• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What do INFPs think of INTPs?

lachrymose_liar

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four
one of my close friends is an intp. initially it was hard getting to know each other, but once we did we shared several common interests and thought processes. although, sometimes she feels a bit cold...

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
I generally click with them quickly in real life, and we have a lot to talk about. We usually "get" each other pretty well and conversing feels very natural and easy.

Problems can arise if the INTP gets argumentative and/or inadvertently (or purposely...) steps on the INFPs toes and offends some value of theirs, or if the INFP gets too sensitive. This is always how my friendships with INTPs have ended....they get hostile and belligerent.

yes, yes and yes. I've found it's been the misunderstandings which have caused the biggest fall-outs, mainly because once my values or core beliefs are questioned/offended often unintentionally, through logical questioning or hypothesis, i can be incredibly stubborn in not wanting to see the 'rational' side of things.

They are however, as a rule, my favourite pains in the arse :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think many INFP's could very easily be mistaken for INTPs to a casual observer. I see lots of strong similarities, and lots of general compatibility.

yes, and especially if both veer towards Enneagram Type Nine "peacemaker" styles of interaction.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I have a friend, who happens to be an architect, but I dont think he is an INtP, because he seems devoid of any intuition, or it's weak...maybe he's mostly ISTP. I don't know for sure. But I had to cut him loose as a friend, because he's so friggin' selfish and emotionaly closed off. He just likes to play golf and fuck, that's about it. DEEP.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
He's an ISTP. INTP's want realationships, then sex.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yes, and especially if both veer towards Enneagram Type Nine "peacemaker" styles of interaction.

Yes. I get this type of thing alot in real life.

One thing I love about INTPs is that they taught me how to analytically parse a joke and not take it personally. I learned that something that may be offensive on the surface is usually not directed at me personally, but rather poking fun by intentionally breaking some social construct or whatnot.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yes, yes and yes. I've found it's been the misunderstandings which have caused the biggest fall-outs, mainly because once my values or core beliefs are questioned/offended often unintentionally, through logical questioning or hypothesis, i can be incredibly stubborn in not wanting to see the 'rational' side of things.

They are however, as a rule, my favourite pains in the arse :)

This isn't really what I meant. I can't say I've ever had an INTP "enlighten" me on much of anything, and in fact I changed their perspectives on a few things, once they actually let me present my side. :tongue:
I find them to be terribly stubborn also, but I know I am as well.

However, they are interesting to talk with and have great, unique sense of humors.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
No, it's just that they are awed by my logic.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually, INFPs are just easily amused. We are awed by shiny things, as well. :D

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
I hope your avatar doesn't attack the metal on my pencil then.

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
The perceptions of the INTP can seem biting and uncomfortable. They are usually accurate though...so this discomfort is due to the fact that your present reality is not actually reality when you are corrected. I do not believe there is any other type on the whole who has the power of criticism that the INTP has. I do find them very easy to deal with, though i approach subjects somewhat differently in their presence.

For instance, I have a tendency to slide from the upper crust of one very big topic to the next. With INTPs, I try to focus on all of the strata of one particular topic, which they are especially adept at considering, in my experience.

But I do find them formidable, and I do not waste my time debating with INTP contrarians when I am not well informed. Overall, if an INTP clearly has a heart, they may be the most interesting type to me. Just dangerous to the ego, sometimes.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
The perceptions of the INTP can seem biting and uncomfortable. They are usually accurate though...so this discomfort is due to the fact that your present reality is not actually reality when you are corrected. I do not believe there is any other type on the whole who has the power of criticism that the INTP has. I do find them very easy to deal with, though i approach subjects somewhat differently in their presence.

For instance, I have a tendency to slide from the upper crust of one very big topic to the next. With INTPs, I try to focus on all of the strata of one particular topic, which they are especially adept at considering, in my experience.

But I do find them formidable, and I do not waste my time debating with INTP contrarians when I am not well informed. Overall, if an INTP clearly has a heart, they may be the most interesting type to me. Just dangerous to the ego, sometimes.

I've never had a problem dealing with INTP's. Even when they thought differently than I, when I explained my thinking, they saw it and understood it.

I think that, moreso than any other type, they require logical consistency. And not everyone can provide that.

Personally, my beefs are usually with the NTJ's, especially when they are condescending and belittling. An INTP will at least listen to you and try to understand what your saying. IME, NTJ's are the one's who will interrupt you mid-sentence with "you are wrong!" and then stare at you like your an idiotic fluffy bunny who is unworthy of their time and attention and great thoughts while not listening to you.

NTJ's, and TJ's in general, have more of a pragmatic way of thinking, so I think others will more often defer to them and the pragmatic effectiveness of their approach, whereas INTP's strive for logical consistency which others can't necessarily provide and probably isn't pragmatically effective within whatever given situation. More "pie in the sky" kinda thinking.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm curious what defines your "clearly has a heart".

A

A window to the soul

<3

Genius, innovative, charming, interesting, witty, generous, serious, analytical, funny, fun, playful, easy going, perfectionist, dreamer, disorganized (w/some things), very, very loyal, fearless of some of the things I'm afraid of... will suddenly come out of their introverted shell kicking asses and taking names when necessary...

I adore INTP's.

I've never had a problem dealing with INTP's. Even when they thought differently than I, when I explained my thinking, they saw it and understood it.

I think that, more so than any other type, they require logical consistency. And not everyone can provide that.

Personally, my beefs are usually with the NTJ's, especially when they are condescending and belittling. An INTP will at least listen to you and try to understand what your saying.

^Correct, that's been my experience too.

...But I do find them formidable, and I do not waste my time debating with INTP contrarians when I am not well informed. Overall, if an INTP clearly has a heart, they may be the most interesting type to me. Just dangerous to the ego, sometimes.
I'm curious what defines your "clearly has a heart".

+1 -What do you mean by "clearly has a heart?"

If you're shooting the bull with an INTP; let's say you don't know what you're talking about and the INTP does... you're not going to get the INTP to agree with you for the sake of sparing your ego. Is that what you mean by having a heart? The INTP will enthusiastically teach you something though. This reminds me even more why I sure like INTP's. Smarties they are. :blush:

Problems can arise if the INTP gets argumentative and/or inadvertently (or purposely...) steps on the INFPs toes and offends some value of theirs, ....they get hostile and belligerent.

I have never had an INTP step on my toes or get hostile in conversation. They are passionate sometimes when they're talking, but I like that. Honestly, I respect INTP's and what they say seems to just make sense to me.

Our (INFP/INTP) ways are very similar in many regards. INTP's are everything else I wish I could be...

Last edited: