• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Stop Stereotyping NFs! Srysly.

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
stereotype:

A generalization, usually exaggerated or oversimplified and often offensive, that is used to describe or distinguish a group.

Excuses, excuses, excuses.
This thread is choking on excuses.

MrME

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Stop the cruelty to NFs, Internet! STOP!

:cry:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
stereotype:

A generalization, usually exaggerated or oversimplified and often offensive, that is used to describe or distinguish a group.

Excuses, excuses, excuses.
This thread is choking on excuses.

:huh:

Does that mean you're okay with it, or not okay with it? It looks like all you did was define it. We know what it means, we're asking your opinion.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Listen, I got the shits in the military thread when someone started chiming with the inferior Te of INFP line.
That's not a real reason...not that I disagree with INFP's being the worst fit in the military. Last time I checked, you obey orders in the military, not philosophise about obeying orders.
I didn't want to read some half baked theory, especially when there were voices of experience with REAL reasons why it wouldn't work.
It was the reasoning I objected to, not the premise.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Listen, I got the shits in the military thread when someone started chiming with the inferior Te of INFP line.
That's not a real reason...not that I disagree with INFP's being the worst fit in the military. Last time I checked, you obey orders in the military, not philosophise about obeying orders.
I didn't want to read some half baked theory, especially when there were voices of experience with REAL reasons why it wouldn't work.
It was the reasoning I objected to, not the premise.

If you found that thread objectionable you should try reading BW's anti-INFP threads.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you found that thread objectionable you should try reading BW's anti-INFP threads.
I have. It didn't quite compute for him that I could be a scientist and INFP. I should be out hugging trees instead.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am a stereotypical NF and proud. :smile: I'm a tree hugging:hug:, emo:cry:,
political activist :steam: who has a strong aversion to the military ;). I believe in doing what I love and that relationship is equally as important as intellect :wubbie:

However, yeah, I agree it gets annoying when people assume that because I'm an INFP I'm meek and mild, because I'm clearly not, especially when I feel strongly about something.

I'm also not an underachiever, I'm quite intelligent, and I though I prefer the world of the mind, I am capable of holding down a "working class" job. :hi:

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Link?

I am a stereotypical NF and proud. :smile: I'm a tree hugging:hug:, emo:cry:,
political activist :steam: who has a strong aversion to the military ;). I believe in doing what I love and that relationship is equally as important as intellect :wubbie:

However, yeah, I agree it gets annoying when people assume that because I'm an INFP I'm meek and mild, because I'm clearly not, especially when I feel strongly about something.

I'm also not an underachiever, I'm quite intelligent, and I though I prefer the world of the mind, I am capable of holding down a "working class" job. :hi:

Was there ever a stereotype claiming that NFs are not intelligent? From what I've gathered, introverts of any kind are generally smarter than other types, but smarter could really mean anything here, but I'd take it to mean 'more able to focus on things'. You'd never think that an easily distracted little extroverted child would fit the definition of smart, would ya?

What about the cute stereotype for NFs? Can that one be used, or are you all hideous trolls? :laugh:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Link?

Was there ever a stereotype claiming that NFs are not intelligent? From what I've gathered, introverts of any kind are generally smarter than other types, but smarter could really mean anything here, but I'd take it to mean 'more able to focus on things'. You'd never think that an easily distracted little extroverted child would fit the definition of smart, would ya?

What about the cute stereotype for NFs? Can that one be used, or are you all hideous trolls? :laugh:

There's a stereotype about INFPs, specifically, being kinda spacey underachievers. That's all I meant.

I'm fairly cute :banana2:. In fact, cute is probably a good word to describe me, because I'm not a striking beauty or anything. But srsly...what does MBTI have to do with physical appearance?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm fairly cute :banana2:. In fact, cute is probably a good word to describe me, because I'm not a striking beauty or anything. But srsly...what does MBTI have to do with physical appearance?

Ask the people who do V.I. in Socionics. I think it was their idea, and people just carried it over. :doh:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've thought about this issue of stereotyping and have to actually wonder how people could discuss MBTI free of stereotypes since it is basically constructed on observing and categorizing behaviors. Studying and discussing Jung's theories is a different thing altogether. I would much prefer to discuss MBTI in less stereotypical ways, but am actually not certain how. It's almost like a game that is played when you accept the premises of the system. That seems to be how it is realized. It is an interesting question for sure.

Yes, I think all of this true.

I think mbti by its very nature is a system of stereotypes. I mean, the fact that you are putting the entire human population into 16 categories is going to result in stereotyping - how could it not?

I think ultimately mbti is a system of generalizations, and I choose 'infj' for myself as the most logical 'summary' of who I am. But to be perfectly frank, there is much behind infj type descriptions that I don't really relate to, and I relate to many other types in some ways moreso than I relate to what infj's are 'supposed' to be like.

But yeah..as long as people take it in stride, as a system of 'trends' -- i.e. which trend are you most like? -- than there is some validity to it. All INFJ's, in general, may approach a situation a certain way, or mentally process an event or perceive/prioritize certain aspects over another. But when you try to say all will approach in the *exact* same way, that's where it becomes inaccurate. But like toonia says, to make the system 'valid'/practical, one almost has to stereotype.

I agree 100% though that when people get too bogged down in it, and try to make all people of one type the same, down to the very details, then it becomes ridiculous. Obviously the details will differ amongst those of the same type, as will the behaviors -- as we are also a product of our experiences, our culture, our upbringing, as well as our individual value systems. Not to mention defense mechanisms, other psychological quirks, etc. Mbti is just one of many possible ways of categorizing personality.

Cachao

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Haha, this thread is almost as amusing as it is an epic failure.

It's an internet forum, folks. I might get upset if someone stereotypes me to my face. On an internet forum where [idiots exist and] people kid around and are trying to figure out how types generally think? No.

It seems like some of the NFPs have this inner desire to prove that they can be "bad to the bone" (sorry if I'm being captain obvious here). Oh wait, I just stereotyped you.

I prefer to be boiled in extra-virgin olive oil, thanks.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How long did it take you to think that wittism up?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ Probably about as long as it would have taken you to look up "witticism" in an online dictionary.