First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    So I was chagrined when I introduced him to friends, as he didn't show ANY of that - he became what I saw as superficial, constantly making jokes (and sort of bad ones at that), trying to keep the atmosphere upbeat, etc, and to be perfectly honest I was sort of embarassed, as my friends in turn didn't really see any bit of who HE was - just this little joking charade he was putting on. I think it was engrained in him to just put on this deflective front, or something. I don't know. I'm not saying this is necessarily an ENFJ thing, as he, like anyone, had 35 years of 'baggage' - from his family, life experiences, whatever.

Sounds normal to me, not broken.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Yes, but did you really expect him to talk about such personal things to your friends?
    Oh, not in the slightest! Sorry if I wasn't clear. It wasn't that I expected him to talk about personal things - people only really become vulnerable/open to those they are close to anyway.

It was just quite shocking to see him turn into a joking machine, as that's really all you saw of him. You didn't see any other side.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

You don't need to worry until you walk out the room and he's suddenly talking about every single detail of your sexlife with his friends and you walk back in the room while their smirking awkwardly while sizing you up.

Humans are strange creatures sometimes.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP

Yes, but did you really expect him to talk about such personal things to your friends?
    Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I can relate to what people are saying here about ENFJs, re: putting on a happy face or seeming superficial. If I'm telling you personal things about myself, it's because I trust you. I trust that you won't go off and tell the whole world; I trust that you won't judge me; I trust that you have my best interests at heart. I'm not giving away personal stuff just for the asking, or to satisfy someone's itch, or to have people not judge me as superficial. If I'm in a group of people I barely know, and I haven't had time to "feel them out," I'm going to keep things light.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Oh, not in the slightest! Sorry if I wasn't clear. It wasn't that I expected him to talk about personal things - people only really become vulnerable/open to those they are close to anyway.

It was just quite shocking to see him turn into a joking machine, as that's really all you saw of him. You didn't see any other side.
    Did you ever see that episode of Friends where Chandler turns into Mr. Nervous Laughy Fake Guy around his boss? Was it like that?
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Did you ever see that episode of Friends where Chandler turns into Mr. Nervous Laughy Fake Guy around his boss? Was it like that?
    Yep, it was kind of like that. :-)

Sorry if I've been unclear...I was just trying address what was in the OP - that to those who don't know him well, and in larger gatherings, etc, you're not going to see a 'thoughtful' side necessarily.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Ahhh, that makes more sense. I can be guilty of that, as well. When I'm out and about, I like things to be light hearted and fun. I have a real problem with Debbie Downers who always want to turn a social gathering into a Dr. Phil session. But that's just my perception of the whole thing, I don't believe for a second that people are trying to fuck up my night.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I can relate to what people are saying here about ENFJs, re: putting on a happy face or seeming superficial. If I'm telling you personal things about myself, it's because I trust you. I trust that you won't go off and tell the whole world; I trust that you won't judge me; I trust that you have my best interests at heart. I'm not giving away personal stuff just for the asking, or to satisfy someone's itch, or to have people not judge me as superficial. If I'm in a group of people I barely know, and I haven't had time to "feel them out," I'm going to keep things light.
    I guess this is the E/INTP difference. I appreciate trust to a degree, but mostly I just need to be in the mood. I am very candid and will talk about anything to anyone, as long as I feel like it. There are, of course, certain topics that I speak about once or twice a decade that I won't share if someone is just curious... but I don't need to be close with you, I just need to know that you are not prodding me.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

You'll get the socially acceptable version of me (or whatever version I deem comfortable for myself) until I know you better. I was a punk so I didn't really have that whole square and squeaky image, but I knew how to package my approach if I was intent on not freaking people out.

I'm not being fake - I'm still showing you part of me, just the leg and not my boobs, all right?
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    I'm still showing you part of me, just the leg and not my boobs, all right?
    :steam:

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

:steam:
    Okay, okay, for YOU, the full monty!

Neutral Good