• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs, do you believe in astrology?

NFs, do you believe in astrology?

• Total voters

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
NFs, what is your opinion of astrology?

I find astrology pretty interesting. Though I am skeptical of is accuracy like other NTs, it is nevertheless a system that classifies personality.

SpottingTrains

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Astrology...

Not really well versed on the subject. Is this like Horoscope type of stuff...?

Saffronsocks

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
4w5
It's nowhere near as rational, that's for sure...

It doesn't stop me from wondering what everyone's sign is, though, and buying into some of the finer points like ascendants, venuses and moons and things. On some level it's a study that almost every culture has pursued at some point, so wether or not it's actually valid (measurable) it's so ancient (intrinsically human?) that it might have some truth... (and I know I love my own chart -- go Sagittarius rising/Gemini moon/Pisces sun! = trinity of Mutable signs, woo!)

I have a friend who's a lot more into it than I am, and she can tell you of whole dimensions of information that trained astrologers are supposed to keep in mind while drawing charts and things. Nodes and retrogrades and aspects and well my mind just kinda goes *spuh* at that point.

Buddhists use it too! :D

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
I believe in astrology. I believe there is some validity to it anyways. It's too complex and dynamic a personality system to make any concrete practical use of though. It can be a pretty good tool for understanding your friends though, which can be nice.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't believe in astrology, but am familiar with how complex a system it is. I get uneasy when people start asking about my sign and want to make me a chart. It just seems like a lot of presumptions they will form about me that are arbitrary in nature and will likely mess up future attempts at communication.

SpottingTrains

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Yeah, I don't believe in it, but to be fair I haven't really investigated it.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
I don't really believe in it as such, but I do think that a birth chart is an interesting place to start talking about personality and stuff. A lot of it won't fit, and a lot of it will, and you can talk about all of these things. I think it's a neat way to explore, but I wouldn't wed myself to any conclusions.

GinKuusouka

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I believe in astrology. However, I also take it with a grain of salt. It is more like a winding road that one can take with signs posted. "Turn here." "Merge left." "Roadblock up ahead." "Intersection ---." "Fork up ahead." Stuff like that. The future, as far as I believe, is not written in stone until we're living it. Regardless of whether we try to find a way to see it or not.

EDIT: As for birth charts, I have made them before. Mostly for fun. A bit to understanding them is to also understand the energies that are being talked about. At least, from what I've read.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Of course. I think it's an amazing and beautiful subject. Anything dealing with transcendence or spirituality is my center.
I don't think it can be something whether you believe in it or not, but whether you follow it or not. It's an art. It's beautiful.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
What is the difference between following and believing? Following is just interest?

When I think of believing I think of deciding whether or not it's real to me. When I think of following, I think of agreeing with the teachings of. I guess it's reasonable not to believe in it, now that I think of it, but I do, and I certainly do follow it.

I also get frustrated with hard-core Christians who say it's a bunch of gibberish. I don't think they have, or anybody, has the liberty to judge it either way without knowledge of it.

SpottingTrains

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
So would you agree that following is more of an appreciation of a system? Not an appreciation for it's truth per se but more of an appreciation for the intricacies and nuances that are held within it?

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My whimsical side is drawn to astrology, and I do like it as a set of personality archetypes. That's as far as it goes, though. I've known plenty of people born under the same sign, and I don't see any great similarities between them. There's also something about the idea of our fates being written in the stars that rings false with me. Part of it is that I don't believe in fate in the first place; fate is just the feeling we get when we look back and everything seems to have fallen into place or when we look to the future with expectation but no guarantee.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
So would you agree that following is more of an appreciation of a system? Not an appreciation for it's truth per se but more of an appreciation for the intricacies and nuances that are held within it?

Yes. I will have to agree with you, as there really isn't any concrete proof that says 'Astrology is Fact'. But that's obvious. But I do think you are right..and that it's not so much that followers believe in it to be right, but people like what it represents, and that they like the idea of it.

SpottingTrains

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Cool, I find myself appreciating a lot of things in that manner, the ideas created by a system rather than the truth behind. Though as an addendum I do like to distinguish between what is truthful and that which is not.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Can you make chicken salad out of chicken shit? ;)

Heck no.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I used to believe in it, but not anymore. I definately don't have the personality of an avergage Libra. I'm more of a Scorpio or a Leo. Used to think I had the personality of a Libra, but I got to know myself better now.