User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default How do NF's talk to S's in general?

I have tested 88% Intuitive and naturally I have a serious communication problem with S's in general.

They always seem to give me a look of almost disgust that I care so much about seemingly light issues.

A perfect example would be talking about movies, something I really enjoy talking about. The movie would be WALL-E.

I really saw what the makers of WALL-E were trying to get at. WALL-E and EVE broke out of their "programming" when it seemed to be obsolete. The AUTO bot was just the opposite, he followed "orders" to a fault and nearly killed all the people he was created to protect on the Axiom.

I was explaining this to an S and her reply was: "WALL-E makes funny noises." It was a bit tongue and cheek but that's how the conversation ended. She was basically saying that she couldn't care less about the moral values of the story, and I would assume she is confused why I would care about them.

So, how does a strong NF like myself comminucate with S's? So far it's been an epic fail at every turn.
    Last edited by sabastious; 06-11-2009 at 12:41 PM.

MBTI
    ISFJ

First of all, you need to acknowledge there is variety within the Ss ranks, obviously.

Secondly, there is moral value to be found pretty much everywhere if you look hard enough (I hear ya NFP brotha). I can't say it's what led me to watch WALL-E...but also not what led me to drop it halfway through.

Thirdly, it's sometimes healthy to just accept some people are "dumb" or shallow or have different interests or whatever.

Fourthly, I could see myself using your friend's line if I was not really in the mood to talk about such stuff.

Fifthly, Ns make better company

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, if people like those are Sensors... I talk to them as little as possible, because they bore and annoy me. They're like two-year olds.

I'd suggest just keeping the conversation on a surface level about things that you HAVE to talk to them about. Don't bother with anything superfluous, and just fake your way through.

I think that this is more a matter of intelligence than S/N, though. A clever S will likely be somewhat enjoyable to talk to, and will be steering the conversation in a direction that's good for both of you.

MBTI
    INFP

It's not that sensors dont ever want to talk about anything "deep." They just go about it a completely different way than N's. How do we as strong intuituve types bridge that gap between N's and strong S's?

MBTI
    INFP

I think that this is more a matter of intelligence than S/N, though
    From my experience I have never met any type that is a stronger sensor that loves to read into things and dig deep into the meaning of things. But I could just have been around the same types of S's.

MBTI
    INFP

In my experience, I just don't really ever 'bridge that gap' with strong S's. I'm polite, but we don't hit it off well. However, I know some S's who are enjoyable to talk to, so to echo what's been said, it does really depend on the S person -- they vary, of course.
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelchild View Post
    In my experience, I just don't really ever 'bridge that gap' with strong S's. I'm polite, but we don't hit it off well. However, I know some S's who are enjoyable to talk to, so to echo what's been said, it does really depend on the S person -- they vary, of course.
    What type am I refering too tho, SJ's? Or am I refering to NT's? And got the whole S thing off.

I drink your milkshake. Thessaly's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

I act the same with SJs as I do with any other type. I just know to expect the occasional eye roll and look of disbelief and respond accordingly with even more of what provoked the reaction. Eventually their sense of humor kicks in and all is well until the next disagreement .

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Find more open S's.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INFP

Whoops, I meant to say strong SJ's. I do well with most SP's.
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%