User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: INFJs and sleep

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Default INFJs and sleep

I read recently that INFJs require 9-10 hours of sleep because they have a very large working memory and also exhaust their emotional resources which has a toll on physical resources. This was the first time I heard anything like that. I know for me I really should get 9 hours of sleep to work well. What about all of you? And do you think this is true for other NF types?

I have been tired ever since I can remember, despite checking into all the usual possibilities (iron, thyroid, vitamin deficiencies etc etc). In the summer if I wake up when I feel rested, it would usually be 9 hours from when I went to bed.

I find I can't get to sleep until everyone else in the house has gone to bed. I think it is because things are quiet and I can think. Unfortunately that usually means going to bed late and getting up early.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I sleep very little. 6 hours a day ussally.
    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    St. Stephen took rocks and St. Sebastian took arrows. You only have to take some jerks on an internet forum. Nut up.

Phantonym

Unfortunately, I've had to restrict myself to 7-8 hours of sleep because I actually need to get work done. Otherwise, 9-10 hours would be the average bedtime for me. I just love to sleep and haven't connected it to my NFness before.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbows View Post
    I sleep very little. 6 hours a day ussally.
    +1 same here.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    infp

I'm a lot like you in that I usually do go to bed after everyone else in the house has. Typically I stay up into the early morning because I enjoy the quietness and the solitude of the night.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ?

I've had insomnia my entire life (an odd diagnosis of plain old insomnia, not connected with anything else) and I've taken something for it since I was 16. I think I used to do fine with very little sleep, but with the medication I generally need at least 7 hours to "feel good." It's been so long since I went without the medication, hard to know for sure how much sleep I would need now anyway.

i can sleep for 12 hours

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I can sleep for days. Literally. Or not sleep for days. Also literally. Actually I've been doing that for about a year now. Don't do it. Too much static in your head afterwards.

When life's less chaotic and I actually take care of myself, I'm best on 6-7 hours of sleep. 8's pushing it. Beyond that, I tend to feel quite groggy and unmotivated for the rest of the day, and likely go to bed early.

I dunno if it matters or not, in terms of relevance to the OP.. but.. my working memory and longterm memory seem to store more information than many of the people I interact with regularly. People have commented on my ability to accurately recall events/etc, ever since I was a kid. I can't accurately say it's "superior," but I rarely have trouble recalling a vast array of aspects of situations, information, etc. I can memorize entire scripts in about a week, if I'm doing a lot of work within it [either acting in any size role, or doing backstage work, like sound FX, and referring to the script for cues we can all agree on, etc. I'd often help people randomly with their lines throughout the production.. and I could always tell if someone had jumped a line, or it wasn't verbatim.. though usually that part doesn't matter.. I just saw it.] I've creeped out family members by describing flashes of memory from the brief time I lived in CT when I was a over a year old. I described a highchair to my mother, very specifically. Yellow paisely, plastic-like material. The seat was torn on one part and as uncomfortable to have my leg on. Anyway, that highchair was thrown out when we moved, before I turned 2. Other little things like that.
    Give me a phone number once and I'll never forget it. Longer sets of numbers, too. Like calling cards, or credit cards.
    It always frustrated me, though, that I could recall so many different things, kinds of details.. but for the life of me I couldn't recall formulas for equations in math.. or how to apply them.. Exams rolled around, & I'd mix up several formulas and make some bizarre attempt to complete my test.
    Teachers were pretty much like... "wtf? ...I don't even know.. what you did.."
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    XNFJ

I tend to sleep about 5-6 hours, and then catch up. I need the quiet time to myself to recharge after everyone else has gone to bed, and I like to be sure that everything is okay with everyone else (kids are sleeping, hubby is sleeping) before I feel okay to rest myself.

I am able to remember personal details about people that is sometimes really surprising - people ask me how I remembered who their best friend in elementary school, or whatever. I think that just has to do with my level of interest in others, but I could be wrong.

Enneagram

My sleep goes in cycles depending on my stress levels. There are nights that I will take extra time to veg depending on how I feel. I shoot for 6-8 hours every night.