• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Am I Bound to Help and Never Be Helped?

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
Then I guess you should read the thread.:tongue:

What I am trying to say is I have seen NFs, especially NFJs (both E and INFJs. I have a lot of them in my life.) complain about how "self absorbed" the other party is while simultaneously positing that they themselves are not that way at all and are constantly striving to be selfless and do things for the good of all. I find that view point to be somewhat, well, self absorbed. There are countless threads begun by E/INFJs on this forum where the central point of discussion is someone else's selfishness. There's one on the first page right now! ("Are selfishness and Fi related?")

You are in fact correct about how E/INFJs differ in their views about selfishness and giving to others. What I have gathered from the contents of this thread is that INFJs perceive selflessness as doing a helpful act for another party for the pure sake of making the other party's life a better place. Apparently this is even more selfless if the help is unsolicited.

What I am arguing is that if this is in fact the case then selflessness should reject any desire for thanks because to do so would be selfish and therefore tarnish the entire act as selfish. I also disapprove of the idea of unsolicited help because I have had NFJs come into my life with a genuine desire to help me (when I didn't think I needed help) and then made everything worse because they didn't understand the entirety of the situation.

Perhaps my understanding of the INFJ concept of selflessness is incorrect in which case I hope that the INFJs on this forum will enlighten me as to what their opinion of selfishness is.

Hendo Barbarosa

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
hey everyone, I just wanted to say, I mean, I didn't read this thread. So, I don't really know, like, what it's about...but I just wanted to say I think I disagree. In fact, I think I strongly disagree.

About what, well, I'm not exactly sure, I haven't really read this thread.

;)

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Then I guess you should read the thread.:tongue:
I skimmed it, so I had the major points. I just didn't have the details. But I've read it now and I still stand by my points.

What I am arguing is that if this is in fact the case then selflessness should reject any desire for thanks because to do so would be selfish and therefore tarnish the entire act as selfish. I also disapprove of the idea of unsolicited help because I have had NFJs come into my life with a genuine desire to help me (when I didn't think I needed help) and then made everything worse because they didn't understand the entirety of the situation.
I do think it is ironic that you are lamenting that NFJs want to push their ideas of how a person should give on to another, yet you turn around and say "No NFJs, this is the right way to approach it." The point is that different types will have different ways that they feel they can contribute, and none is necessarily better than the other.

Perhaps my understanding of the INFJ concept of selflessness is incorrect in which case I hope that the INFJs on this forum will enlighten me as to what their opinion of selfishness is.
It is very erroneous. But saying "you are wrong," isn't going to encourage anyone to do that.

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
I didn't say you have to conform to my way of thinking. I'm just making my points so that you will respond with yours and everyone will get a better understanding of the other's opinion. I thought that this was how discussions worked. I never said my point was right and yours was wrong. I am just saying that I have a point.

What is your definition of selfishness, Lauren and why do you think my point is wrong?

Edit: Looking back I understand that my comments did sound aggressive and I would like to say that this is not a personal attack on anyone or their opinions. This is how I learn, by arguing and breaking down other peoples' opinions in order to see where they fit into mine. What I was trying to do is provoke a counter argument and I am sorry if I did it wrong.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't say you have to conform to my way of thinking.
You might as well have.

I'm just making my points so that you will respond with yours and everyone will get a better understanding of the other's opinion. I thought that this was how discussions worked.
But you came in to this discussion already believing that the other side was misguided in their views. And you just kept hammering that home. How can you ever reach an understanding if you hold on to that?

I never said my point was right and yours was wrong.
Utterly false.

How many people actively asked you for help prior to you helping them? I have NFJ friends who keep trying to solve my "relationship problems" when I not only don't have relationship problems they are none of their business. That's not "being helpful" that's meddling.
In other words, "you're wrong."

It is not POSSIBLE to know what someone else really feels no matter how much your intuition tells you it is. It is therefore unreasonable to tailor all your actions to those ideas.

I think that NFJs have an inaccurate view of what "selflessness" and giving to others means.

What is your definition of selfishness, Lauren and why do you think my point is wrong?
I don't have any hard and fast rules on what constitutes selfishness. Your point isn't wrong, if that's the way you approach things, great. But that's unique to you, and everyone won't feel the same way.

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Tiny Army, can you please stop calling me selfish if you yourself admit you don't have the same perspective of what it is as I do?

You assume that I'm "complaining," which I suppose is what you call it when a person is sharing a feeling they have. I'm not complaining, I'm expressing dissatisfaction in others' inability to treat me the same way I treat them. Complaining implies I'm clinging to this fact-- I'm not. If I wanted to complain, I would have addressed the subject in the most immature of ways.

But you're doing something that annoys the hell out of me: you're misconstruing my intentions. Part of Buddhism's Noble Eightfold Path is "right intention," which comes with helping others for others, not one's own satisfaction. Satisfaction comes naturally with good intention with the realization that what has been done has spread a good effect. But here's the thing: I'm a human. I have emotions. I get discouraged-- especially when I don't see anyone other than myself being selfless.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
*sigh*

Fi users.

People don't bind others to be as selfless as they are, they just forget sometimes to say what they need and give others the chance to help them too.

And although the OP was kinda whiny and indirectly directive, still it was, more or less, a statement of what he needs. People's Ns may be pouncing on the wrong parts of the message.

And Peace came upon the land, at the word of the kindly, avuncular INTJ, and later many people woke up with their wallets missing. Bye!

Lightyear

Firstly, I don't give unsolicited help, it's a waste of my time and energy. I am also not going to force my help on you if I realise that you are not interested since again it is just going to drain me for no good reason.

Secondly what's so bad about liking to hear a "Thank you."? As I said before it recharges me and makes me want to keep on giving, it's like a tiny portion of superpowered fuel that can keep my engine running for a long time. But even if I don't get a "Thank you." it makes me happy to see that my actions have resulted in positive fruit, like fill I am perfectly content watching things positively unfold while standing in the background.

I think you are just really hard on NFJs by judging their entire act to be tarnished just because they enjoy to hear a thanks. We are human for heaven's sake and not some neverending well of generosity. At some point our batteries run out just like everyone else's so getting even some tiny bit of positive reinforcement from outside ourselves can help us immensely and recharge us.

Snow Turtle

I find it sort of amusing that my INFJ friend went through the same thing about 3-4 Years ago. It appears to be an extremely common problem. I don't think I have ever experienced this sort of thing, but I do identify with the desire to be altruistic except I later realised it's impossible.

It's not possible to be selfless since it'd mean that we'd derive no pleasure from our action. The only way this would be possible is if a person was commiting a good action, but to him or her it would be a natural action. There would be no ego involved at all. So it's time to ditch that concept...

It should be mentioned that there's a huge difference between being self-interested and selfish. They both mean the same thing literally, but at the same time there's usually a difference between the two. Selfish implies that we're doing something at the cost of another person, where as self-interest can be a mutual gain. Unfortunately it seems that some NFJs may be prone to the whole "I can do better, and if I'm not spending my time helping others, then they are disadvantanges, therefore this may be selfish action" which pushes them to exhuast themselves. Why do we strive to be altruistic? I guess it's the ideal world where people would be much better off if people were willing to help without expecting return. :D

Back to real life. I find it's best to not expect anything at all from other people when helping them. You can hope for something but logically people are under no obligation to do anything, unless it's been agreed upon.

As for whether there are people that aren't 'selfish'... I've found lots of people that are rather helpful and these are my friends. I wouldn't say the road is that empty, however people express help in different ways. For example: I'm not really one to offer help unless it's really obvious that they need it, because I don't like the idea of interfering with them. :D

Some people prefer to comfort someone by spending time with them eatting cookies and icecream, other people like me are an open ear but until spoken to, will assume that you want your own time to regroup. Some people help the world by encouraging people to follow their own values, it may not be conscious helping but it's still helping...

LavaLucy

MBTI Type
infj
And me too.

Even though I learn from my mistakes and know what to expect and not expect from certain people... they or I with an expectation still let me down. :doh: I'm not asking them to guess either which yes I am often guilty of, it's when I explain what I need and why, and it's usually just a little thing, then I'm annoyed. Or when someone is in a position to help someone else that I am not in and they just refuse= :(