User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Default INFJ & INTP relationship?

Thoughts? Experiences? How did it turn out?

Edit: Usually, does the difficulty of the INTP in opening up cause the INFJ to feel hurt and back away?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Twixt View Post
    I've had a couple of experiences with INFJs. Amazing connection. The INFJ gives the INTP an interesting puzzle to solve. And the INTP feels he has someone to bounce complex topics off -- since the INFJ's eyes don't immediately glaze over -- this causes him to open up more and the INFJ appreciates this.

And I think INTPs love the INFJs whimsical nature and entirely different way of looking at things and the world in general.

Some pitfalls though: if the INFJs J is too strong it can cause some issues around the lack of spontaneity and willingness to see other viewpoints for the INTP. If the INTPs Fe is very weak this can cause the INFJ to want for a more emotional connection.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

I was actually wondering about INFJ-INTP relationships, too. Sharing a fairly dark sense of humor draws me to one INTP I know, and there's a lot of fun, somewhat flirty banter. It doesn't seem quite right as far as romantic connections go, though, and I can't put my finger on why.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I was just talking to an INFJ about dynamics here... and while there seems to be a chemistry there (I sense how deep and intriguing the INFJ is), if they are self-protective I get this weird push/pull vibe... like anytime I try to see in more deeply and clarify things, they dodge or deflect and I can never see clearly into them... which frustrates me and leaves me feeling rejected. But it's really weird -- I get the vibe they REALLY like me, but when I try to do what is natural for me and "get inside" to see everything up close, they pull away and/or hide/deflect.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    meh

Push/Pull is a good way to describe it. I like to think they're like cats. If you want them too much they push you away. Indifference FTW. Works every time.

Attentive listening is key, too. If you want to "see in" you have to open up a topic for discussion without making them feel like you're being pushy, or prying too much.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

How do you try to see things up close and how do they hide? I never really thought of us being hiders, unless we feel like someone isn't going to play nicely and be respectful of what they find. Now I'm curious.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Twixt View Post

Edit: Usually, does the difficulty of the INTP in opening up cause the INFJ to feel hurt and back away?
    My parents are INTP and INFJ. It works well. They've been married for a very long time.

The closest they've had to type-related relationship trouble has been when my dad (the INTP) has had a bad day and blows up (from the suppressed emotions of the past days/weeks). It's valid/understandable, but hard to deal with (you can't reason with him at that stage), and it hurts my sensitive INFJ mom. (This is ironic, because it's the opposite problem of what's in your edit.)

Besides that, they're the picture-perfect (albeit antisocial) marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by hokie912 View Post
    Sharing a fairly dark sense of humor draws me to one INTP I know, and there's a lot of fun, somewhat flirty banter.
    Yeah, banter is a big part of my parents' relationship. It can be entertaining
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Oops, Sarcasticus beat me to the punch. Yes, I can understand that we clam up if it feels like we there is any coersion. Unfortunately although indifference always makes us want to get closer, then we feel bad if the other person doesn't respond. I guess you just can't win!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Does the mutual interest in each other and the double I-ness make for reclusiveness as a rule?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Oops, Sarcasticus beat me to the punch. Yes, I can understand that we clam up if it feels like we there is any coersion. Unfortunately although indifference always makes us want to get closer, then we feel bad if the other person doesn't respond. I guess you just can't win!
    Indifference in the sense that it doesn't seem like you're seeking answers for that big dossier you're keeping of that person in your head.