First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    That's been the opposite of what I've read. Type 9s don't know their own desires and needs. They have to dig to discover that. It's not a choice to chose harmony over self, it simply is.
    Do you remember where you read that? The only thing I really found in the link you provided earlier (9 - Enneagram Type Nine: The Peacemaker) was this:

"We have sometimes called the Nine the crown of the Enneagram because it is at the top of the symbol and because it seems to include the whole of it. Nines can have the strength of Eights, the sense of fun and adventure of Sevens, the dutifulness of Sixes, the intellectualism of Fives, the creativity of Fours, the attractiveness of Threes, the generosity of Twos, and the idealism of Ones. However, what they generally do not have is a sense of really inhabiting themselves—a strong sense of their own identity. "

How can an INFP not have a sense of identity? The next paragraph answers that question for us:

"Ironically, therefore, the only type the Nine is not like is the Nine itself. Being a separate self, an individual who must assert herself against others, is terrifying to Nines. They would rather melt into someone else or quietly follow their idyllic daydreams."

My strong empathy into the state of others makes it very easy for me to get distracted. Sort of like watching TV when you know the lawn needs to be mowed.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    I know when I am suppressing, when I don't like something.
    Yup, me too. What I often don't know is how deep the suppressed emotion goes. That's where the numbing comes in. I know I'm angry, perhaps very angry, but I look away because if I face that anger head on, I stand a chance of losing my temper and doing something I regret.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Yup, me too. What I often don't know is how deep the suppressed emotion goes. That's where the numbing comes in. I know I'm angry, perhaps very angry, but I look away because if I face that anger head on, I stand a chance of losing my temper and doing something I regret.
    It's a reason why I meditate actually, and a good reason why I need to exercise more than I do.

Perhaps type 9 expresses somewhat differently from an emotional perspective in other MBTI types not already so FiNe-tuned !

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Perhaps type 9 expresses somewhat differently from an emotional perspective in other MBTI types not already so FiNe-tuned !
    How E9 reflects in different types is very interesting to me. It's essentially the same behavior, but often created by completely different mental processes.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

How E9 reflects in different types is very interesting to me. It's essentially the same behavior, but often created by completely different mental processes.
    its like studying stones
    I think E9 is Te to emotions
    and E4 is Fi to emotions
    I N V I C T U S

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Do you remember where you read that? The only thing I really found in the link you provided earlier (9 - Enneagram Type Nine: The Peacemaker) was this:

"We have sometimes called the Nine the crown of the Enneagram because it is at the top of the symbol and because it seems to include the whole of it. Nines can have the strength of Eights, the sense of fun and adventure of Sevens, the dutifulness of Sixes, the intellectualism of Fives, the creativity of Fours, the attractiveness of Threes, the generosity of Twos, and the idealism of Ones. However, what they generally do not have is a sense of really inhabiting themselves—a strong sense of their own identity. "

How can an INFP not have a sense of identity? The next paragraph answers that question for us:

"Ironically, therefore, the only type the Nine is not like is the Nine itself. Being a separate self, an individual who must assert herself against others, is terrifying to Nines. They would rather melt into someone else or quietly follow their idyllic daydreams."

My strong empathy into the state of others makes it very easy for me to get distracted. Sort of like watching TV when you know the lawn needs to be mowed.
    That's because it's an application of Fe, rather than Fi. What kind of INFP doesn't use their lead function?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

That's because it's an application of Fe, rather than Fi. What kind of INFP doesn't use their lead function?
    When I do cognitive process testing, my Fi is strongest, but Fe scores high too. (Actually I score as ENFP on those tests, but I digress).

I think of it as an Fi - Fe battle sometimes. For example, Fi says "You're being taken advantage of" but Fe says "Those people need your help". Fi says "But those people made their own problem and you are tired, you need to rest" and Fe responds "But you don't want them to think you don't care about their situation, and you are a nice person who helps others".

Fi is always more "natural"; but my Fe is very developed, and a continual source of direction towards helping others vs focussing more on myself. Discrimination in situations like the above is necessary, and in my twenties, I pretty much squished the Fi down most of the time. Now, in my glorious early 40's, I am listening WAY more to my Fi, and since my kids are young adults now, I am beginning to stretch out and really think about myself.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

That's because it's an application of Fe, rather than Fi.
    Disagree. The behaviors may appear Fe oriented, but the cognitive process I use to get there is very much Fi oriented. I've always scored very low Fe on cognitive tests, and have yet to find a description of it I strongly relate to.

What kind of INFP doesn't use their lead function?
    I assure you I use my lead function. Fi is versatile enough to not only be good for artistry and emotional drama bombs. What are the contradictions you are having trouble reconciling?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Disagree. The behaviors may appear Fe oriented, but the cognitive process I use to get there is very much Fi oriented. I've always scored very low Fe on cognitive tests, and have yet to find a description of it I strongly relate to.
    Interesting. Fe scores as my 4th highest (Ne / Fi / Te / Fe). Of course, that's through some test I can't recall that says I am ENFP, so take it with a grain of salt. Plus, as a woman, we are kind of conditioned from a young age to BE Fe I think. And I think my higher Te is from being raised in a very SJ family and I have an SJ spouse.

Description of Fe: Extraverted Thinking: Connecting; considering others and the group—organizing to meet their needs and honor their values and feelings; maintaining societal, organizational, or group values; adjusting to and accommodating others; deciding if something is appropriate or acceptable to others. Considering what would be appropriate for the situation: “One should or shouldn’t wear…” or “People will think…”

Sure, I see myself in there. What do you think of that description Udog?

I assure you I use my lead function. Fi is versatile enough to not only be good for artistry and emotional drama bombs
    Agreed.

Macguffin, what Enneagram type are you, for curiousity's sake?

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Interesting. Fe scores as my 4th highest (Ne / Fi / Te / Fe).
    No wonder the test pegged you for ENFP - you share 3 of the first 4 functions with em!

Description of Fe: Extraverted Thinking: Connecting; considering others and the group—organizing to meet their needs and honor their values and feelings; maintaining societal, organizational, or group values; adjusting to and accommodating others; deciding if something is appropriate or acceptable to others. Considering what would be appropriate for the situation: “One should or shouldn’t wear…” or “People will think…”

Sure, I see myself in there. What do you think of that description Udog?
    I definitely relate to much of that. I don't really have a strong desire to connect with a group though, unless there is a need to connect. Then it becomes very important to me to try to make the connection genuine. Also, some of the social appropriateness aspects can also be attributed by an Fi/Si tagteam. i.e. "What clothes are appropriate to wear to an event like this?"

How accurate do you feel this Fe description is compared to others?

Okay - I guess I should go off and do a cognitive test. It's been awhile.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Macguffin, what Enneagram type are you, for curiousity's sake?
    9w1.

Or 5w4, not sure yet.