• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFPs - Do you get...

MattC333

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
...angry and manipulative when people don't do something that you believe to be a good cause?

I've got a best mate who's an audio-visual wizard. I'm working with someone on organising a massive fundraiser for CF (which he has) and want to arrange a massive music event for it.

I've asked my friend to do either the audio or visual and his reaction was 'well I might have paid work on, so may not be able to do it...'

This blew my top...I actually told him if he didn't think charity work was more important than what the f**k is the point of doing any work? We should be putting our skills to good use, not thinking about money all the time. This is a one off gig and you're more worried about getting paid? You're a selfish **** for thinking that way, I can't believe you!!!

He's not too happy with me but said he'll do it IF he's not working.

Do any other ENFPs get like this? I really did lose it...to me, charity does take precedence, I'm only asking for a small amount of his time and I'm surprised at his lack of concern. He's one of my best friends because he is so morally upright, this is out of character for him and I'm not impressed. :S I probably shouldn't have lost it though, he's right to have the choice and say no, but I really thought he'd care...

hommefatal

...angry and manipulative when people don't do something that you believe to be a good cause?

I've got a best mate who's an audio-visual wizard. I'm working with someone on organising a massive fundraiser for CF (which he has) and want to arrange a massive music event for it.

I've asked my friend to do either the audio or visual and his reaction was 'well I might have paid work on, so may not be able to do it...'

This blew my top...I actually told him if he didn't think charity work was more important than what the f**k is the point of doing any work? We should be putting our skills to good use, not thinking about money all the time. This is a one off gig and you're more worried about getting paid? You're a selfish **** for thinking that way, I can't believe you!!!

Do any other ENFPs get like this? I really did lose it...to me, charity does take precedence, I'm only asking for a small amount of his time and I'm surprised at his lack of concern. He's one of my best friends because he is so morally upright, this is out of character for him and I'm not impressed. :S I probably shouldn't have lost it though, he's right to have the choice and say no, but I really thought he'd care...
I don't get angry. If something won't work I don't care. But I am always manipulative. I compliment a lot and stuff. I can make people do everything for me.

hommefatal

I think ENFJs are more "angry and manipulative". You know, they are born dictators.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Matt, try and see it from his pov. If he is self-employed, working on a big project for a long time that doesn't pay is highly unwise. The fact that he's willing to do it inbetween, should mean the world to you, especially if he doesn't share your ideals. It means that he values you enough to do it, for you. That, right there, is a form of manipulation. Your likability gets you the resources you need. And yes, if it is a charity, the charity should understand that volunteers need to free time in their schedules and do have to make a living meanwhile.

And, kudos to your buddy for knowing you well enough and not holding your outburst against you. Repair the damage asap, and make sure that when the time comes, you're there to help him manage both worlds, so he can help you in turn. That way, everyone wins.

I used to get like this. It doesn't help sway people to our side. IME, the method above does ;)

PS manipulation aka guilttripping when angry is something many people are highly aversive to. Besides, we rule at manipulation when we're not even conscious we're doing it, like when we really dote on someone and like them genuinly. Just an afterthought.

MattC333

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Hehe, thanks Amargith. He's an ENFJ by the way. And actually it's usually him that gets like this...
I've apologised, said I didn't mean to lose it, it's just this is so important to me and is such a tiny commitment.

The event is only 1 day and I figured considering I have done tons for him lately, that he really wouldn't mind him helping me for such a noble cause.
He's a film student and having a fundraiser on his CV would be great so when I asked I did have that in mind, that it would give him something back.
He's on his gap year for work and while he may have stuff coming up, I'm sure they'll let him have one day off to do this.
He dismissed it before I could give him more info which i think is why I snapped.
I asked if he'd be interesting in doing this event and he instantly replied with 'well I'm probably busy' and I took a bit too much offence to that. Took it too personally which is all to common for me. I'd have understood more if I was asking for alot more of his time. I'm trying not to be stubborn here, I can find other people but considering what this will do for his CV and the fact that he is my friend, he was my first choice.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
He could've just had an off day where he was feeling overwhelmed by all the work he has to do already. Ask again, and make it worth his while. I doubt he'll turn you down, if he is in fact an ENFJ ;)

MattC333

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
He's out in Germany, seeing his GF and getting lots and lots of sex! If he's not in a good mood after that, I'll never be able to ask him! :p

I'll try again later :D

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I get pissed off inside and they go down a notch in my books, but I just smile and say "of course, I understand perfectly" since I wouldn't want someone to do something they didn't actually want to do of their own accord.

Forcing, manipulating, or using coercion to get what I want isn't really my thing at all.

I liken it to putting a spell on someone to get them to love you, it's not really love, it's fake. Them doing what I want, not because they genuinely wanted to, but only because I made them, isn't good enough for me.

I would have understood in the above situation though, I am all for charities but I wouldn't want to get between a friend and their pay, otherwise they could end up needing charity too. ;)

MattC333

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Sad story.
Aye, it's a tale of woe!

BE, I know what you mean, getting someone to do something on false pretences would slowly eat at me, even though I am extremely good at doing it.

He's hardly like to become charity! Not on his projected salary! That's what really bit me, 1 day = extreme CV prestige and higher chances for better jobs vs work being a bit snarky for 1 day because he wants some time off...

I'm going round in circles 'I understand he's of work but it's only a day...But it IS his career so this should be fine, its ok...BUT it's CHARITY so he should blah blah' *repeat until head implodes.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I'm going round in circles 'I understand he's of work but it's only a day...But it IS his career so this should be fine, its ok...BUT it's CHARITY so he should blah blah' *repeat until head implodes.

Haha I know what you mean about the continuous loop of "yes but, no but, yes but, no but" lol I have a totally different situation going on in my head, yet equally related about a close friend of mine.

Can't make up my mind if I understand her motivations, or if I think it's judgement time.

MattC333

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Do you find it was the WAY he gave his answer as opposed to the actual response?

It was that way for me, I'd probably have just shrugged it off and not worried otherwise.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
It gets to me too!

I think what it boils down to? Is a lack of genuineness/sincerity. It makes me a bit upset, only because in my mind, I think that when people say/act out in such a way.. they're not being true to who they are but what they think they should be.

They act out of ignorance as a way to justify their own actions in order to downplay others' emotions.. just so that they can have a few ounces of happiness, which in turn, isn't true happiness.

True happiness stems from the fact that we 'choose' to do what we want to do, because it makes us and the other person happy, and no amount of money can really buy that.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram

Holy shit. You and I are exactly alike. I do the same thing all of the time, no lie, it must be a Male ENFP thing.

I guess we just need to see more meaning from within, and take time to decipher why people do things we don't agree with- there is usually a reason, but our F makes it really hard, and we get angry.

MattC333

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Haha, nice one One ;)

Yeah, maybe. Do friends know you for having a portable soapbox??

If I get up on an issue I go ballistic and start ranting how unjust something is or stupid and carry on proving just how much so it is. Then start pointing out how to improve things.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I'm very live and let live. It's people's choice if they be moral campaigners or not. On the other hand if someone directly undermines someone else, or manipulates and controls them I tend to have quite strong opinions on it. I'd probably be annoyed with something in his attitude to charity more than the fact he could get paid work instead. I love the idea of maximising profit, minimising work.

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
My last boyfriend was an ENFP and he was very manipulative. He always did it out of the best of intentions, but it still was a problem. He wouldn't take no for an answer and he'd play the guilt card a lot.

Mr.Dude

MBTI Type
ENFP
Well, as for me, I do what I can to NOT be manipulative. I feel it takes genuineness out of people when you do such things. Haha, although, I DO have my times where I know I'm good at it, and want to use it... soooo, I do. Ugh.

And I guess if I were in your situation, I would get a lil angry myself. From what I hear, he's pretty well off financially, so I would go with the logic of,'Quit being so selfish trying to make so much dang money and do something for someone else for a change!' But yes, I wouldn't say such things out loud for fear of conflict I suppose. But OHHHH would I be thinking it!

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
So you are upset he told you he might have other responsiblities he would have to attend to at the time? Why should he have to ignore his responsibilities because you thought you knew better what he should be doing? Or he could have said yes but had to blow your gig off at the last minute. I must be missing something.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Hey Matt, maybe I have a lot more down and out kinda friends but generally when someone says "I need to get paid and I'm prioritizing work" that's the end of the story.

I'm actually really surprised to hear you felt justified in your anger and your outburst towards your friend.

Though it does remind me of another friend of mine. He runs an events company and does fundraisers and I think he is some kind of EF. He is generally very nice and well liked but he turns into a MILITANT when it comes to getting "suggested donations". He literally will not let people come into the event without paying - that is not a "donation"!

Someone paid 1/2 the suggested the donation at the door and he made their friend pay the other part!

Personally, I think that is all outrageous behavior since part of doing fundraising and "community work" is being mindful and respectful of where people are financially and you know, the actual community. That is why it is called a "sliding scale donation".

I can understanding wanting to do the best for the cause or group you have selected to help, but you can't lose sight of the bigger picture and the fact that your priorities are not necessarily other people's priorities nor do they have to be.

I do understand feeling like someone is being selfish or being disappointed in them, but in this case I think your friend's response that he is prioritizing getting paid and may have another gig lined up - that makes a lot of sense.

Also, creative professionals often get underpaid and are undervalued for their work. I think creative professionals and even those who do a lot of community work get taken advantage of.

For myself in my organizing, I think it's important that actors, DJs, workshop presenters, etc. get paid for their time. I have been involved in organizing events where people complained that a presenter actually wanted to get *paid* because if they really "cared" then they would do it for free. Another conflict ensued because some DJs I secured for an event I coordianted donated their services and were still asked to pay the cover to the event they volunteered at because "everyone has to pay". It was kinda ridiculous IMO and they refused to ever help again because they felt their time and services were so disrespected. That community group I worked with changed their policy after that.

My response to all this is that if we really care about the community and equality and strengthening community and really manifesting the beliefs that fuel our charity/organizing work - that means we have to show *respect* and value people in our community by paying people a fair amount an valuing where they are coming from. Respect for all and fairness is a foundation for the philosophy of charitable work

Then again, the community work I've traditionally done has centered on immigrant, GLBT, female, and other minority groups that don't have a lot of resources, infrastructure, or money.

Just my 3 cents.