• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Could You Forgive A Partner For Cheating?

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I could forgive. I might even learn to trust someone wholeheartedy again if they put forth sincere effort to repair the damage to the relationship, after initial spewing of fire-and-brimstone-like fury. :steam: I'd need to both see and sense real regret and change, though.

Good question!

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Most people are inclined to state this in absolute terms "Cheating is cheating is cheating," but I'm not so certain about this (though I've never been that close to someone, either).

I think it would depend on the circumstances.

This is how I feel....

I used to not be able to fathom forgiving a cheater, or being able to trust them again anyway. However, I strongly believe in the permanence of marriage (except in extreme circumstances), and if I was married to someone and they were truly sorry and willing to take the steps the repair the marriage, then I would seriously consider taking them back.

I knew an older woman who said burying her husband was easier than taking him back after he had cheated :D. However, she didn't regret it, and the marriage improved because issues were addressed that needed to be resolved.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
Silly NFs. Cheating occurrences are one of many repercussions of unbalanced neurotransmitters. Cheating evolves from a subconscious 'trigger'. To fill a void. In your defence...if one cheats, you should expect an equal sincerity seen through the spirit of the aura of the cheaters humility. If it is nonexistent, it can be chalked up for the lack of an equal or better fill of a void. Reason is, if someone is truly sorry, their spirit alone replaces this natural need to balance. If they are not truly sorry, then they are content with their chosen alternative to balance.

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
This is how I feel....

I used to not be able to fathom forgiving a cheater, or being able to trust them again anyway. However, I strongly believe in the permanence of marriage (except in extreme circumstances), and if I was married to someone and they were truly sorry and willing to take the steps the repair the marriage, then I would seriously consider taking them back.

I knew an older woman who said burying her husband was easier than taking him back after he had cheated :D. However, she didn't regret it, and the marriage improved because issues were addressed that needed to be resolved.

This I can actually relate to. My original answer was accurate: I would not forgive. But I was also careful to not say that there were no circumstances in which I would stay in the relationship. It would be difficult, but like you, I believe in the permanence of marriage. If I were married, and my husband of some years cheated, I can't guarantee I'd end up in divorce court over it. Especially if we had children. I can absolutely understand how that older woman felt. I could never forgive, I don't even know if I could love him again, but there are circumstances in which I could imagine trying to maintain some semblance of a life together.

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
i find a lot of angles in this question. i'm going to type them out but i kind of want you to just Te tear what i say apart and simplify it for me.

the first is the question of what a relationship is SUPPOSED to be. what makes sense for relationships, how that fits into individual human beings having fulfilling lives and developing themselves and their desires in ways they see rewarding and meaningful. i struggle to understand if the idea of monogamy is ultimately one of those like taboo ideas that you just have to accept at face value to participate in the "serious relationship" game. and the way in which that game intersects with sexual discourses is so muddled and messy- it's frustrating for an N who wants to assimilate all the perspectives and synthesize them into something TRUE.

sexual behavior/practices and the idea of a long-term relationship seem connected in fuzzy ways to me. what this comes down to is CHEATING, which even the language for it is so contractual and legalistic, it has to do with accepting the binding law for a life partnership, a business venture that starts out and proceeds thru a series of phases/transformations intending to build security at a reasonable socially accredited level/way. these are important, i understand, for individual persons to be able to make their way in the world, part out their work, and focus on certain tasks that they can learn and develop skill for in order to do better and w/ more specialization. ie that i won't have to make the money so i can write books, create a pleasing domestic environment, organize leisure and learning and self-improvement, etc. but the ways in which these limit relationships with other human beings can be a huge crutch for development, and this relates to sexual practices as well (which is a serious and valid language for expression, exploration, etc between two people and a way in which they know each other, encoutner each other, and dialogically define themselves thru their experiences with others, positioning themselves within gender discourses, social status discourses, anima animus shit, aesthetic development, T-F balance, clean out the pipes, etc).

i recognize all these aspects to the equation but my short answer is HELL NO. i'm way too insecure. i understand that my idea of a relationship, particularly a serious long-term life partnership relationship requires many artificial constructs/boundaries for me to have a reasonable level of confidence/trust in the situation. and i would like to point out that THIS is what many of these relationship structures do, what they are there for. it is not any inherent truth to the way in which relationships should or naturally unfold, it is just necessary precautions and like a LANGUAGE for relationships so taht we can appropriately read and respond to the situation. they are not more RIGHT in any way, but certain individuals need more explication, need stricter requirements and tighter socio-sexual boundaries to feel safe/secure/confident/trusting as a partner.

i am a 5w4 enneagram wise. my tendency is to withdraw to protect my own autonomy and not get over-extended/exposed by the weaknesses that are created in attaching to another (individual or group). i want more control over the articulation of my self, my self-image, my story/narrative of self, my idea of self, my future self projections, etc. anything that threatens these or jeopardizes my ability to do this, or forces me to swallow some bad Fe blood that is disillusioning regarding this, questions and interrogates my ways of integrating my-self as an identity and idea of who i am and who i relate/stack up to others, (which is very 4 wing- wanting to be recognized as a uniquely valuable individual who stands out and is not like the others, is never lumped in with "the rest," etc), just punishes me for idealizing something in a way that is not accurate, or makes me have to question my own Ni connections stored away and update my shit and feel LOST in liminality and unknowing and uncertainty as to who i am, what i'm doing here, and how i relate to others socially, sexually, self-preservationally (success!), etc.

i would never accept it from someone else. in terms of what a relationship brings to me, i'm realizing my unrealistic expecations to be loved in like another higher better totally categorically different kind of way is silly and absurd. human beings are built to desire, like, love, learn from, fuck other human beings. but i do know that the added security from someone who wants to take care of me (especially in terms of worldly and practical things), attend to my emotional state and wants to nurture it, care for it, etc, is a very significant for me. whereas some types are more inspirational and help release and express big waves of emotional torrent, others ground me from the storms. this ebb and flow is a difficult question to master and only LIFE can answer it, radically contextual and highly situation specific. i don't know what will happen, and it is the nature of highly advanced social beings to have many diverse and conflictin desires that must be managed and maintained. but each person kind of has an obligation to do the best tehy can for themselves, do what they need to do. there are hopefully built-in obligations (dependencies!) to others as well, but they ARE secondary aspects of a life that is ultimately your own to live.

it is difficult at times for extraverted judgers to turn your own judgment on yourself and your own actions in a way that allows you to stay in touch with your own wants and needs. whereas introverted judging types follow their hearts or their logic in an easier way.

Sounds to me like you're saying that while you have an idea of the relationships you want in your life, and that idea ends up back at the "cheating is unforgivable" answer, you don't necessarily believe that the answer is universal. Kind of creating order out of relativism (the curse of a 5 with a J?) Rather than feeling comfortable declaring one way of maintaining a relationship is Right or another way Wrong, you prefer describing how certain behaviors (the behavior of monogamy) fit certain needs (the need to control your self-identity). I can understand that. Kinda balances the NF need to "think outside the box," imagine possibilities, and put yourself in another's shoes with the gavel-wielding extroverted judger side who hears that side of you and just thinks "bullshit, bullshit, bullshit." It does make for an interesting tug of war.

I don't know that I agree that extroverted judgers have a tough time turning their judgments inward though, and not just in the obvious exaggerated superego, repression of desires kind of way either. Ni (or I guess Si) could be used to consider answers to what a relationship is, how partners could behave, why a certain behavior is preferred to another behavior, etc... All "coulds" and no "shoulds" in the imagining stage. But the decision is made, the gavel comes down, the question is closed, and the verdict is internalized. I don't cheat in relationships for the same reason I don't rob old ladies: it's just wrong - wrong for others to do and wrong for me to do.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Finds out partner cheats. *executes betrayer publically.*

jimboworld

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I see cheating as one not being fulfilled in a particular area so I would forgive but cease further continuation of the relationship.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I couldnt forgive myself for picking a partner that WOULD cheat. Then I would be pissed at the partner for a looooong time. BAsically, no I would not forgive them. If they come crawling back they'll get a curbstomp. Then I would point them to a church, in the INFJ 'hug after an argument' style.

Maxwell22290

MBTI Type
ISFP
Could I forgive them? Absolutely. Would I stay in a relationship with them? Never.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
yes i would forgive them and depending on what the circumstances were i may or may not break up with them.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
As an ENFP, we can sometimes be *too* forgiving... How do you know when to forgive... and when to walk away? Example: The ISFJ partner who cheated on me one year ago wanted me back right away and still wants me back. I have told her no repeatedly. I don't feel like I can ever trust her again... Once someone breaks their loyalty to me TO THAT DEGREE... I struggle.

If someone cheats on me, it's over. Period. End of discussion. I don't care what the reasons are.

But I'm an NT, so you may not be comfortable making the choice I would. I'd sleep just fine.

P

Phantonym

Sure, I could forgive but forgetting it is a whole another matter. Nothing would ever be the same again as it was and there could be only two outcomes of this:

1. We break up.
2. We work on it and maybe establish a new level of communication that makes our relationship stronger.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No. Or maybe I would, but it would effectively end our relationship. I won't recover from having that level of trust broken. And it would be cruel to subject him constantly to my insecurities about him straying again constantly.

mwv6r

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I do think that forgiving and taking back the cheating partner can be a good route occasionally, but you have to be a very strong, secure person to be capable of that. (Stronger than me!)

Very early on in my relationship with my fiance (6 years ago when we lived in different cities and had just started dating), I cheated on him in a heavily-intoxicated moment of weakness by making out with a guy at a party (no sex of any kind but kissing and heavy petting). I felt terrible the next day, but as I've matured and gotten more serious with my partner and moved in together (and stopped drinking so damn much!) my embarrassment at my actions that night has only increased. Now I look back and can only cringe and wonder what I was thinking to risk a caring relationship for something so meaningless and temporary with a near-stranger. I am lucky enough to have an amazing partner with a laidback, forgiving personality type (ESTP) who took me back after a brief break-up (in which we sorted things out and I realized how much I had fucked up). I am really grateful he forgave me. I will NEVER make that mistake again, and ever since then I've been very cautious about the situations I put myself in when I'm drinking, usually only getting that level of drunk when he is around too or if he's not around, only getting that way around people I can trust.

As an INFJ, I am not blessed with one of those laidback, forgiving personality types -- I am extremely sensitive and easily hurt. I know for a fact that I would not be able to forgive him for the same transgression. In fact about two years ago I discovered an inappropriate flirtation he was having with a coworker (it had not progressed to cheating but was headed in that direction, although he insisted that he would have stopped it before that point even if I hadn't gotten involved). Anyway, I told him to stop the behavior, and he did stop and was remorseful, but even then I had sooo much trouble letting it go, and in fact I saw a counselor for a time because I was so distraught. I felt so hurt and betrayed that it was a struggle to put it behind me -- I nearly broke up with him even though he hadn't even done anything physical with her. Had he actually crossed the line with this girl instead of just toeing the line I know that I wouldn't have been able to forgive him. I've read that introverted judgers (IxxJs) have trouble letting go of hurt, and that's definitely true for me! One factor that did help me get over it was remembering how he had forgiven me for my mistake, although if he'd touched her I know for certain that all bets would have been off as far as I was concerned! So I guess in that sense I am a big fat hypocrite, but regardless, I know that my sensitivity is something that is largely static/unchangeable in my personality. And so I have just tried to learn from my mistake, been thankful for such a forgiving partner, and moved on from there.

(Aside: what truly blew my mind was that in all our arguments over the more recent situation, he never once brought up my past mistake. I think he honestly has completely forgotten about it, which is unfathomable to me -- I would never forget something like that! Sometimes I am really envious of the supreme emotional stability and rock-solid self-esteem of xSTPs!)

Long story short, I think as an NF a common gut reaction is to kick the cheating partner to the curb for their transgression and to terminate the relationship. But at the same time, I can tell you from personal experience that it is possible for a person to learn from their mistake and change...

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Could You Forgive A Partner For Cheating?

Depends on the situation because the world isn't black and white.
I'm not entirely sure if I could forgive, but I could forget....

stigmatica

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Been there, done that. Wasn't easy, wasn't quick, made life miserable more so for me than her for a very long time. So long ago now, it might as well have been another life now. So, it's possible, but not easy. A lot of growth came out the other end of it, had it not, that would have been a tremendous amount of pain for not, so it's a risky undertaking. For me, I'm glad I did. Had there not been any kids involved, however, I would have probably moved on rather than plow through such pain. Took about 5 years to truly get past it, so it's not for the faint of heart.

stigmatica

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Agree with what fidelia said. :yes:

It's not about whether you can forgive the person for cheating on you. It's about WHY the person chose to cheat. There's something wrong with the relationship if there's cheating going on. You can either try to work that out... or take the easier/more sensible route and walk out.

Yep... something is wrong, but it's not necessarily two sided. When it happened to me, I was committed to my family, and struggling to succeed. We were still pretty young, and she had never managed to grow into the role of motherhood. I can't stress enough how mortified and angry I was the night I found out. She went out under the guise of "Girls night out" to play bingo, and I stayed at home taking care of our young child, even though I had exams at the University the next day and needed to study. 2:00AM, and she's still not home, and not answering her phone. I'm worried beyond sick, convinced she's dead on a highway somewhere. She comes in, and I'm fit to be tied. Nothing she says makes any sense, her clothes didn't smell like smoke (would have if she played bingo), and came up with some story about a break down that was riddled with inconsistencies and holes. Eventually, she confesses to the real story.

You should know that I would have never suspected her capable of it until that moment. I've never been that angry before or after that night in my entire life. I wanted to know everything, but hearing anything at all sent me into a rage. I wanted to skin the other man alive, I wanted to end everything, and yet couldn't bare the thought of raising my child alone, and yet I couldn't bare the possibility of my child in the care of the other man if we divorced, and they continued a relationship. A million conflicting thoughts ran through my mind every minute for days. No sleep, no food. I skipped exams, life was at a crossroads, and I couldn't move.

I kicked her out of the house, and I kept our child. This lasted only a few weeks. Every day, I couldn't help but call. I actually missed her for those two weeks, but at the same time I despised her. She was sorry for what she had done, but I just couldn't get enough sorry to satisfy me. I made a list of conditions for her return. I don't remember all of them, or what they were exactly... but off the top of my head...

1. You must give me 1 year of total communication of where you are, and what you're doing at all times.
2. You must quit your job (was a coworker she cheated with) immediately, and never return to that place.
3. You must dedicate every available moment to being a good wife and mother to prove your dedication to the family, above and beyond the call of duty.
4. You must attend a marriage councilor with me.

She agreed to the terms, and carried them out to the letter. She literally became a different and better person. The person she was before that agreement essentially died that day, and 12 years later, she's better than ever. We've discussed this a few times over the years, and for her, the pain ended the moment the agreement was made. For her, the guilt was lifted at that point. For me? I had nightmares that slowly reduced in frequency to zero over the next five years. For the first year, I had trouble shutting off the scenario's and what if's running through my head every time I spent time alone. Any movie with cheating in it became too painful or uncomfortable to watch.

I'm completely over it now, and have been for sometime. Time heals all wounds. I can watch cheating movies with my wife in arm with no issues at all. I can drive past the place of employment at the time, and possibly not even think about it.

2 points though:
1. It's easy to cheat, and easy to be forgiven. It's the one you hurt that suffers the most. I'm not talking about a girlfriend/boyfriend thing, I'm talking about in a long established relationship.

2. Before the event occurred, I hate to say it, but she was not a very good mother, and certainly not a great wife. She was a child. After, she was stellar in all these things and still is today. I can't help but wonder if it was for the best in the long run.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Being that I tend to be pretty insecure, that is something I probably couldn't forgive. I can be a pretty forgiving person until I'm well... not. I try to find the positive attributes of the person and the situation but there are certain things that are on my list of unforgivables. Then I hold grudges for months on end, or even years. Things people do and say, I have trouble forgetting and it's hard to get you in my good book again once I have a negative opinion on you.

Cheating can imply that the person thinks you are not enough for them or lacking as a human in some way, shape, or form. That you're not enough of a human for them to give you the most basic human respect. That my personality isn't enough, I'm not intelligent or creative enough for them, that I'll always just be a second option, or unspoken stuff about chronically being on the backburner. This is probably the lowest insult someone could give me personally.