• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] specific examples Te vs. Ti

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
I don't know why but I cannot understand Te and Ti in action.

Can someone think of a senario and discuss how someone with Te would handle the problem and how someone with Ti would look at it.

I feel I could understand if I see how they are different when tackling the same problem.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Ti is more abstracting and Te is more organizing, for one.

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
I understand the differences in theory but I cannot see it in action. Can you think of a problem and how someone with Ti would abstractly think about it and how someone with Te would interpret it?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I understand the differences in theory but I cannot see it in action. Can you think of a problem and how someone with Ti would abstractly think about it and how someone with Te would interpret it?

Yes can someone do this pwetty pwease? DisneyGeek wants to know too. *puppy dog face*

G

Glycerine

Ti seems to break systems apart and analyze while Te seems to be more empirical, procedural, and stays within set boundaries. Sorry if that doesn't help.

mwv6r

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't know why but I cannot understand Te and Ti in action.

Can someone think of a senario and discuss how someone with Te would handle the problem and how someone with Ti would look at it.

I feel I could understand if I see how they are different when tackling the same problem.

Someone else can probably explain Te versus Ti far better than me, but I'll jump in and give it a try...

I think of Te as a person organizing their external environment. Te dominants like ESTJ and ENTJ are driven to organize their outer world to make it logical (and they are driven to organize people in their outer world as well, which makes me them sometimes a tad bossy, lol).

Ti, as someone mentioned, is more abstract. It's like constantly organizing and reorganizing your inner world as you try to understand the objects, people, and situations that you encounter. Ti dominants like ISTP and INTP are supposedly curious about the way things work. My sister is ISTP and I can just see the wheels spinning in her head as she's observing a mechanical object, for example, although she rarely shares her findings with the outer world. (I see her doing the same thing with people actually, just kind of coolly observing them and -- I imagine -- finding their behavior logically inconsistent, lol.)

I'm kind of rambling at this point. Hopefully this was somewhat helpful.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Ti is taking things apart, seeing what makes things tick, analysis. Subjective.
Te is planning, scheduling, organizing. Objective.

If you supply a problem, I can tell you how I would use either Ti or Te, if that helps, but it seems self explanatory. We all use both functions at different times.

You can read more about Jung's functions here:
Classics in the History of Psychology -- Jung (1921/1923) Chapter 10

Yes can someone do this pwetty pwease? DisneyGeek wants to know too. *puppy dog face*

This sentence makes me angry.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Someone else can probably explain Te versus Ti far better than me, but I'll jump in and give it a try...

I think of Te as a person organizing their external environment. Te dominants like ESTJ and ENTJ are driven to organize their outer world to make it logical (and they are driven to organize people in their outer world as well, which makes me them sometimes a tad bossy, lol).

Ti, as someone mentioned, is more abstract. It's like constantly organizing and reorganizing your inner world as you try to understand the objects, people, and situations that you encounter. Ti dominants like ISTP and INTP are supposedly curious about the way things work. My sister is ISTP and I can just see the wheels spinning in her head as she's observing a mechanical object, for example, although she rarely shares her findings with the outer world. (I see her doing the same thing with people actually, just kind of coolly observing them and -- I imagine -- finding their behavior logically inconsistent, lol.)

I'm kind of rambling at this point. Hopefully this was somewhat helpful.

Ti seems to break systems apart and analyze while Te seems to be more empirical, procedural, and stays within set boundaries. Sorry if that doesn't help.

Ti is taking things apart, seeing what makes things tick, analysis. Subjective.
Te is planning, scheduling, organizing. Objective.

If you supply a problem, I can tell you how I would use either Ti or Te, if that helps, but it seems self explanatory. We all use both functions at different times.

Okay, well since it seems universally impossible for people to perform what the OP requests and simply imagine a concrete scenario that demonstrates Ti and Te usage, I'll try and provide one myself. I'll even throw in Fe and Fi for comparison purposes. These may not be right, so someone correct me if I'm totally off.

Scenario
: your mother wants you to design the landscaping for her new house. She says you can do it however you like, and use whatever materials/flowers/plants/constructions that you want. How would you go about accomplishing this? What would be your first considerations? How would you choose which flowers/plants to use, and where to put each of them?

Ti:
I will answer how I would personally go about doing it (which I think is Ti). I would first do some research and find out which plants grew best in the type of climate/soil conditions afforded by the location of my mother's house. I might also analyze the condition of the soil to determine whether it has any insect/other problems that need to be fixed before planting anything. I would then analyze the location of the house in relation to the sun, so that I could know where I could put different plants based on their specific sun requirements. Also, I would analyze the level of the land, so that if it's uneven, I can level it off, or build some sort of contraption to drain the flooding water if it rains. Don't want the plants to be drowned from a light rain. Then, I would figure out which combination of plants would be optimal (i.e., which ones cannot grow near each other, if any, and which color combinations would be most pleasing against the color of the house).

Te:
I'm not sure how a Te user would go about it. Maybe they'd be first and foremost concerned with the type of budget possible for the project, and plan a good balance between purchasing quality plants and the labor/materials it would take to plant them. They may also project how much the upkeep would cost in future years, and decide on the plants that require the least maintenance and resources to keep healthy through the seasons. They might even have extended plans for what to do if adverse weather conditions, such as flood, drought, snow, or ice, threaten the future life of the plants.

Fe:
(And then maybe an Fe user would choose the types of plants that they knew their mother liked best. Or at least, given material restraints, they'd be concerned with choosing, among the possible options, the ones that were most pleasing to their mother.)

Fi:
(And I don't know what an Fi user would do. Maybe pick the plants that they have fond memories attached to? Or pick from among the possible plants based on how much they appeal to them personally?)

Again, these might be wrong, so feel free to correct any part that seems off the mark.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Te: categorize information according to outcomes and planning
Ti: categorize information accor5ding to principales, ideas and experiences.

They are all the same in the end.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ

Scenario
: your mother wants you to design the landscaping for her new house. She says you can do it however you like, and use whatever materials/flowers/plants/constructions that you want. How would you go about accomplishing this? What would be your first considerations? How would you choose which flowers/plants to use, and where to put each of them?

Te: "Aw, jeez, Ma, what do I know about landscaping, can't we just hire someone?"

One then locates one or more landscapers for quotes, arranges times and negotiates costs.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Because of my begging, incorrect spelling, use of third person, and the puppy dog face? :D

yes, yes, yes and yes. also the icky use of baby talk. *shudder*

Okay, well since it seems universally impossible for people to perform what the OP requests and simply imagine a concrete scenario that demonstrates Ti and Te usage, I'll try and provide one myself.

Not impossible, just didn't care enough to make the effort. Good example, btw. I think the color combination choice would actually be Fe though, and one of the last things I would consider.

Lol, I think if I was using Te, some sort of grid or spreadsheet would be involved, as well. And there would be some conversation about the amount of plants that could fit per square foot while allowing adequate space for the roots. This would never cross my mind ordinarily, as I just realized while looking out at my own pathetic patch of soil which is jammed with overgrown plants in one spot and completely bare in the other. :doh:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Te: "Aw, jeez, Ma, what do I know about landscaping, can't we just hire someone?"

One then locates one or more landscapers for quotes, arranges times and negotiates costs.

Yeah, you're probably right. Only an NTP would have the gall to think they could learn enough about the subject in a short enough amount of time to successfully undertake the project. And only an NTP would be motivated by design and problem solving for its own sake, regardless of what the problem concerns (flowers and such, which would normally seem a bit boring to me).

Not impossible, just didn't care enough to make the effort. Good example, btw. I think the color combination choice would actually be Fe though, and one of the last things I would consider.

That's what I figured. And thanks. About the color thing: the way I see it, the purpose of this type of landscaping is mostly aesthetic, so figuring out which ones look best would be an important consideration. Also, I find it fairly stimulating to use color theory to judge which color combos will be naturally pleasing to the onlooker. But you're right, that's probably Fe.

Lol, I think if I was using Te, some sort of grid or spreadsheet would be involved, as well. And there would be some conversation about the amount of plants that could fit per square foot while allowing adequate space for the roots. This would never cross my mind ordinarily, as I just realized while looking out at my own pathetic patch of soil which is jammed with overgrown plants in one spot and completely bare in the other. :doh:

I know, I used to try and grow some small vegetables and herbs, and my little garden space was all disorganized like you describe. And overgrown/un-manicured. It would definitely not occur to me to plan out spacing. I didn't even think of it when I was thinking of what an extroverted thinker might do, haha.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Hahaha, yeah - there is one spot where the sun shines brightly between all the bushes and you must know that I planted like 20 sunflowers in that one spot. It looks like hell. And to make matters worse, they are not uniform - some are the really tall ones (that are getting very eerily freaking tall) and the rest are short, fat monsters. The rest of my "garden" is bare, except for the few odd plants that keep springing up, which I've apparently forgotten that I planted. The whole area is just taunting me.

sculpting

Hahaha, yeah - there is one spot where the sun shines brightly between all the bushes and you must know that I planted like 20 sunflowers in that one spot. It looks like hell. And to make matters worse, they are not uniform - some are the really tall ones (that are getting very eerily freaking tall) and the rest are short, fat monsters. The rest of my "garden" is bare, except for the few odd plants that keep springing up, which I've apparently forgotten that I planted. The whole area is just taunting me.

Okay, well since it seems universally impossible for people to perform what the OP requests and simply imagine a concrete scenario that demonstrates Ti and Te usage, I'll try and provide one myself. I'll even throw in Fe and Fi for comparison purposes. These may not be right, so someone correct me if I'm totally off.

Scenario

Te:
I'm not sure how a Te user would go about it. Maybe they'd be first and foremost concerned with the type of budget possible for the project, and plan a good balance between purchasing quality plants and the labor/materials it would take to plant them. They may also project how much the upkeep would cost in future years, and decide on the plants that require the least maintenance and resources to keep healthy through the seasons. They might even have extended plans for what to do if adverse weather conditions, such as flood, drought, snow, or ice, threaten the future life of the plants.

Fe:
(And then maybe an Fe user would choose the types of plants that they knew their mother liked best. Or at least, given material restraints, they'd be concerned with choosing, among the possible options, the ones that were most pleasing to their mother.)

Fi:
(And I don't know what an Fi user would do. Maybe pick the plants that they have fond memories attached to? Or pick from among the possible plants based on how much they appeal to them personally?)

Again, these might be wrong, so feel free to correct any part that seems off the mark.

I would expect that Fe would look at the plants planted by the neighbor to help determine the most normal plants to be seen in the neighborhood. You would not want to plant something totally bizarre that would stand out drastically. Fe would buy the most routine plants, plant them in an way that is visually pleaseing and not offensive, but would likely pay attention to the recognized rules for planting plants in that area. (more SFe)

K may not be far off on Te. How much time and money do I have to do this task? Can I do it myself or do I outsource? What would be most efficient? What steps need to be taken to plant the bed properly? First enrich the soil, second layer the bed, third, add support rails and so on. (more STe)

Fi buys all the really odd plants, sticks threm in way too close a space, doesnt want to weed them as it is sad to kill the plants, and then tries to save plants which should be thrown in the trash. Then it lets them all grow like crazy till there are massive mounds of flowers of every color overtaking the house. (more NFi)

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Scenario

Ti:
<very interesting!>

Te:

I think you took a good stab at it. My thoughts:

First, define operating parameters:
What is the timeline? What is the budget? What is the desired level of effort, and where does this fit in priority to other things? How long do I have to do this? Then I'd need an overreaching mission statement: Why am I doing this, and what do I want to accomplish? All those questions are interlinked, as the amount of time I have may influence my overall objective, and vice versa.

Then I create a plan.

1) Understand where I am now, aka understand the land. Walk through the area and create a diagram of the yard. Bonus points for a true to scale gridsheet.
2) Understand where I want to go. This is where the above questions need to be answered.
3) Understand how to get there. Aka, FEED ME DATA! This is where I'd start asking people I know (or at a landscaping shop) questions about what I need to do and what traps I need to be aware of. Once I have that info, I'd supplement that with internet searches, etc.
4) Put it all together into a plan. Using everything, I can then make decisions and turn my information into a step by step action plan.
5) Execute plan, analyze that things are going well, and make adjustments as necessary.

Another example of Te is how I'd use objective data to feed Fi. So if a statue cost $500, and I have an operating budget of $2,000, I ask myself, is this thing worth 25% of my total budget? If I purchased a less expensive $300 statue, what could I do with the extra $200? Fi then makes the subjective call.

Fi is used to answer the subjective questions above. For example:

Why am I doing this? Because my yard is a mess, and I want to be proud of my yard.

What do I want to accomplish? I'd want my yard to be 'relaxing' and 'welcoming'. Understated, with perhaps a couple of elements of flair to give it personality. ... at that point, Te would take over and gather information to discover what options are available, as Fi subjectively determines if each option works towards that goal.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Hahaha, my Fe is going "I don't want people to think I'm a slob" or "that's the weird house to avoid on Halloween, kids".

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ti:
I will answer how I would personally go about doing it (which I think is Ti). I would first do some research and find out which plants grew best in the type of climate/soil conditions afforded by the location of my mother's house. I might also analyze the condition of the soil to determine whether it has any insect/other problems that need to be fixed before planting anything. I would then analyze the location of the house in relation to the sun, so that I could know where I could put different plants based on their specific sun requirements. Also, I would analyze the level of the land, so that if it's uneven, I can level it off, or build some sort of contraption to drain the flooding water if it rains. Don't want the plants to be drowned from a light rain. Then, I would figure out which combination of plants would be optimal (i.e., which ones cannot grow near each other, if any, and which color combinations would be most pleasing against the color of the house).

Fe:

As for the Ti description --right on! I would do that. I know I would. In a scenario like this where long-term success would outweigh my desire to do short-term pleasing, I would definitely plan things out meticulously. If I could include things she likes --great, but I'd be more concerned that it was successful in the long run. Good call Orangey.

Ti takes apart and analyzes... ?
4501-gears.jpg

Te puts together and organizes... ?
IV_clock_Westminster.JPG

Ti schematics vs. Te construction... ? Figuring out what makes it tick vs. Making it tick

sculpting

Hahaha, my Fe is going "I don't want people to think I'm a slob" or "that's the weird house to avoid on Halloween, kids".

So-lacking Fe utterly-I always have the crazy ass yard.

In michigan I had this 150 long front yard and this tiny 900 sq ft house.

I tore up the grass and planted fifteen tomato plants in the front yard. I then planted four more in an old wheelbarrow. It was a tomato forest and eventually the plants were wider than the front of the house. All around the house were plants and random patches of petunias. I also put a rock garden in the back and even more tomatoes there.

I also built my own christmas lawn animals but that is a whole other story.