• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Where to find INFPs

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In another thread, it was asked where one could come across INFPs. So, besides the internet, where are these romantic yet elusive creatures hiding?

I went through some threads on INFPgc and one here and came up with some answers. Posters mentioned specific places where they could be found somewhat frequently, or suggestions of where to find other INFPs.

In total, there were answers from only approx. 45 individuals, and a lot of it is predictable, but I thought it would give an idea of where INFPs are likely to be found. There's definitely patterns of books, art, music, causes, and quiet places to reflect.

Answers:

14 Library
11 Bookstores
10 Coffee Shops/Cafes
9 Walking Alone (observing things like flowers & buildings, when its raining)
8 Parks (alone on bench, with a book, people watching, cloudy days when no one is out)
8 Concerts/Gigs (esp alone)
8 Home (alone with blinds down, hiding in room alone playing music, alone reading, etc)

7 School/Class (esp. art, philosophy, psychology, religion, language, literature)
6 Discussion Groups or Seminars (ie. books, philosophy, politics)
6 Parties (people watching, being reserved, enjoying music, or dancing)

5 Places For People Watching
5 Museums (esp alone, and esp art)

4 Volunteering
4 Grocery Store/Market
4 Record Store
4 Art Exhibitions
4 Spiritual Groups/Centers/ Church

3 Playing Sports / Physical Activity (esp rock climbing)
3 Nature / Outdoors (vague)
3 College Marching Band / Orchestra / Choir
3 Work
3 Activist Groups (ie. environmentalism)
3 Yoga Class
3 Swimming (esp. somewhere “not crowded)
3 Restaurants (esp locally owned, not trendy chain)
3 Health & Organic Food Stores
3 Movies
3 Gym
3 Where Other People Are Not Around (vague)

2 Small Dive Bars/Clubs/Pubs (esp. with music)
2 Renaissance Fair / Sca Tavern
2 Playing Music (especially guitar, in a quiet place alone - vague)
2 Gardens
2 Downtown / City Areas
2 Danceclub / Bar with Friend
2 Anime Conventions/Clubs
2 Walking Dog
2 The Beach
2 Indie Films
2 Farmer’s Markets
2 Dance Lessons (esp swing dancing)

1 mention of each: Vocal / Singing Lessons, Traveling, Poetry Readings, Plays / Musicals, Playing With Their Band, Nanowrimo Write-Ins, Meditating, Lake, Jogging, Hiking , Furniture Stores/ Design Exhibitions, Friend’s House, Festivals, and Camping.

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I'm right here! On the computer in my dad's apartment! :D

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
OA, thanks for taking the time to compile this list. I was hoping to incite some interesting ENFJ feedback, given how riled up some of them got about us INFP's over in the ENFJ+INFP thread. However, that hasn't happened yet. I apologize if you wrote this in all seriousness and my comment seemed flirty and unserious. Perhaps some ENFJ's will justify my intentions yet!

MoneyJungle

MBTI Type
INFP
The ones that jumped out at me were at the park, walking and at the library, but maybe I'm not an INFP so much as a cheap bastard.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Right, time to visit a library! :D

This is such a popular destination that in one thread INFPs were inventing scenarios of how they could meet someone in a library. "You both reach for the same book at the same time, brush hands, etc." :D

OA, thanks for taking the time to compile this list. I was hoping to incite some interesting ENFJ feedback, given how riled up some of them got about us INFP's over in the ENFJ+INFP thread. However, that hasn't happened yet. I apologize if you wrote this in all seriousness and my comment seemed flirty and unserious. Perhaps some ENFJ's will justify my intentions yet!

No need to apologize. The list is a bit funny anyway....cements some stereotypes, but I also think it explains why we can be hard to track down for others.

Oh yeah, and nearly all of those places could have "with a book" added to the end. Some posters were like "in the park with a book, in the cafe with a book, by a lake with a book". So many others were doing everything alone...."At concerts, alone. Walking in nature, alone. Going to museums, alone." :D

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
This is such a popular destination that in one thread INFPs were inventing scenarios of how they could meet someone in a library. "You both reach for the same book at the same time, brush hands, etc." :D

No need to apologize. The list is a bit funny anyway....cements some stereotypes, but I also think it explains why we can be hard to track down for others.

Oh yeah, and nearly all of those places could have "with a book" added to the end. Some posters were like "in the park with a book, in the cafe with a book, by a lake with a book". So many others were doing everything alone...."At concerts, alone. Walking in nature, alone. Going to museums, alone." :D

Yes, I remember reading these things while they were developing on the other forum. Remind me, were there any significant differences between the where to find male infps and where to find female infps threads over there? I don't seem to remember any...

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
I have added this new data to my stalkINFP.txt file. OrangeAppled, you seem very much like an INTP, do you like statistics?

Bet you can also find them at cultural events and craft faires.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Oh, here's an uber-stereotypical statement from an INFP, prep yourselves:

"I don't need to go to the library because I already own so many of those books at home! But I'll go anyways." Like that?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I remember reading these things while they were developing on the other forum. Remind me, were there any significant differences between the where to find male infps and where to find female infps threads over there? I don't seem to remember any...

I didn't notice any difference at all based on gender. For instance, swing dancing lessons got a mention by both a man & a woman.

The consistency overall was amusing, which is why I made the list. Even the places only mentioned by 1 poster are within the same range of interests.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have added this new data to my stalkINFP.txt file. OrangeAppled, you seem very much like an INTP, do you like statistics?

Bet you can also find them at cultural events and craft faires.

I like statistics in a grander scheme, and to illustrate points. For instance, I found these amusing for one, and I have an agenda to get people looking for INFPs so we can improve our sad little love lives :D

There is "festivals" on there, which I imagine meant something like local fairs and cultural events.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Did you like my stereotypical INFP line? I was pretty proud of that one. 'Looks behind himself at his loads of bookshelves.' Of course, I have NO idea where I got the inspiration for that one for...

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ haha, yes :)

I find myself at libraries again only because I'm too broke to buy books right now. But you could find me at the bookstore before ;).

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Speaking of reading, do you guys take notes when you read? I have this elaborate note taking system to help me quickly recall a point or idea in this or that book. I plan to get a digital voice recorder to speak the notes because I like to kick back and relax when I read and it sucks having to get up to type them.

I am talking about non-fiction of course.

SurlyAdam

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I went through some threads on INFPgc and one here and came up with some answers.

Clever... Very clever...

I think INFPs like environments where they're able to be observant and notice what's around them without being too distracted by interactions with others.

OrangeAppled, you seem very much like an INTP, do you like statistics?

OrangeAppled, you do strike me as an INTP with healthy Fi or an INFP with developed Ti. More like an INTP than an INFP though.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I tend to read and then re-read my books. I think I've read the Ashtavakra Gita like 5 times now... I'm like always plotting which books I'm going to re-read next. I think I have about 6-8 pulled out now as contenders for the next wave of re-read books...Of course, if our weather got better I'd could read less and go drive up Mt. Evans [~14,250 ft], and then I could tell people to look for INFPs on the tops of mountains. Of course, I'd still be alone, and my books would only be sitting in my car BUT I still would have *thought* of carrying my book to the top with me...

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I thought INFP's had Te not Ti, FiNeSiTe right?

OA: You've always seemed very INFP to me, but I guess an INTP could have many of those similarities too. Course, whether one ie Fi dom or not should be very clear to oneself, especially if your wondering about INFP or INTP.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
In regards to all the INFP's who mentioned doing things alone, if other people [and especially other NF's] apparently like us so much, why don't we get invited to stuff with other people more often??? Other than, you know, apparently we don't answer our phones, don't call back for a while, don't commit, waffle and be indecisive, and whatever else I'm not thinking of right now...

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Speaking of reading, do you guys take notes when you read? I have this elaborate note taking system to help me quickly recall a point or idea in this or that book. I plan to get a digital voice recorder to speak the notes because I like to kick back and relax when I read and it sucks having to get up to type them.

I am talking about non-fiction of course.

I like to be absorbed in the book & note-taking might "distract" me, but I also prefer fiction. However, on occasions when I come across something I love, I can regret not making a physical note of it somewhere when I want it later. Especially since my memory is more "the gist" kind than exact quotes.
:nerd:

OrangeAppled, you do strike me as an INTP with healthy Fi or an INFP with developed Ti. More like an INTP than an INFP though.

I often test INTP, more so than INFP, but after much self-analysis and taking into account my swirling inner emotions & staunch idealism, I realized I am INFP. The overall profile and functions fit me much better. INTP always felt "wrong". I admit, I cried the first time I took the test and got INTP :blushing: