User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    infp

As an INFP, I certainly often feel boring, but then if I scrunch up my face with all the effort I can muster and try to be objective, I remember that I do have a good number of hobbies that have interest value, can have good conversations (both serious and bantering) and have more than once had a friend just stop mid-conversation and express something that can be vaguely paraphrased as telling me I am odd/interesting/unique.

However, I think UDog has hit upon the problem. INFPs are unassuming. Unassuming is often boring. Also, some of us tend to have issues interacting in anything other than a one on one setting, so... unless conditions are practically perfect, any potential for being interesting is locked away. Internally, the INFP in a group setting is too busy gasping like a fish to be interesting. Or... at least me. I believe some of the more extroverted types can function better with people, and draw attention through antics and general charisma, and as INFPs, we are keenly aware of the fact that we can't capture interest in such a way- whether or not we'd actually want to. (Afterall, it is contrary to our character to be in the spotlight...)

I think a more interesting question is how would an INFP overcome this while still staying true to his/herself? Have any INFPs found ways to successfully mitigate this? Do any other types have possible solutions?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    Ummm, what does that mean???
    I don't. Appreciate Disney world, that is.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I don't think I'm boring - I have many varied interests, and have done interesting things in my past. I'm actually a bit strange. However, I guess I could seem boring to outsiders because I like to read a lot and I'm a home body. I'm probably boring from the point of view of someone who likes to party all of the time or watch sports, because I'm not into any of that.

I'm not as reserved as some INFPs. Then again, I'm a little "i"...more extraverted than some INFPs. I'm an iNFP.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

It's an interesting question, to me, because I've had people tell me that they will be "too boring" for me to be interested in talking to. It makes me question why they think they are 'boring' and I'm 'not boring'. Does 'not boring' just mean 'extroverted' to some introverts? Actually, I've had extroverts say it, now that I think about it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    It's an interesting question, to me, because I've had people tell me that they will be "too boring" for me to be interested in talking to. It makes me question why they think they are 'boring' and I'm 'not boring'. Does 'not boring' just mean 'extroverted' to some introverts? Actually, I've had extroverts say it, now that I think about it.
    Its defensive in nature. Saying it implies the person has insecurity in their ability to be interesting which then really implies that they are interesting just started to believe they are boring because their life isn't satisfying. Then behave boring, like another mind clutter thought that rolls back the curtain of belief.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

The reality is to be boring wouldn't a person have to cease to exist.

I mean come on, how can any person be BORING!!!.
    If any person was truly boring then why are you alive.

Think of all the micro organisms that find your body sexy, do they think your boring, hellz no. What about the food you eat, I bet that last sandwich you ate is screaming, yaaah, don't eat me your not boring already just get away from that tomato sauce.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    It probably suggests they have made assumptions about you... both about how exciting your life is and the type of stories they'd need to be able to provide to properly entertain you.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    It probably suggests they have made assumptions about you... both about how exciting your life is and the type of stories they'd need to be able to provide to properly entertain you.
    Yeah and that too. the lackluster, its interesting to note how personality switches gears. say from strangers, work, family, friends etc.
    The warming up effect. takes longer for some than others to see the more comfortable person in action.

MBTI
    intp

Maybe it's the closeness of INFP to INTP that's behind this, but two of the most hilarious and fascinating people I know (and i don't know that many ) are INFP dudes. One of those asked me once if he bored me.
    I think what makes them so interesting is that shared traits allow us to understand each other at a high level but then throw the differences into starker relief. How can they be so different after all that? A distorted mirror. I can see how the differences can irritate but not how they bore. It's boring if they clam up and don't allow you to see what they really think and feel. Once you get past that it's cool.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

I know some INTPs and INFPs that are boring conversationalists and others who are some of my favourite people to talk to in the world. With INFPs it usually has to do with how much personal confidence they have, if they're too busy wrestling with their inner demons there's no room for me in the conversation.
    Last edited by A Schnitzel; 07-02-2009 at 02:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    sheesh humans! for realz