User Tag List

View Poll Results: INFPs, how do you feel about cats?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love them

22 44.00%
  • I like them or don't mind them

11 22.00%
  • I don't care about them

3 6.00%
  • I dislike them

1 2.00%
  • I hate them

1 2.00%
  • I'm not an INFP

12 24.00%
First 34567 Last

One of my INFP friends says she doesn't really like them... that they kill wildlife or something

I think thats something her parents convinced her of even if she says she simply agrees with their view

Objectively they don't cause as much harm as a lot of other species

Oh and I love them and have my own

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    I'll admit, it's been an ongoing source of irritation to me since I joined these forums that INFPs seem, almost to a man (woman etc), to both think cats are awesome and to strongly identify with them. Those INFPs among you with cat-related names, avatars etc (and there are so very many) this isn't (much of) an attack on you. I partly want to identify through the poll whether this fixation is as prevalent as it seems, and possibly through the thread find out why INFPs lavish such undeserved love and adoration on the Felis Cattus.

My theory: INFPs are attracted to cats in much the same way women are attracted to assholes. Also, there is the INFP fascination with the sullied, the profane, the cruel, the evil.
    I like felines but cats are far from my favorites. They're nice to pet in my opinion but that's as far as the "Attraction" goes.
    I AM fascinated by what you might call "sullied, profane, evil" though.
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    infp

i love cats & i have been living with cats my whole life basically
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

oh my god i lol'd hard at the last option, was totally unexpected

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I *love* cats myself and we have two of them. My theory is it's because they are introverts and know when they need to go off by themselves and recharge whereas extroverted dogs are right there in your face constantly. While I like dogs, I wouldn't want to live with one!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Great post Tilty. Loved the anecdotes. Contrary to popular belief, this is not intended to be a cats vs dogs thread. And you're right - I am ignorant of the kind of trainability, implicit accountability and demonstrative affectionateness (is that a word?) you seem to have experienced with your cats, never having seen nor heard of it before. Most cat-lovers I've encountered happily acknowledge their cats' lack of accountability and indeed consider it a laudable trait, and the foundation upon which they can project all manner of unjustifiable (and usually positive) anthropomorphisms. But if you can stop your cats from engaging in the kind of sadism I've seen them exhibit then my main objection to them as pets largely disappears. I guess a bell on the collar would help stop the behaviour, if not the nature.

As for the crack about a dog eating its own poop, have you ever actually seen that happen?
    Yes, and it's addressed by famous dog trainers, e.g.
    My Dog Eats Poop, Coprophagia, Ask Victoria Stilwell : Animal Planet

Glad you liked my post and sorry if it was a little strident and anti-dog. I like dogs, too, I just don't see that they're any better than cats or any other animals, which all have their individual quirks.

I don't let my cat out, so the most she gets to toy with prey is the occasional bug in the house.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    One of my INFP friends says she doesn't really like them... that they kill wildlife or something

I think thats something her parents convinced her of even if she says she simply agrees with their view

Objectively they don't cause as much harm as a lot of other species

Oh and I love them and have my own
    I always knew you were a closet INFP.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I always knew you were a closet INFP.
    Haha that would be awesome!

Seriously though I like cats for maybe a different reason, they seem to be in tune with their bodies, very aware of their surroundings and just make good company

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

You don't think humans have instincts? I agree it's cruel to punish an animal for being what it's instinctively wired to be if it can't be trained. If it can be trained, I think the owner has a responsibility to just as they have a responsibility to train their kids. If it acts in a manner you would consider sadistic and can't be trained out of it (and that's known from the start), then I'd rather not have such an animal. Maybe that's the attraction of INFPs to cats, at that? They can't be trained, therefore no responsibility.
    Many scientists agree that humans do not have instincts in the manner that we think of animals having them, only drives. Cats can be trained, within reasonable limits, actually. No responsibility in cat ownership? Surely you jest. Cats must be cared for like any other pet, especially if you actually care about your pet.

If a mouse problem is your reason for owning a cat, there are plenty of other solutions out there which offer far more humane ways of dealing with mice. Traps, poison, ferrets etc. They also spare the resident bird population.
    I love cats. I keep them because they're lovable and provide excellent quiet, reciprocal companionship, which is at the same time reasonably unintrusive. My cats never sit on my face while I'm sleeping, and they don't claw me, even if I'm doing something they don't like.

Cats are slightly more intelligent than dogs. Therefore, they'll treat you how you treat them. People with bad cats are usually bad cat owners, barring the incidence of the cat just being feral or sick or mentally impaired.

Cats do tend to only trust a certain person or certain people, and aren't as friendly with strangers. Then again, there are also dogs who are pretty nasty to strangers. Instead of merely running from them like a cat would, the doggie can bite and do serious physical damage.

I don't think that poison or traps are more humane ways to kill mice. Particularly traps, where the mouse can slowly starve to death. Ugh.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemiss View Post
    I *love* cats myself and we have two of them. My theory is it's because they are introverts and know when they need to go off by themselves and recharge whereas extroverted dogs are right there in your face constantly. While I like dogs, I wouldn't want to live with one!
    Well, I am sorry, but your theory doesn't hold water.

If your idea of dogs is one of those:

Sure.

However, if we are talking real dogs:

Most cats are a lot more in your face.