User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Ne-monster: From your description of Fe and Fi, Fe almost sounds more objective than Fi.
    Fe relies on observable behavior while Fi relies on personal reactions- which are subjective in nature.
    As an ENTP, I guess I use both equally.. I'll try to figure out what a person is thinking or how a person is feeling based on his or her behavior and try to read behind the lines.. which I often use my internal reactions to a situation as a guide...
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Ne-Monster, you are very likely insane, but I pretty much agree with you here.

Here's the breakdown:
    1) Person emotes
    2) The emotion resonates within me. It doesn't usually affect my mood, but I still feel it.
    3) Since I recognize the emotion in me, I can identify it.
    4) I use this knowledge to identify how they feel.

Four problems that can occur:
    1) I incorrectly misinterpret the gesture for the emotion it was trying to emulate.
    2) I correctly identify the emotion, but misinterpret the reason behind the emotion.
    3) I can't relate to whatever they are feeling.
    4) The person's emotions fail to resonate within me, leaving me clueless and unable to get a read.

This sounds right . Udog hits the nail on the head again

Quite honestly, I am not personally affected by another person's emotions. I know what they feel, I don't feel what they feel. I can identify their emotion, but in that moment I do not take on their emotion. If someone is sad, I can recognize it and put myself in their shoes and see why they feel that way, but it does not necessarily make me sad. In some ways, I feel almost detached when doing this. So, no, I don't feel I mirror other's emotions as the OP seems to be saying.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    Can't one use Fi and Fe equally- using the two as one to assess a person's emotional state?
    That's what I do, how I feel that they are feeling and going by their behavior.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Quite honestly, I am not personally affected by another person's emotions. I know what they feel, I don't feel what they feel. I can identify their emotion, but in that moment I do not take on their emotion. If someone is sad, I can recognize it and put myself in their shoes and see why they feel that way, but it does not necessarily make me sad. In some ways, I feel almost detached when doing this. So, no, I don't feel I mirror other's emotions as the OP seems to be saying.
    Yeah, this is a good distinction to make. As far as someone's mood affecting me, it does to minor extents. Let's call it a 20:1 ratio just because we can. So if someone is sad, it can chip away at my more positive mood, but not upset me.

Exception: If I'm stressed. Then my empathy can bleed over and affect me.

Glycerine

So are Fi users much more aware of how they themselves are feeling so they can usually empathize and relate to how the other person is feeling because they have experienced the emotion personally but don't usually "absorb" the other person's emotion like a sponge? As a Fe user, if someone gets "mad", I start to actually feel the emotion of "mad" but then when I get away, I start to wonder why the hell was I so mad.
    As one poster said, Fi has more protective measures than Fe so the Fi user knows what he or she feels so he or she won't let external forces affect quite as much (since its internal). The actual mirroring of feelings and emotions sounds more Fe from the examples shown in the OP because the Fe user is externally focused with values. Please correct me if I am wrong. However, there seems to be a blurred line between the types of Feeling. I know of couple of Fi doms that have adapted Fe type of traits and I have adapted Fi type of traits from very strong NFP influences so it's never clearcut.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by IDK123 View Post
    So are Fi users much more aware of how they themselves are feeling so they can usually empathize and relate to how the other person is feeling because they have experienced the emotion personally but don't usually "absorb" the other person's emotion like a sponge? As a Fe user, if someone gets "mad", I start to actually feel the emotion of "mad" but then when I get away, I start to wonder why the hell was I so mad.
    As one poster said, Fi has more protective measures than Fe so the Fi user knows what he or she feels so he or she won't let external forces affect quite as much (since its internal). The actual mirroring of feelings and emotions sounds more Fe from the examples shown in the OP because the Fe user is externally focused with values. Please correct me if I am wrong. However, there seems to be a blurred line between the types of Feeling. I know of couple of Fi doms that have adapted Fe type of traits and I have adapted Fi type of traits from very strong NFP influences so it's never clearcut.

I would agree with that . I feel I can empathize without losing myself in their emotion. I agree with Udog in that I am not totally immune to being affected, but I generally keep my own mood.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I agree with you, Ne-Monster.

MBTI
    infp

I can't switch off the mirror, I honestly feel a persons sadness like it's my own sadness even if I don't know that person.

I can't read a news report and not feel the emotions that I imagine the victim or victims family might be feeling for instance. It's so easy for me to put myself in their shoes.

Thankfully knowing about different types has made me clue into Fe more because I need to watch them to see if infact they are feeling what I would be feeling if I was in their shoes.

Mind you though, I never went wrong with using Fi to assess a persons emotional state before, even if they are different types I have been quite correct and connected to that nugget of them that feels what it is I imagine they are feeling that they haven't yet recognised within themselves yet.

But with using some Fe now I can double check to be sure.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Glad I am not totally alone on this one.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Udog! It's good to know others see me as I see myself.... ?

I wonder if Ne makes this whole Fi mirror thing even worse.

IDK123's comments are really interesting though as I thought Fe sort of watched from the outside.

I can block it two ways. One is if I am on a Te mission. I can hurt or watch other pwople hurt, feel thier pain but ignore it, as I understand that their small amount of perceived suffering is for the better of the whole group. I often have to do this at work. This is short term though, as Te requires a lot of energy and later I feel guilty.

The other way is more confusing for me-I think I may be using Ti rather than Fi. I emotionally detach and rationalize what I see. I rationalize to block the emotion. It effectively isolates the Fi, but also leaves me numb without any feelings at all. I become a bit machine like. I think this may be a learned defense mechanism.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    I can't switch off the mirror, I honestly feel a persons sadness like it's my own sadness even if I don't know that person.

I can't read a news report and not feel the emotions that I imagine the victim or victims family might be feeling for instance. It's so easy for me to put myself in their shoes.

Thankfully knowing about different types has made me clue into Fe more because I need to watch them to see if infact they are feeling what I would be feeling if I was in their shoes.

Mind you though, I never went wrong with using Fi to assess a persons emotional state before, even if they are different types I have been quite correct and connected to that nugget of them that feels what it is I imagine they are feeling that they haven't yet recognised within themselves yet.

But with using some Fe now I can double check to be sure.

+10000

I used to be unable to turn off the mirror, especially when the emotions coming from the person were incredibly intense. I'd no longer know where my emotions started and theirs ended. I've gotten a bit better at it but the more intense the harder it is to keep that division. I do verify everytime, as I might get the emotions right but not the reason behind it, which I use Ne for. If for instance I cannot relate to their way of thinking/viewing the world, it can take several tries before I get how they view the world and where this emotion actually fits in.

Also very much identify with the bolded part. Often people will tell me I'm mistaken in the moment, but tell me afterwards that I was right afterall, though I'm not claiming to be infallable. If they tell me in the moment that I'm wrong, I will ask follow up questions to verify and also use Fe to do so and if i turn out to be wrong it's indeed often the interpretation that I fumbled up. But if I again come to the same conclusion as the first time, I'll drop the matter, as I don't consider it worth the headache to prove I'm right.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”