User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: On INFPs

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

For me, the dark side of the INFP equation has been a life-long existential crisis, along with depression.
    I feel that INFP's are given both deficits and gifts. If you can overcome the deficits, you can learn to take advantage of the gifts.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by The Decline View Post
    I find that people can severely misunderstand INFPs.. perhaps because they find it hard to understand themselves.
    This is part of it. Also, INFPs intentionally hide themselves to to avoid being understood.

Which is fine, it just doesn't give us much right to be upset when someone does misunderstand us.

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I feel that INFP's are given both deficits and gifts. If you can overcome the deficits, you can learn to take advantage of the gifts.
    True, true. The same goes for any type - this is just how INFP's weaknesses are displayed. As an INFP, I had to come to terms that other people have weaknesses as well - they just manifest differently.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    INFPs intentionally hide themselves to avoid being understood.

Which is fine, it just doesn't give us much right to be upset when someone does misunderstand us.
    bitingly accurate! but i wouldn't say you 'understand'

MBTI
    UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post

What are you talking about?!?!? No one understands me!! Nooo oneeeeeeeeeeeee. and it's all their fault!!

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Princess Diana was not "completely unstable." She was beautiful and sensitive and she cared strongly about others and served the people. So yeah, she had flaws. So does everybody.
    which part of "completely unstable" isn't true? she was unstable, diagnosed with personality disorder and had bulimia. In my opinion, everybody with bulimia is unstable.

Why don't you think there isn't anything good about INFPs? Is it because some of the descriptions on-line are so condecending toward us, like we're these wayward little mental patients that need to be patted on the head?

O god, talking about projection. :confused:
    where did I say I don't see anything good in INFPs?
    you can reread my post and see I said they should be great folks but often are represented with Princess Diana (not my personal favorite) who was unstable so there's that confusion about INFPs, along with ugly profiles.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Why don't you think there isn't anything good about INFPs? Is it because some of the descriptions on-line are so condecending toward us, like we're these wayward little mental patients that need to be patted on the head?
    I assume this is addressed towards the OP, there was no need to take offense, I just feel that I don't have the same skills as a normal INFP (If I actually am an INFP). They have perfectionism, supposedly clean rooms, modesty, uniqueness, the need to seek improvement (?) and a whole variety of other things. I think some of the profiles just choose to emphasize the wrong details, whinging about not being understood isn't really doing much to help though, is it? Why not help people to understand INFPs a bit better, which now that I think about it, is what that unusual INFP thread was about (which I am just yet to read). INFPs don't tend to actually reveal their emotions do they? Psychologists probably have trouble typing them because of this detail, and hence the actual profiles are useless (even if they were written by an INFP, the modesty would kill it... but if it was an INFP talking about another INFP... maybe )

Well, there's some pretty good points . Do INFPs struggle to find employment? I think I've noticed that when you don't oversell yourself in an interview, you don't get chosen, regardless of your skillz. I've been building up my ego, it used to get torn down quite often by realism, but it's growing.
    I think one of the best INFP qualities is that they strive for the best and always want to improve (probably because they don't think they have any good qualities, so they seek improvement to fill the void). The thing is, I'm good at anything I try to do, be it sports, mathematics, scuba diving... I can do it... but not being the best makes me think that it's worthless. I think there is an awesomeness at being good at being good at things, although I can't single out something that I'm better than everyone else at.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    supposedly clean rooms
    What profile says this?

Do INFPs struggle to find employment? I think I've noticed that when you don't oversell yourself in an interview, you don't get chosen, regardless of your skillz.

The thing is, I'm good at anything I try to do, be it sports, mathematics, scuba diving... I can do it... but not being the best makes me think that it's worthless. I think there is an awesomeness at being good at being good at things, although I can't single out something that I'm better than everyone else at.
    I think this may be NF idealism. I suspect most NFs feel that way....our standards are very high.
    INFPs tend to be the most self-critical though. We have trouble seeing our own talents.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    What profile says this?
    A socionics one (INFj). It said this, and that this behavior is more prevalent in female INFPs, I take it that it's not true? lol

I think this may be NF idealism. I suspect most NFs feel that way....our standards are very high.
    INFPs tend to be the most self-critical though. We have trouble seeing our own talents.
    Well, it is quite a high standard, if you're not the best, then you're not good at all... it could be enneagram 3, I'll look into it, but it's probably idealism. I'm probably really an INFP, I have no solid way of knowing atm, so I'll be a closet INFP .
    5 3 9

MBTI
    INFP

"Well, it is quite a high standard, if you're not the best, then you're not good at all... it could be enneagram 3, I'll look into it, but it's probably idealism. I'm probably really an INFP, I have no solid way of knowing atm, so I'll be a closet INFP . "

---A slightly different take on this self-directed perfectionism: I'm not comfortable with my abilities until they reach a level of habit where I don't need to think through every step each time. ---Perhaps a level where my N can work nearly on it's own. IOW I might be able to teach a college level course on a subject before I'm satisfied that I have any idea what I'm talking about.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

A socionics one (INFj). It said this, and that this behavior is more prevalent in female INFPs, I take it that it's not true? lol
    It's a stereotype that MBTI INFPs are horribly messy. Additionally, socionics INFj does not translate perfectly to MBTI INFP.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness