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Great post Tilty. Loved the anecdotes. Contrary to popular belief, this is not intended to be a cats vs dogs thread. And you're right - I am ignorant of the kind of trainability, implicit accountability and demonstrative affectionateness (is that a word?) you seem to have experienced with your cats, never having seen nor heard of it before. Most cat-lovers I've encountered happily acknowledge their cats' lack of accountability and indeed consider it a laudable trait, and the foundation upon which they can project all manner of unjustifiable (and usually positive) anthropomorphisms. But if you can stop your cats from engaging in the kind of sadism I've seen them exhibit then my main objection to them as pets largely disappears. I guess a bell on the collar would help stop the behaviour, if not the nature.

As for the crack about a dog eating its own poop, have you ever actually seen that happen?

Yes, and it's addressed by famous dog trainers, e.g.
My Dog Eats Poop, Coprophagia, Ask Victoria Stilwell : Animal Planet

Glad you liked my post and sorry if it was a little strident and anti-dog. I like dogs, too, I just don't see that they're any better than cats or any other animals, which all have their individual quirks.

I don't let my cat out, so the most she gets to toy with prey is the occasional bug in the house.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One of my INFP friends says she doesn't really like them... that they kill wildlife or something

I think thats something her parents convinced her of even if she says she simply agrees with their view

Objectively they don't cause as much harm as a lot of other species

Oh and I love them and have my own :)

I always knew you were a closet INFP. :rolleyes: :D

Unique

I always knew you were a closet INFP. :rolleyes: :D

Haha that would be awesome! :D

Seriously though I like cats for maybe a different reason, they seem to be in tune with their bodies, very aware of their surroundings and just make good company :cheese:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You don't think humans have instincts? I agree it's cruel to punish an animal for being what it's instinctively wired to be if it can't be trained. If it can be trained, I think the owner has a responsibility to just as they have a responsibility to train their kids. If it acts in a manner you would consider sadistic and can't be trained out of it (and that's known from the start), then I'd rather not have such an animal. Maybe that's the attraction of INFPs to cats, at that? They can't be trained, therefore no responsibility.

Many scientists agree that humans do not have instincts in the manner that we think of animals having them, only drives. Cats can be trained, within reasonable limits, actually. No responsibility in cat ownership? Surely you jest. Cats must be cared for like any other pet, especially if you actually care about your pet.:shock:

If a mouse problem is your reason for owning a cat, there are plenty of other solutions out there which offer far more humane ways of dealing with mice. Traps, poison, ferrets etc. They also spare the resident bird population.

I love cats. I keep them because they're lovable and provide excellent quiet, reciprocal companionship, which is at the same time reasonably unintrusive. My cats never sit on my face while I'm sleeping, and they don't claw me, even if I'm doing something they don't like.

Cats are slightly more intelligent than dogs. Therefore, they'll treat you how you treat them. People with bad cats are usually bad cat owners, barring the incidence of the cat just being feral or sick or mentally impaired.

Cats do tend to only trust a certain person or certain people, and aren't as friendly with strangers. Then again, there are also dogs who are pretty nasty to strangers. Instead of merely running from them like a cat would, the doggie can bite and do serious physical damage.

I don't think that poison or traps are more humane ways to kill mice. Particularly traps, where the mouse can slowly starve to death. Ugh.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I *love* cats myself and we have two of them. My theory is it's because they are introverts and know when they need to go off by themselves and recharge whereas extroverted dogs are right there in your face constantly. While I like dogs, I wouldn't want to live with one! :)

Well, I am sorry, but your theory doesn't hold water.

If your idea of dogs is one of those:
smalldog.jpg

Sure.

However, if we are talking real dogs:
alaskan-malamute-0010.jpg

Most cats are a lot more in your face.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
No responsibility in cat ownership? Surely you jest. Cats must be cared for like any other pet, especially if you actually care about your pet.:shock:

Read that in context. I referred of course to responsibility to train, rather than responsibility period.

Cats are slightly more intelligent than dogs.

Again, this isn't a thread about cats vs dogs, but I still wonder where you got that from. I've read otherwise.

Therefore, they'll treat you how you treat them. People with bad cats are usually bad cat owners, barring the incidence of the cat just being feral or sick or mentally impaired.

How are you defining "bad cats"?

I don't think that poison or traps are more humane ways to kill mice. Particularly traps, where the mouse can slowly starve to death. Ugh.

Poison is far quicker than death-by-slow-torment, and all the traps I've ever used are instantaneous.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:doh:

I think a cat left a half-dead mouse on his porch and peed on his clean laundry yesterday.

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I hate cats... they are the only creatures I know that can be pet for an hour and then will have the nerve to turn around and bite you on the hand...

Again, this isn't a thread about cats vs dogs, but I still wonder where you got that from. I've read otherwise.

That article made me laugh, there is no doubt somebody from england wrote that. The best line "There is just one consolation. Humans don't understand string theory either."

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Maybe INFP's just manage to get awesome cats.. my INFP friend has the sweetest cat ever. :D
She likes to be petted and doesn't get snippy.
I've seen cats which were more temperamental though..
I have a lot of friends who own cats.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
What is that supposed to mean? That you don't have similar experiences, or that my point is supposedly invalid?

I'm a lot better with words than vague internet speak.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
D

Dali

What is that supposed to mean? That you don't have similar experiences, or that my point is supposedly invalid?

I'm a lot better with words than vague internet speak.

That there is no way the average cat is more in your face than the average dog.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
That there is no way the average cat is more in your face than the average dog.

Yes, I agree with that.
I just disagreed with the notion that all cats are "introverts", while dogs are in-your-face "extroverts". In my statement, I meant that specific breed of which I posted a picture and perhaps other breeds with similar temperament. I could have worded or explained it better.