User Tag List

123 Last

Default Is Fi an emo mirror?

So on the Fi and Fe quizzes the following were qestions asked:

Fi": "I assess other peopleĺs emotional states by reading my own internal reactions."

Fe: "I assess others people emotional states by watching thier behavior"

If I understand correctly this is one of the main differences between the two functions.

I wanted to describe what Fi is like for me and see if this sounds familiar to other Fi using folks. I could be an utter freakshow.

For me, Fi acts like an emo mirror. If I am relaxed and open, not blocking with Te or trying to emotional detach from the situation, if I see someone having an emotion, on some level I mirror that emotion myself.

So if you are happy, then I "feel" happy. I assume that this is a true physiological cascade of chemical hormones, and it truly constitutes a real emotion.

If you are in sad, I "feel" your sadness.
    If you are in emotional or physical pain, I "feel" your pain. It can really hurt.
    If you are in love with me, then it would make it very easy for me to "feel" in love with you.

Of course there is the very real danger I will not correctly perceive what you actually feel, and my emo response will not correctly mirror what you are really feeling.

But other Fi users, does this sound accurate?

your resident asshole

This reminds my of sympathy/empathy. I'm not sure which, though, because I get my definitions mixed up. :/

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

When someone is genuinely hurting ... in genuine distress (note which word I'm emphasizing here), I feel all of it. And I cannot turn it off.

I had this discussion with an entp friend-a super Fe user.

I explained exactly what I said above and he said "Oh I totally know what you mean, if I seem someone getting socially embarrassed I feel so bad for them." It was so enlightening about how Fe works for him.

Blah, do you internally sense the pain they are in-if they are sad do you then feel sad? How can you tell it is genuine?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    This reminds my of sympathy/empathy. I'm not sure which, though, because I get my definitions mixed up. :/
    Fi empathy, Fe sympathy

at least by the definitions at the start of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Sympathy is a social affinity in which one person stands with another person, closely understanding his or her feelings. It also can mean being affected by feelings or emotions. Thus the essence of sympathy is that one has a strong concern for the other person. Sympathy exists when the feelings or emotions of one person are deeply understood and appreciated by another person.

Empathy is the capability to share and understand another's emotions and feelings. It is often characterized as the ability to "put oneself into another's shoes," Empathy does not necessarily imply compassion, sympathy, or empathic concern because this capacity can be present in context of compassionate or cruel behavior.
    Freude, sch├Âner G├Âtterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Br├╝der, Wo dein sanfter Fl├╝gel weilt.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Ne-Monster View Post
    I had this discussion with an entp friend-a super Fe user.

I explained exactly what I said above and he said "Oh I totally know what you mean, if I seem someone getting socially embarrassed I feel so bad for them." It was so enlightening about how Fe works for him.

Blah, do you internally sense the pain they are in-if they are sad do you then feel sad? How can you tell it is genuine?

Logical observation usually tells me it's genuine (sometimes my observation is wrong).

If I sense falseness, I feel nothing. Not sympathy, not empathy ... nothing.

Also, I can feel what someone else is feeling, extremely strongly, but simply choose not to act on it. If I care for someone, but I think it would be a bad idea to do that, I'll keep my distance despite my feelings.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Can't one use Fi and Fe equally- using the two as one to assess a person's emotional state?
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    Fi empathy, Fe sympathy

at least by the definitions at the start of the thread.
    Ahh, okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    Can't one use Fi and Fe equally- using the two as one to assess a person's emotional state?
    I don't see why not.

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahNounBlah View Post
    Logical observation usually tells me it's genuine (sometimes my observation is wrong).

If I sense falseness, I feel nothing. Not sympathy, not empathy ... nothing.

Also, I can feel what someone else is feeling, extremely strongly, but simply choose not to act on it. If I care for someone, but I think it would be a bad idea to do that, I'll keep my distance despite my feelings.
    I was about to post about it. It is Ne. Having clear perception of the situation gives you empathy effectively. You know what is happening and where they are at. We stare it down less easily because of the Fi processing. From what I know Ti can look at it from a more detached perspective, Fi is standing in the fire.
    Freude, sch├Âner G├Âtterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Br├╝der, Wo dein sanfter Fl├╝gel weilt.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Ne-Monster, you are very likely insane, but I pretty much agree with you here.

Here's the breakdown:
    1) Person emotes
    2) The emotion resonates within me. It doesn't usually affect my mood, but I still feel it.
    3) Since I recognize the emotion in me, I can identify it.
    4) I use this knowledge to identify how they feel.

Four problems that can occur:
    1) I incorrectly misinterpret the gesture for the emotion it was trying to emulate.
    2) I correctly identify the emotion, but misinterpret the reason behind the emotion.
    3) I can't relate to whatever they are feeling.
    4) The person's emotions fail to resonate within me, leaving me clueless and unable to get a read.