• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] enfp's fact or fiction

CestMoi

MBTI Type
ENFP
I've never (knowingly) met another ENFP in real life, but being and knowing me + research + encountering other ENFPs on this forum, has confidently led me to believe, that ENFPs = Human Fucking Awesomeness^10

ROFLOL! Totally agree. I love myself!

It totally depends on situation for me. Sometimes I'm the most E of E's and sometimes I'm almost shy. I'm also slow to warm up. I mean I usually like most people I meet but I really don't let anybody to see me. I protect myself very much for some reason. So on one hand I'm the most open people on earth and on the other hand, I'm the most secretive of people.

...I'm a strange person. + ENFP.

Hey back at ya! I'm exactly the same way and don't think you're strange at all. Secretive is my middle name and my other ENFP friend who talks way more than me with other people is a pro investigator but even she has to pull tooth and nail to get the details. It takes me a long, long time to share information with people because I have to feel like I can trust them. It's been both good and bad. I've missed out on sharing somewhat but then again, most people don't seem worthy of the real me so...

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Hey back at ya! I'm exactly the same way and don't think you're strange at all. Secretive is my middle name and my other ENFP friend who talks way more than me with other people is a pro investigator but even she has to pull tooth and nail to get the details. It takes me a long, long time to share information with people because I have to feel like I can trust them. It's been both good and bad. I've missed out on sharing somewhat but then again, most people don't seem worthy of the real me so...

Yes, I thought another ENFP might understand what I'm feeling. :)

It's funny when people think they know me because I'm quite open and talk a lot about my family etc. Still they do not know ME and I'm not willing to really open up. I'm very controlling about myself and who I let in. I think I haven't let too many people really in.

I glad I understand myself and know what I am and who I am. ;) Otherwise I would be really lost.

CestMoi

MBTI Type
ENFP
LOL to being lost. I totally hear you on that one! Same here regarding people thinking they can figure me out. I talk a lot but it's in sporadic details and usually only enough to get them talking about something or explain my view into a certain subject. The few really annoying ones who think they've figured me out and then try to push it into my face - don't know that this has ever happened to anyone else - but they are then left with the slam of the door, which I will never open again. Now, I know it's our trait to traipse off into other pursuits but my REAL friends understand this and when we reconnect, it's as if only a few days have gone by. :)

We are a strange breed but cool as hell, IMO. I consider anyone lucky to hang out with us because the smile and laughter factors along with the attention must be intoxicating.

CestMoi

MBTI Type
ENFP
Forgot to mention that the bright, shiny whoo-ha stuff must be quite something to see, as well from a non-ENFP perspective. :)

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
It's funny when people think they know me because I'm quite open and talk a lot about my family etc. Still they do not know ME and I'm not willing to really open up. I'm very controlling about myself and who I let in. I think I haven't let too many people really in.

It's so strange, isn't it!?

LOL to being lost. I totally hear you on that one! Same here regarding people thinking they can figure me out. I talk a lot but it's in sporadic details and usually only enough to get them talking about something or explain my view into a certain subject. The few really annoying ones who think they've figured me out and then try to push it into my face - don't know that this has ever happened to anyone else - but they are then left with the slam of the door, which I will never open again. Now, I know it's our trait to traipse off into other pursuits but my REAL friends understand this and when we reconnect, it's as if only a few days have gone by. :)

We are a strange breed but cool as hell, IMO. I consider anyone lucky to hang out with us because the smile and laughter factors along with the attention must be intoxicating.

Yeah, we rock! (As long as there aren't too many of us compressed into one tiny space - that's just scary.)

And we can turn this into a communal ENFP back-patting session! :D :nice:

I haven't really had anyone try and force-feed me who they think I am (I think I'm a bit too slippery on my actual identity front for most), but I definitely recognise that door-slam reaction. I can go from overly warm to very cool with a person in a moment when something changes. And I'm never in the middle. I'm either completely there or just not there at all.

And YES to the traipsing off and coming back and reconnecting thing. I still consider the people I knew from school 'friends', even though I haven't really spoken to them in years. Time doesn't change things!

Forgot to mention that the bright, shiny whoo-ha stuff must be quite something to see, as well from a non-ENFP perspective. :)

:D:D

Yeah, I know! They must think we're absolutely bonkers. :smile:

CestMoi

MBTI Type
ENFP
And we can turn this into a communal ENFP back-patting session!

I haven't really had anyone try and force-feed me who they think I am (I think I'm a bit too slippery on my actual identity front for most), but I definitely recognise that door-slam reaction. I can go from overly warm to very cool with a person in a moment when something changes. And I'm never in the middle. I'm either completely there or just not there at all.

:static: to the back-patting session. :) I'm all for it!

Excellent observation regarding being in the middle or not there at all. That's exactly right on.

There have been a few overly intellectual people who've gotten it up their goat to try to tell me how it is but I'm like you, in that I'm very slippery - not just a little - and it'd be damn near impossible for them to be able to know me really (please) and then try to tell me about it (downright laughable).

Interesting about going from warm to cool in an instant. I'll share a recent experience and see if it resonates with any of you. I know a couple who are meditation teachers and we were hanging out for a bit discussing all this stuff. Well, we went to the spiritual community center on Sunday but they came in (as usual) VERY late - like 45-50 minutes late; this is his thing, not her's and I frankly don't know how she can stand it every day. But, I digress. I don't hold being late against anyone as I am routinely 5-10 minutes late myself but this is nuts. Anyway, they ended up having to take separate seats - no surprise there - and she sat next to me in the one empty seat. There was a lady in the remaining one. Well, during a song, he comes over to smoosh his way in and then basically pushes the other lady out of her seat. She looked very introverted to me and then she went over to sit somewhere else. I was F'N MORTIFIED! My opinion of him TOTALLY changed due to this and I skipped an event afterward (for other reasons) but have put major distance between us since then. I have no idea why this pisses me off so much but I suppose it's due to my thinking that it was a major gaffe to push that lady out of her seat and then act like that's normal, run of the mill behavior. Like he's the only person on this earth and everything and one just moves out of his way. I know he's a meditation teacher and "out there" but Christ! Even writing about it ticks me off.

There is my warm to cool in an instant example. :)

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Interesting about going from warm to cool in an instant. I'll share a recent experience and see if it resonates with any of you...

Interesting!

Personally, I've noticed myself 'go cool' (lol) when I either notice someone liking me/taking waay too much interest in me (agh!) or when they're done something major that makes me reconsider my initially optimistic view of their character (a la your story) - in some cases this has been people being very clingy or abrasively annoying.

I think it's my mechanism to tell them to 'go away' without actually having to be mean and tell them that.

I usually find it difficult to maintain the frostiness for very long if they consistently present themselves as a decent human being after said incident, though. :p

Oh, and behaviour lacking a basic modicum of respect/consideration ANNOYS me. How much effort does it bloody take!? :doh:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Secretive is my middle name It takes me a long, long time to share information with people because I have to feel like I can trust them. It's been both good and bad. I've missed out on sharing somewhat but then again, most people don't seem worthy of the real me so...
Yup, I often ponder the paradoxical nature of my "closed openess". I am incredibly open by nature, up to a point, that is...

I share my secrets with self and strangers, and that's about it.

I glad I understand myself and know what I am and who I am. ;) Otherwise I would be really lost.
So true!!!!

I would be one lost and lonely soul if it weren't for the companionship, and guidance of my best friend, who surprisingly/luckily happens to be me. (pats self on back)

This is something I've never had the chance to discuss, but ever since I was a kid there has almost always seemed to be people, ie friends, acquaintances, tugging at me, vying for my attention...and I do mean all of my attention!!!!

I've always had a preferrence for one-on-one communication, and in most of these scenarios, I become an incredibaly attentive person where my focus becomes the one in which I speaking to, (or more appropriately, the one I'm listening to)

Many people have had a tendency to become, as you mention, somewhat intoxicated by my level of attentiveness to them.

I don't want to be someone's drug, rather, I want to be a refreshing cold slap to the face!!!!

I hate, hate, hate when I'm being pulled, where I'm forced to satisfy one person's ego at the expense of hurting another's feelings, bleh!!!!

Fellow ENFPs, have you guys ever considered that perhaps, we're too awesome!?!?!?!?

I can go from overly warm to very cool with a person in a moment when something changes. And I'm never in the middle. I'm either completely there or just not there at all.

And YES to the traipsing off and coming back and reconnecting thing. I still consider the people I knew from school 'friends', even though I haven't really spoken to them in years. Time doesn't change things!
Yup, I too am often an all-or-nothingist!!!

Time is ubercyclical for me. My deeply rooted, emotional/imaginative/intuitive self has remained pretty constant through out my life's experience. I still love the things/ideas/people, I loved ten years ago. When I truly connect to someone or something, that connection is more or less crystallized in my memory.

Interesting about going from warm to cool in an instant. I'll share a recent experience and see if it resonates with any of you. I know a couple who are meditation teachers and we were hanging out for a bit discussing all this stuff. Well, we went to the spiritual community center on Sunday but they came in (as usual) VERY late - like 45-50 minutes late; this is his thing, not her's and I frankly don't know how she can stand it every day. But, I digress. I don't hold being late against anyone as I am routinely 5-10 minutes late myself but this is nuts. Anyway, they ended up having to take separate seats - no surprise there - and she sat next to me in the one empty seat. There was a lady in the remaining one. Well, during a song, he comes over to smoosh his way in and then basically pushes the other lady out of her seat. She looked very introverted to me and then she went over to sit somewhere else. I was F'N MORTIFIED! My opinion of him TOTALLY changed due to this and I skipped an event afterward (for other reasons) but have put major distance between us since then. I have no idea why this pisses me off so much but I suppose it's due to my thinking that it was a major gaffe to push that lady out of her seat and then act like that's normal, run of the mill behavior. Like he's the only person on this earth and everything and one just moves out of his way. I know he's a meditation teacher and "out there" but Christ! Even writing about it ticks me off.

There is my warm to cool in an instant example. :)
That's just plain nasty, nasty people evoke the most incited, toxic nastiness in me, that nastiness being my desire to psychologically/emotionally/intellectually harm that person who I've witnessed being nasty!!!!!

I view them as masked duplicitous disgusting destructive creatures......gotta let this go or I'll burn up :devil:

Meditation teacher my ass!!!!!

Interesting!
Personally, I've noticed myself 'go cool' (lol) when I either notice someone liking me/taking waay too much interest in me (agh!) or when they're done something major that makes me reconsider my initially optimistic view of their character (a la your story) - in some cases this has been people being very clingy or abrasively annoying.

I think it's my mechanism to tell them to 'go away' without actually having to be mean and tell them that.

I usually find it difficult to maintain the frostiness for very long if they consistently present themselves as a decent human being after said incident, though. :p

Oh, and behaviour lacking a basic modicum of respect/consideration ANNOYS me. How much effort does it bloody take!? :doh:
Yup, yup, and yup!!!

Group hug!!!!

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
This is something I've never had the chance to discuss, but ever since I was a kid there has almost always seemed to be people, ie friends, acquaintances, tugging at me, vying for my attention...and I do mean all of my attention!!!!

I've always had a preferrence for one-on-one communication, and in most of these scenarios, I become an incredibaly attentive person where my focus becomes the one in which I speaking to, (or more appropriately, the one I'm listening to)

Many people have had a tendency to become, as you mention, somewhat intoxicated by my level of attentiveness to them.

I don't want to be someone's drug, rather, I want to be a refreshing cold slap to the face!!!!

I hate, hate, hate when I'm being pulled, where I'm forced to satisfy one person's ego at the expense of hurting another's feelings, bleh!!!!

Fellow ENFPs, have you guys ever considered that perhaps, we're too awesome!?!?!?!?

:rofl1:

I definitely agree with you about the one-on-one communication - extraverts are supposed to like group conversation more (or something? :huh:), but one-on-one is definitely where I shine. Like you said - we're incredibly attentive.

The intoxication thing is interesting... I haven't really thought about it that way, before. Hmmm.

I'm not sure I'm that awesome, though. :blush:

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
ie friends, acquaintances, tugging at me, vying for my attention...and I do mean all of my attention!!!!

From the two ENFP's I've talked two, one confirmed the other suspected.

That works both ways, in that when they feel like giving you all their attention they can be pretty adamant about you given them all yours in return. Case of Pot meet Kettle really.

There also slightly egotistically when they think they know someone else.

theshadow

MBTI Type
enfj
I'm not that sure about it. I just act; I don't think how I have an impact on people. I never thought of it. I get confused when I do notice I have impact on them and then I get embarrassed. It's really weird because I really LOVE people! :thinking:

..... OH god your just like my enfp friend. :violin: :hug:.

I would like to here what happens when you meet enfj's. what do you think of them? do you get a long? why or why not. my enfp freind gets really confused when I talk to her since I am able "usually" to understand her point. she usually takes this as a AHH we think alike...... until I exlplain how I understood it and she is like huh?:shock:

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

I would like to here what happens when you meet enfj's. what do you think of them? do you get a long? why or why not. my enfp freind gets really confused when I talk to her since I am able "usually" to understand her point. she usually takes this as a AHH we think alike...... until I exlplain how I understood it and she is like huh?:shock:

I do get along with ENFJ's usually. They are so warm and caring. ENFJ's seem to have a people magnets and people are drawn to them. Me too. :) I really appreciate their supportive style.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
That works both ways, in that when they feel like giving you all their attention they can be pretty adamant about you given them all yours in return. Case of Pot meet Kettle really.

Oh yeah. That's spot on.

I'm feel like I'm fairly patient, all in all, but those people who have nothing to talk about except themselves annoy me and I quickly lose any interest whatsoever.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP

I don't know any people who I'm sure are ENFJs... I wish I did, though, they seem like amazing people. :)

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
I'm not that sure about it. I just act; I don't think how I have an impact on people. I never thought of it. I get confused when I do notice I have impact on them and then I get embarrassed. It's really weird because I really LOVE people! :thinking:

I agree with this completely

I never go out thinking oh I want to be the center of attention, I want to make friends I want to..... No it's never like that. Usually it's a thought process of 'oh please let me get through this night without doing anything stupid' For me going out at times can be a matter of survival especially if I don't know ppl there. *sigh*

theshadow

MBTI Type
enfj
I do get along with ENFJ's usually. They are so warm and caring. ENFJ's seem to have a people magnets and people are drawn to them. Me too. :) I really appreciate their supportive style.

Cute, I wouldnt get along with you either ;)

ok yes we are amazing people people:D but why dont you get along with them?

Last edited:

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I agree with this completely

I never go out thinking oh I want to be the center of attention, I want to make friends I want to..... No it's never like that. Usually it's a thought process of 'oh please let me get through this night without doing anything stupid' For me going out at times can be a matter of survival especially if I don't know ppl there. *sigh*

It's very interesting that so many ENFP's feel this way. I wonder why this is? Are we so consumed by ourselves or are we so up in clouds that we don't notice other people's reactions to us?

Cute, I wouldnt get along with you either ;)

ok yes we are amazing people people:D but why dont you get along with them?

Now I'm puzzled. :thinking: because I wrote there that I do get along. Meaning that I like ENFJ's. :)

theshadow

MBTI Type
enfj
Alcearos;130044]It's very interesting that so many ENFP's feel this way. I wonder why this is? Are we so consumed by ourselves or are we so up in clouds that we don't notice other people's reactions to us?
sometimes yes

Now I'm puzzled. :thinking: because I wrote there that I do get along. Meaning that I like ENFJ's. :)
... your right. "well maybe I expected your response to what I said to be different...." :whistling:

anyhow thank you.:wubbie:

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
It's very interesting that so many ENFP's feel this way. I wonder why this is? Are we so consumed by ourselves or are we so up in clouds that we don't notice other people's reactions to us?

I would guess that it's because we just are, and we do our thing without even thinking about it... it's only when someone's behaviour alters towards us, or something like that - we are jolted down to earth and realise the effect we have on other people.... It embarasses us because we're generally modest folks, and overmuch attention is uncomfortable for us...

(Actually, this reminds me of the video I posted here. Robin Williams (an ENFP) does his thing and is totally caught up in the moment... when he finishes and sits down he looks quite embarassed at the standing ovation. And you would think, he gets applause like that all the time - but he's still not 'used to it'.)