• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Why does everyone think I'm sick?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, if you're perfectly satisfied with your own behavior and will make no modifications, then why the thread?
You wanted to know why people view you a certain way, and it has been explained. You can either accept that people will continue to view you that way, or you can make changes in your style.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
ok here's how I look at it, if its info i have on my facebook or somewhere else, then ok Iput it their if it's something I know I didn't post then, it's a problem. People are so dumb at times, you put info on a social networking site, and you don't expect people to find out? go castrate yourself/rip out your uterus please, we don't need your offspring.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
You want to be close to and be liked by the people that you meet, as we all do. You feel that intimacy in your life is lacking and that being able to share your thoughts openly with someone receiving them well is important.

Unfortunately you are attempting to speed this process up much more quickly than the average person feels comfortable. Your need for closeness is so great that you are sharing thoughts that make people feel very uncomfortable at that stage of your acquaintance. Your attempts at closeness are actually driving people away from you. You are provoking people and talking about controversial subjects because a negative reaction is better for you than no reaction at all.

This issue with people thinking you are stalking you is only a symptom of a bigger issue, which is your need for connection with someone. Possible remedies for your situation include:

1) Try to look outward in your real world. Practice talking to other people and thinking how you can make them the most comfortable and happy. Volunteer with an organization (it will make you feel good, you will be accomplishing something important and you will meet people).

2) Think less about your feelings and more about ways to build your sense of who you are. If you feel comfortable in your own skin, other people's reactions will matter less and they will also find you interesting. When you have less need to provoke, they will be able to relate to you. (More on building confidence later).

3) Find some strong adults in your life who you can become emotionally attached to. The problem with other teenagers and with online people is that they are either far away or dealing with their own problems. They will not be there for you no matter what. You cannot look to someone for guidance if you do not have a home base. You need the stability of someone who you can look to for support, unconditional love and guidance. Some places to start, (if you can't look to your parents) are connecting with teachers, becoming part of a religious community, joining a youth organization or a sports league, or finding someone in your extended family that can act as a parent figure for you.

Your brain's first priority is taking care of you emotionally to make a strong attachment to someone, preferably someone who can take a strong lead in guiding you. When this is not there, you will be restless and unsettled, and always looking for something that will fill that void. Hence, the kind of attempts that you have made so far to remedy that.

To deal with the emotional pain of the rejection you feel from not having attachments, your brain will shield you from noticing how other people are reacting to you and where you are not wanted so you will keep stepping into more situations where you will be further rejected. After some time, this can worsen and your body physically and emotionally numbs itself to pain. It becomes very difficult to be able to come to tears about something that isn't working in your life. Until your body actually has that release, it will stay stuck in a cycle of doing the same things that are not working. When things aren't working, you will experience frustration that turns into agression. When the emotions are numbed and people become both tearless and fearless, people begin taking unreasonable risks or start cutting themselves just to be able to feel again.

Alternatively, if you have strong attachments in place, they serve as a root system for you so that you can grow. Your brain can move on with the business of maturation. You have room then to think of other people instead of your own needs, to make long term decisions, to persevere in favour of a long term reward and to control your emotions. You will be more sensitive to those around you which help you stay out of the way of those who will be likely to hurt you.

The people on this forum have a wide variety of worldviews. Within the context of my Christian worldview, God is the ultimate attachment figure who will be there even when you are alone in the world. He will love you unconditionally and give you the peace that will allow you to become what you were meant to be. I think this is worth considering.

You obviously do want to connect with people and I think you have something to offer. You are just going about it in a way that will not get you what you ultimately want.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It isn't sick. In fact, I don't know if this has been a reply already, but did it ever occur to you that rather than being creeped out some people just might be....annoyed? I don't mean to hurt your feelings in any way, but some people just don't want to be friends with everyone they're acquainted with on the Internet. That doesn't mean that they think you're stalking them, it just may mean that they don't have the time, energy, or interest to be extra-social with someone they've casually encountered on-line.

I think that with your E, especially, it's probably a good idea to take the advice of the person that posted above me and hone those friend-making skills IRL. There's nothing wrong with you, but in life in general not everyone is going to like you. On the Internet, some people don't come on-line to make friends, or if they do, it's only with a few people they feel an especially strong identification with.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I once accumulated all my courage and sat next to that cute american girl, who mysteriously appeared in my bar. Then I asked, romantically, after haven drunk like 15 beer: "Your naaame ?"

She replied with "gross" and left the bar.

Some people just dont see you inner values in the face of the candlelight. It's a cruel, cruel world... :D

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
For me it increases the level of intimacy. And I really love intimacy.

I think you might be confused about what intimacy actually is. Intimacy is a SHARED thing. It's much more intimate to wait for someone to open up and share with you willingly than to scour for info about them on the Internet. That isn't real intimacy.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I think you might be confused about what intimacy actually is. Intimacy is a SHARED thing. It's much more intimate to wait for someone to open up and share with you willingly than to scour for info about them on the Internet. That isn't real intimacy.

Ya, but patience can be a cruel enemy

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yep pretty much.

So if what you're doing pushes people away... and you're afraid of rejection... then why are you doing it? Sounds like contradictory thinking to me.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

agreed and i hope you can see that and get that it's not really "them" with an odd reaction...it is the behavior and i say this because you seem to care and want our advice so know that people here are tryin to help you with it and not tryin to pick on you or anything.

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
I think I understand where this is coming from. I became disinterested in my peers when I was in highschool and only had friends on the internet and I would do this. I would read their livejournals and then ask about things that happened during their day because if it's up on the internet surely you want people to see it? Apparently not.

ENFPs are naturally impatient about receiving information but this is what makes us assholes. We need to get over it and learn to respect other peoples' boundaries as much as we cling to our own. Life gets much easier when you learn not to become emotionally invested in every person you meet.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Hommefatal, how old are you?

I can relate, honestly, though. I'm not just saying that, I do a lot of the things you do.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Personally, I'd also keep the information to myself until we're more acquainted. Since they don't know you well enough, they only have their instincts and previous experiences as references. This can lead to misinterpretations, so vigilance about the timing is highly recommended, IMO.

For me it increases the level of intimacy. And I really love intimacy.

My ENFP friends desire the same thing -- they thrive on deep connections. For this reason, they're very willing to open up their own lives to other people. The behavior tends to attract numerous individuals to them and sometimes, they don't consciously acknowledge the influencial power they have.

Become the best person you possibly can and see what happens after. You can't make someone like you, but you can be a good friend when they need one. (This includes valuing their space. Some require more of it than others.) If they respond with interest, then that's the moment where you should make a direct move. :)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't think you're sick. So, therefore not everyone does.

SO THERE. YOUR LOGIC SUXORZ.

;)

heart

heart on fire
I think some of it is a lack of social discretion.

If you want to look up online information on someone, fine.
I do that sometimes, out of curiosity.
But usually only stalkers actually go TELL the person everything they found out.
Such information might give you some ideas on what to talk to them about, but usually you should "reacquire the information legitimately" -- i.e., by talking to them directly and having THEM tell you -- before you start bringing up details in conversation.

So... what sort of reaction do you expect?
It sounds almost like you're trying to instigate a reaction from them...?

+1

Although they should realize how easy it is for people to look up information on them if they've put it out there. But people don't always respond logically in human interactions. In fact most of the time they don't.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
It's easy to stalk "elaur." What would be weird is someone stalking me online and then telling me about it. I figure some people here have looked up stuff on me and know more than they tell me. You just usually don't admit to being stalkery. It does seem a little strange to be that way about someone you are just meeting. Why would you have that level of curiosity about so many people?

Btw, It doesn't increase the level of intimacy when it's one sided. It's only intimate if both people are into it.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ya, but patience can be a cruel enemy

but rushing it isn't going to make it happen any faster...you can't force someone to like you or love you or trust you...no matter how much information you collect

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
This seems like it might be related to intensity and wording, and the randomness of your approach. What you do, who you tell, is slightly important - but your bearing, wording, and manner of approach is how they will take it.

What of the fact that ye're making a first impression upon these people?

For most - not me, I adore it - but most, from what I have seen are put off or unnerved a little bit by deep interaction the first (or few) time ye're talking to them. If they feel ye're blindsiding them and they're not in the mood or somesuch, you can be put on a "weird and avoid" list.

So make it light. Deep content, light mood. If you're just curious about someone and show it.

Just a thought.

I always wonder how much backstory to give for context when I say something like this. Hmm.

hommefatal

Hommefatal, how old are you?

I can relate, honestly, though. I'm not just saying that, I do a lot of the things you do.
15. I am totally immoral, lol. Since some said totally random, it's not actually like that. It's only if I find someone attractive but that occurs quite often