User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Default Stop Stereotyping NFs! Srysly.

Why does everyone stereotype NFs as being peaceful, nature loving, happy, cuddly little souls?

MBTI is a matter of preference and is so general, that it was probably never meant to be used so drastically and specifically as we use it here. We assume so much, and remember so little about what MBTI really is. It's not WHAT you do..but HOW and WHY you do it. You can have an NF in the army..you can have an SP Politician..you can have an NT Garbage man..or an SJ rock star. NFs do what they of love and inspiration...whether it be leading peace rallies, saving the rainforest, killing enemies in battle, or in the confines of a cubicle in a large corporation.

Stop stereotyping NFs, everybody! It's about individual and less about 'oh, he's this type so he must be like this, or he must have a job in this'. No, that's all wrong and you're assuming so much it just makes you look arrogant.

I have to say..this forum, being here, and interacting has kind of ruined my outlook and intelligence of Myers Briggs. It's sort of taking it too far, in general..this isn't really what personality types should have ended up like. But that doesn't matter, we're here and we do learn a lot of other things. But please, can we try not to stereotype other types often as we do, and relax and realize it's more about the individual and that we're all insane?

-OWS
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

lol, that military thread really pissed you off, huh? You knwo you're right, but your reaction to this doesnt exactly detract far from ENFP stereotypes, either, yanno ..... :P

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Leave it to an NF to be offended enough about stereotyping on a typology website to post about it.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I guess it's kind of ironic, now that I think of it. I guess ENFPs would be most prone to do such a thing..I'm not trying to eliminate stereotypes, as so many people fall into them, but just trying to get people to start perceiving more than judging when they deal with MBTI. I think what I'm trying to say is that there are mental stereotypes (ie: me creating this thread is stereotypical of an ENFP), and there are physical and concrete stereotypes that people use to judge types..which is a stupid choice, imo.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    xxxx

It's not WHAT you do..but HOW and WHY you do it.
    I think this part needs to be highlighted. MBTI, to a degree, is the study of how the mind works and responds to given stimuli. Even if I granted the assumption that the 16 MBTI types are the only true types, (or, that subtypes do not present a large enough distinction from the standard 16 to be worth being noted) it would be fallacious to assume that all types are "the same." This is because that whilst they may respond to similar situations in a similar manner, each person of a individual type does not face the same situations and circumstances as everyone else of their type.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Leave it to an NF to be offended enough about stereotyping on a typology website to post about it.
    Hey, hey, hey...ENFP

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Leave it to an INFJ to disassociate themselves from those annoying, happy ENFP hippies. Life sucks and they have much more fun than they should.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Leave it to an INFJ to disassociate themselves from those annoying, happy ENFP hippies. Life sucks and they have much more fun than they should.
    I'll take that

Although not all ENFPs are "happy." Or "annoying."

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

You are definitely right about the limits of stereotyping. I voted INFP as the typcially worst fit in the military, but not because I assume they are cuddly and sweet. It has more to do with how their thinking is structured compared to the requirements of the military. There are individual differences and the likelihood that MBTI doesn't map that well to reality in the first place.

I've thought about this issue of stereotyping and have to actually wonder how people could discuss MBTI free of stereotypes since it is basically constructed on observing and categorizing behaviors. Studying and discussing Jung's theories is a different thing altogether. I would much prefer to discuss MBTI in less stereotypical ways, but am actually not certain how. It's almost like a game that is played when you accept the premises of the system. That seems to be how it is realized. It is an interesting question for sure.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    EN?P
    Enneagram

Well all the INTPs are holed up in their rooms wishing they could FEEL as they complete their doomsday devices!

Did... did I do it right?