• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] NFP I or E How do you determine the difference?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hi everyone,

I Have been trying really hard to find my type and i have determined I at least have NFP. Been looking over Interactions styles and some descriptions in the "intro to sixteen types"/sixteen personality types.

Just trying to narrow down between ENFP and INFP.
Apparently there is alot of confusion involving E or I when it comes to NFP.

I'm looking at BtS and GtG for INFP and ENFP.
Came across in the book here "For example, a Get-Things-Going co-worker drops hints to be included in meetings. This negative side of a Behind-The-Scenes style backfires because others perceive it as manipulative."

Then to the side there's a chart that states for GtG.
" Core drive: To involve and be involved
To move things forward.

Stressors:
Not being a part of what's going on.
Feel unliked or not accepted. *this stood out*

When stressed:
Feel Scattered and panicky
Are overly expressive
Use selective avoidance.

Do notice a tendency to take on a BtSness if you will i'm feeling
"not a part of what's going on or feeling unliked/accepted."
Worked on this cause i realized I don't like it when my mother does it too me *seems manipulative* so I wanted to work on it.

Well I notice I have been having the most hardest time with type.
Also been thinking alot about E versus I and what they mean.
When i look at the two It seems according to descriptions that i have found are pointing me towards E.
"Prefer bright colors, loud music, and excitement
Need a lot going on in the outer world
Prefer quicker, less accurate approach *this has been my problem*
Talk more and tend to take action with less reflection. * see that here with my jumping to pick a type.*

Big thing that stands out is whenever i'm needing to have motivation, it definitely helps to have external approval that i can/don't give up/ just keep trying etc. I would kinda seek it in a quiet way but never in obnoxious way.
It really was and is hard to internally motivate myself. Always have to have some external circumstance that moves me to movement or action.

I also remember before some stuff I would go out of my way to be out and about and when i'd get home I wouldn't feel drained. Actually rather pumped.
I got back from a dance party recently and i was so happy/ peppy you name it. I was sharing my experience with my mom how I danced this dance, then this one. I even sang to demonstrate :wubbie: *i was not intoxicated ;)*

Thing is lately since "some life events" I went inside abit and been under some stress/sadness. Well I just remember thinking after the "dance" how It's been such along time since i felt that good from a get together since HS.
I have been trying to get back to that zone.

But
I'm also hugely Introverted too.
I actually like my alone time.
Really that's just increased since these "events".

Well I hope this is in the right area for my question since i mention Interaction styles.

Thanks all.
NF hug :hug: :D.

G

Glycerine

Do you feel like you come alive when you have solitude or when you are with people?
Winona Ryder/Johnny Depp (INFP) vs. Will Smith/Robin Williams (ENFP)

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you feel like you come alive when you have solitude or when you are with people?
Winona Ryder/Johnny Depp (INFP) vs. Will Smith/Robin Williams (ENFP)

Hmmm...When i think about how i felt when i came back from the dance
I felt so much more alive then being alone makes me feel. Like I got back in touch with apart of myself that has been neglected and I felt so good after that when i got home. I was not drained...actually pretty damn peppy and talkative. I felt revived like when the surgeons on the tv shows save someone's life when they have flatlined. That "dance" brought me back to "me".

Though being alone is nice too. But I do notice all my cares float away and I feel free/childlike when i'm with my friends just dancing/joking around. I miss that innocence and playfulness :hug:.

Thank you IDK123;712345

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry to lose ya, Simpson.

G

Glycerine

Hmmm...When i think about how i felt when i came back from the dance
I felt so much more alive then being alone makes me feel. Like I got back in touch with apart of myself that has been neglected and I felt so good after that when i got home. I was not drained...actually pretty damn peppy and talkative. I felt revived like when the surgeons on the save someone's life when they have flatlined. That "dance" brought me back to "me".

Though being alone is nice too. But I do notice all my cares float away and I feel free/childlike when i'm with my friends just dancing/joking around. I miss that innocence and playfulness :hug:.

Thank you IDK123;712345

Sounds more ENFP. ENFPs are supposedly one of the most introverted extroverts... they like time alone to process their thoughts. INFPs are generally very private individuals and they tend to get drained by a lot of social interaction, IME.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
huh? Simpson heh.

Oh I can't hold back you SP's rule and of course the "jeffster".
Come here....Hug time.
SP-NF Hug :hug: :D :hug: *glomps jeffster who is studying ever so diligently ;). I know what your studying hehe :devil:.*

I loved my time on the SP side I'm actually feeling kinda sad cause
aw shucks...I love you guys xD. I can stop by anytime right? :cry:.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds more ENFP. ENFPs are supposedly one of the most introverted extroverts... they like time alone to process their thoughts. INFPs are generally very private individuals and they tend to get drained by a lot of social interaction, IME.

Seems to make sense. *contemplating throwing an E in*
I can see being Ne dominant too which i think has been my downfall on this forum(life decision making too) with picking a type. I can see how i developed Fi in my teens and still am harnessing it. From what i read on Fi exercises it just doesn't seem dominant. Ne i could see that. Even in careers I have looked at so many careers *sighs to self* i'm learning to "just pick one gosh darn you" hehe.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
5 emoticon sig = ENFP.

Posted something here the other day about IvE that may be relevant. But yeah, sig says ENFP.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
5 emoticon sig = ENFP.

Posted something here the other day about IvE that may be relevant. But yeah, sig says ENFP.

xD I love me some Emoticons indeed. There so fun to insert to get the right idea across.
Hey Trinity, :hi:
Thanks for the link to the post. I found it really insightful and actually clarifying all the more that I definitely Prefer Extraversion.

The only time i would "ever" feel drained is if this person is really negative/cynical/bitter/resentful to the point where everytime you see said person they have to harp on it to death heh. I just feel that is the only time it's overwhelming and this was only after so many years and after a very close death in the family which really made me go in my shell which was out of character for me.

:hug:

sincerely,
Dots.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Hey Duchess, more than E v I the cognitive functions test should be your litmus test.

Are you Ne/Fi or Fi/Ne? Someone who is Fi primary but has a lot of Ne is a very different creature from someone who is Ne primary but has a lot of Fi.

Umm...maybe Udog or Wonkavision or another INFP well versed in these things can explain better. :D

Also, reading the overall type descriptions helps a lot. I know when just going by descriptions, ENFP resonates with me but not so much INFP or ENFJ. The core drivers are different which makes for different personality templates.

Unique

I have to admit I was somewhat surprised when you changed your type to a Thinking type before

This really isn't that hard but if it helps INFPs are often the ones who think they are every type and have the most trouble figuring it out

You have always seemed very NF to me though

BTW I have an INFP friend who feels like she doesn't fit in and has always tried to be more 'in the moment' and 'extraverted' its cute how she tries really :p

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have to admit I was somewhat surprised when you changed your type to a Thinking type before

This really isn't that hard but if it helps INFPs are often the ones who think they are every type and have the most trouble figuring it out

You have always seemed very NF to me though

BTW I have an INFP friend who feels like she doesn't fit in and has always tried to be more 'in the moment' and 'extraverted' its cute how she tries really :p

XDD cute
Thanks Unique
Yeah the T thing just didn't work for me though lately I've harnessed T and i kinda mixed it up.
I have realized NF pumps through every possible corner of my body haha.

On the whole E versus I scale I'd say I've grown alittle more balanced like
55 E 45 I or 60 e, 40 I second one "probably" more like it ;) either way "I" is pretty big.

You know I would say I'm infp but what's getting me is how lately after alot of stuff happened that would make i would think anyone hide there shell more.

Didn't it say somewhere that whatever your dominant is, it's usually what is your downfall. That's what i thinking this morning and I just realized my Fi is most likely used in the service of Ne. I don't think i can shut Ne off to be honest. I have developed some much needed judgement though. Thankfully to my mother's sanity and mine. *been driving her nuts*

Like i can see a love - hate relationship with Ne too much for it to be supporting heh. Like hears my thought process with trying to pick a career..drives me nuts as everyone else nuts :doh:.

"hmm....researched this one seems good. Let me check this one.....nah.....what about this one." it was so bad I had to get a career counselor can you believe it? even then I just have to say " oh wth" I'm just going to pick one and run with it. *getting frustrated myself heh*

I do think infp's can get pretty wild Ne moments too but this is totally natural for me and it's actually like a release when i can try something new, deal with a new possibility or could this be? or what about this?

I'm going to keep looking over the descriptions on the sites too like CzeCze mentioned above and checking in with my "books" *where's the nerd icon when you need it. laughs and slaps leg xD* to see if it still keeps resonating with me.

Overall it fits and it makes sense with hopping around this board and other major life decisions involving "hopping" and never settling.

Even looking at the interaction style of GtG and when they slide up one on the chart thing. It just works so please hehe don't give me anymore ideas *passes out from Ne overload*. It's pleasure bringing but yet a curse in it's self.
Unique and Cze Cze :hug:

Hey unique I can still go chill with the SP's right?...Anytime? :wubbie: you guys rock.
If i could make the "wubbie" just huge I could show how much SP's rule...maybe. I think there too cool to be defined by a "wubbie" heh.

Unique

Yeah well I'm not really feeling very loved on this forum anymore so you're welcome to

Rejected in real life for being "lazy" and rejected on a forum for being "stupid" and nobody cares to even get to know us :(

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah well I'm not really feeling very loved on this forum anymore so you're welcome to

Rejected in real life for being "lazy" and rejected on a forum for being "stupid" and nobody cares to even get to know us :(

:cry: awwe thank you. I definitely will be a visitor and pop in to say :hi: SP's.
I think i know what your refering to with the topic of " how an N communicates to an F" one?

SP's are such amazing people, I definitely thing we should give them a chance ^^D. Missing out on alot if you don't have a sweet SP around *sighs in admiration*

If so I think we all should get along no more fighting xDD.
But seriously I can understand where both you were coming from
The world needs Ne and Se

Ne for the seeking abstract ideas that the Se can bring to life and they too also come up with some shweet ideas ;). I think they balance each other in a way Ne and Se heh. Se the more grounded idea generater and Ne the more off the wall and creative idea generater.

Like I'm going to post some stuff from the "introduction to personality type code by Linda V Berens and Dario Nardi.
" when Ne is a preferred function:
* Much reading "between the lines" occurs.
* Potential posibilities and meanings are "revealed" and must be explored.
* you feel fully engaged in emerging new approaches to doing things and are energized by discovering other perspectives in an ever shifting succession of ideas or insights triggered by the particular situation, much like brainstorming.
* you frequently experience a flight of ideas that brings relevant pieces of information from one context to another.
* "what is" is not seen for what it is but for it's relationship to other things.
* everything is perceived in a context of a web of relationships. Nothing stands alone or is disconnected.

Se: :hug:
* you fully experience the immediate context to the point of "oneness" with whatever is going on.
* you get energized when very in touch with the tangible environment and able to express yourself physically.
* "what is" is appreciated for what it is and nothing beyond that.
* you have very keen senses, intensifying rich sensory details and liking lots of stimulation and variety in activity.
* you focus on facts and ask lots of questions when you're not getting a clear picture.
* you pay attention and respond quickly to the rapidly shifting information in a random and constantly changing scene, attending to what is most relevant at the time and ignoring the rest.

Se:
- Experiencing
- Doing
- noticing opportunities for action
- adapting and varying
- present
" This is what is" or "what's Next"

Ne:
- Inferring
- Hypothesizing
- Seeing possibilities
- Wondering and brainstorming
- Emergent

" This is what might be" or
" It could be this or this or this or..." xDD

Se: Experiencing, noticing, and acting on the physical world; scanning for visible reactions and relevant data.

Ne: Interpreting situations and relationships, picking up threads of meaning, and being drawn to change what is for what could be.

Unique

:cry: awwe thank you. I definitely will be a visitor and pop in to say :hi: SP's.
I think i know what your refering to with the topic of " how an N communicates to an F" one?

SP's are such amazing people, I definitely thing we should give them a chance ^^D. Missing out on alot if you don't have a sweet SP around *sighs in admiration*

If so I think we all should get along no more fighting xDD.
But seriously I can understand where both you were coming from
The world needs Ne and Se

Ne for the seeking abstract ideas that the Se can bring to life and they too also come up with some shweet ideas ;). I think they balance each other in a way Ne and Se heh. Se the more grounded idea generater and Ne the more off the wall and creative idea generater.

Like I'm going to post some stuff from the "introduction to personality type code by Linda V Berens and Dario Nardi.
" when Ne is a preferred function:
* Much reading "between the lines" occurs.
* Potential posibilities and meanings are "revealed" and must be explored.
* you feel fully engaged in emerging new approaches to doing things and are energized by discovering other perspectives in an ever shifting succession of ideas or insights triggered by the particular situation, much like brainstorming.
* you frequently experience a flight of ideas that brings relevant pieces of information from one context to another.
* "what is" is not seen for what it is but for it's relationship to other things.
* everything is perceived in a context of a web of relationships. Nothing stands alone or is disconnected.

Se: :hug:
* you fully experience the immediate context to the point of "oneness" with whatever is going on.
* you get energized when very in touch with the tangible environment and able to express yourself physically.
* "what is" is appreciated for what it is and nothing beyond that.
* you have very keen senses, intensifying rich sensory details and liking lots of stimulation and variety in activity.
* you focus on facts and ask lots of questions when you're not getting a clear picture.
* you pay attention and respond quickly to the rapidly shifting information in a random and constantly changing scene, attending to what is most relevant at the time and ignoring the rest.

Se:
- Experiencing
- Doing
- noticing opportunities for action
- adapting and varying
- present
" This is what is" or "what's Next"

Ne:
- Inferring
- Hypothesizing
- Seeing possibilities
- Wondering and brainstorming
- Emergent

" This is what might be" or
" It could be this or this or this or..." xDD

Se: Experiencing, noticing, and acting on the physical world; scanning for visible reactions and relevant data.

Ne: Interpreting situations and relationships, picking up threads of meaning, and being drawn to change what is for what could be.

Not what I was referring to no... I reported and had removed the post that upset me :unsure:

Though now that you brought it up, in that thread I was simply frustrated by a lot of the NFs that had disbelief that they could communicate with SPs when in person and with online NFs that don't have a bias the communication is always lovely :) :hug:

I'd like to mention/tribute Blackcat here for being so unbias and yeah, giving me a chance rather than belittling me for being an S and I know you don't have a bias :D

Intelligent and good people come from both S and N and I don't mind saying I've met some real nasty Ns but I'd never put them all in a box

As for me saying that you don't need N to operate I didn't mean for it to sound offensive I simply meant that S is used a lot more in the world, I even said how Ns are incredibly creative and useful but apparently I was just being "contradicting"

Also as per usual we seemed to just get thrown into a box with the SJs with no regard to our huge temperament differences

Unique

Oh BTW Dots an ENFP friend of mine thought he was ESTP for a while till I kept saying... surely you can't be and he eventually retook the test and was like... ok wow now THIS fits

When he told his dad (who knows about MBTI) that he was an ENFP his dad said "Well that explains a lot" LOL :D

I think his dad is INTJ

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not what I was referring to no... I reported and had removed the post that upset me :unsure:

Though now that you brought it up, in that thread I was simply frustrated by a lot of the NFs that had disbelief that they could communicate with SPs when in person and with online NFs that don't have a bias the communication is always lovely :) :hug:

I'd like to mention/tribute Blackcat here for being so unbias and yeah, giving me a chance rather than belittling me for being an S and I know you don't have a bias :D

Intelligent and good people come from both S and N and I don't mind saying I've met some real nasty Ns but I'd never put them all in a box

As for me saying that you don't need N to operate I didn't mean for it to sound offensive I simply meant that S is used a lot more in the world, I even said how Ns are incredibly creative and useful but apparently I was just being "contradicting"

Also as per usual we seemed to just get thrown into a box with the SJs with no regard to our huge temperament differences

oh... I just came across the thread so i just wanted to see if that was so.

ooh interesting I don't see why an NF can't communicate with a SP.
I sure do communicate quite well with a pretty cool SP ;) *Clears throat* and the ease of communication is like water over a rock.

yay!!!! for no Bias :hug: would be way out of character if i had bias....i don't like it much myself. I just love everything and everyone of every type as long as there healthy. Even then i love them but i distance myself for emotional protection.

Right on Unique about the whole never putting someone in a box cause of a few bad encounters with a certain type. I have seen some bad SJ's especially ESFJ's but find a healthy one I'm sure i'd love them to pieces xD No judgement.

hehe I know you weren't trying to sound offensive..your good :yes:.
I can see what you meant by S is used alot more in this world. I'm thinking you meant like in the sense of physical environment, it's all right in are faces. It's tangible, where Ne still useful is more Conceptual which may seem like it's not used as much if you have that S orientation but it's influence is just as powerful. Both together i think can be banggin xDD as long as there healthy :yes:.

Heh and that's a shame about that, cause you have S in your code and getting thrown in with SJ. Definitely some difference on core needs and such.

Funny you mention about your enfp friend and his dad who was familar with mbti telling him that explains it...hehe. That explains alot...that's pretty funny. What did you observe in your friend that you noticed that didn't seem Se and more Ne when you look back on it? Really curious cause i was to see the contrast between the two to further confirm. Thanks Unique.

SP - NF power :D.