• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Is the INFJ type disputed?

KarenParker

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
I heard that the INFJ type is disputed. Is that true? Does anyone know much about this?

On a sort of unrelated note, someone made a joke one time that ENTPs or some type like that, they typically believe MBTI is a bunch of bunk. Has anyone else heard anything about that?

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
IT depends on the person. SJs would see it as essentially useless (Unless they found it interesting), SPs would be the same way, NFs (especially NFPs) would be like 'I'm a person! Dont box me in!' and NTs might see it interesting as a theoretical system, but not much more than that. I think NFJs might be the most interested in it just to have the added structure to how they view people.

I just think MBTI is useful for figuring out differences in people. Knowing where difficulties might/will occur is a good step in resolving them cleanly.

And what do you mean by disputed? That they aren't 'actually' INFJs? I don't have much of a clue about this besides that I could be seen as different types depending on what people saw of me.

sculpting

every entp I have told about mbti dismisses it and says you cannot group people into types.

I send them a few links and leave them alone.

In three to five days they roam back around and start asking more questions, still of course insisting that they dont fit into pre-established patterns.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Almost the whole of Europe thinks MBTI is a bunch of bunk and my INFJ thinks so too.

I think what you read is that entps like to create their own system. Which is true given the fact that you have the ability to see connections where there are none. Socionics was created by an entp I think.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:confused: What's the question? I don't understand it the way it is phrased.

MrME

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Disputed by whom and in what way?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
every entp I have told about mbti dismisses it and says you cannot group people into types.

I send them a few links and leave them alone.

In three to five days they roam back around and start asking more questions, still of course insisting that they dont fit into pre-established patterns.

I felt that way for many years, mainly because I felt no type described me. I learned more about MBTI and have changed my mind now :D
I'm one of those who looks at the functions combined with profiles. If I just went by profiles, then I'd still think it was stupid. Profiles are stereotypes of how the functions tend to work together, IMO. So in that sense, types are stereotypes and functions individual preferences.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Yup, all the INFJs posting on here are actually figments of your imagination.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Yup, all the INFJs posting on here are actually figments of your imagination.

This is actually my government's training ground for acting human. I am actually an alien from another solar system, but you wont believe me. You are but a human.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1

Nope. Not me.

Now that I have realized the discrepancy of my previous post. I find MBTI profiles to be pretty wrong. They should not be used as a type identifier. IF anything, learning function order and what each function IS is the only real way to type yourself. If anything, you could scrap MBTI and just use functions just fine. It's better to know the functions before looking up MBTI anyway.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's this idea that INFJs are sooo "rare", being the "rarest type", that no one wants to believe anyone actually is one. INFJs seem reluctant to allow another into their exclusive little club, and they try to send their rejects over to us INFPs (as if INFPs are sooo much more common).

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I think the discrepancy between the number of INFJs represented on message boards and the supposed rarity of the type might be explained by the fact that we love being understood, and we often express ourselves best through writing. Message boards (especially those that draw a mostly intelligent crowd) are the perfect way to relate for INFJs.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Nope. Not me.

Dont be afraid, I would never do you any harm.

It will be forever impossible to be infj or any other type, no matter how good you are at it. And thats only because a definition will never be the same as a human. The definition has always to work within its definition, the boundaries of the humans on the other hand are endless.

MrME

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've never bought into this whole Ni Ne Fe Pq Rn stuff. MBTI is a simple tool that works really well if you're not trying to squeeze too many answers out of it. People attempting to attribute every single little personality trait to a "function" in the MBTI seem to be straining the system beyond its abilities. Equally bad are people who rigidly believe that the different types must adhere to the definitions verbatim, or they couldn't possibly be X or Y or Z.

MBTI is a starting line for understanding people, not the finish line. Nobody is 100% like their MBTI profile. If we were, human interaction would be much simpler.

MrME

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think the discrepancy between the number of INFJs represented on message boards and the supposed rarity of the type might be explained by the fact that we love being understood, and we often express ourselves best through writing. Message boards (especially those that draw a mostly intelligent crowd) are the perfect way to relate for INFJs.

Agreed on this. Introverts, in particular, are going to be over-represented on the Internet in general. It's a public forum that doesn't require "real" interaction, so Introverts can actually socialize AND recharge at the same time. I lurve the Internet. Perhaps a bit too much. :blush:

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4

+1

Not to mention INFJs are mostly homebodies so it's not likely you'd meet them outside of their social circle. They're at home a lot, doing INFJ stuff. :)

Werewolfen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
This stuff is still new to me, I am still learning about the MBTI , never heard about it until about a year ago, everything I've read about INFJ's ..err...almost everything is correct, I think a person's Enneagram means just as much to a person if not maybe more than a person's MBTI , just my 2 cents worth.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I hear what you're saying, Sarcasticus. I go out a lot...but when I get home (unless I'm uncharacteristically bored), I breathe a sigh of relief. :p I tend to go out to collect bits of "interesting", then come back home (or somewhere quiet) to chew on it. :p