User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Odd observation

MBTI
    ?

Default Odd observation

I've been reading through some of the What's My Type threads and just general threads that include a question between two types or functions. It seems like most responses to those questions tend to classify the questioner as a different type than the responder. Ps responding to a P/J question seem more likely to assign J to the questioner; NTs guess most NXs are NFs, etc...

Is is because...

1. Most people see themselves as a typical representative of their type, so they notice differences from themselves and assume the questioner is The Other?

or...

2. Some people instinctively defend the uniqueness of their type?

I'm thinking maybe the first explanation is more likely than the second. There's also the strong possibility that the whole observation is off - I only read through a handful of threads, so it's possible that it's more of a coincidence than a pattern.

Anyone else notice this though? Anyone know of any old threads that address it?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post
    I'm thinking maybe the first explanation is more likely than the second. There's also the strong possibility that the whole observation is off - I only read through a handful of threads, so it's possible that it's more of a coincidence than a pattern.
    Are the two explanations mutually exclusive?

garbage

"I don't think the way this person does, and I'm a [type]. Surely, then, this person isn't [type]."

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Yea, I noticed that, too.
    When people see that someone is typing someone else the same as their own type, I think they feel personally misunderstood- like accused of acting like the person they are trying to type.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

I noticed exactly the same! At the moment, I know someone who I don't like at all. In fact, I totally HATE that person. So I decided to type her and after a long time I realized she was ENFP, just like me. She had to be an ENFP, because she fit almost every single thing they say about ENFP's (except she isn't friendly and stuff). So I tried to think about things that made her some other type, but I couldn't find anything! I felt really ashamed about my type, so I tried to turn mine in something else as well, but that was kind of impossible, because every test I make says I'm an ENFP. But quite recently I found a solution! I decided to split every type into two different types: the stupid and the awesome version. So now I put that girl into the stupid ENFP category and then, of course, I put myself in the awesome category. So now I don't have to be embarrassed anymore, because we are two different types now after all!
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    ?

I like your solution. Plus, it would add color to some of the threads. When someone is trying to figure out their type, someone with more experience could jump in and say, "I think your [insert their personal type]. But, unlike me, you seem more like the stupid kind."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Part of it is using negative qualities to type people. "So-&-So is lazy & bland" and then people go "Ohhh, So-&-So must be an XXXX!" and then the XXXX types feel offended, as if their type is associated with being lazy & bland.
    It's natural to be defensive of something you identify closely with.

I sometimes like breaking a type down into functions because I think it helps dispel the stereotypes a bit, as you can view the type profile simply as a caricature and then see how individuals use their dominant functions. In that sense, "So-&-So" may not fit the XXXX profile (or maybe they do...), but certain qualities they possess may show that they prefer certain functions.

You also hear people say (including me ) that a person is likely an "unhealthy" XXXX, that way it's unoffensive to the other XXXX types, haha.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Part of it is using negative qualities to type people. "So-&-So is lazy & bland" and then people go "Ohhh, So-&-So must be an XXXX!" and then the XXXX types feel offended, as if their type is associated with being lazy & bland.
    It's natural to be defensive of something you identify closely with.
    This would make sense, but I also see it when the qualities being discussed are neutral or even positive. It's like people don't want to "share" their type with others, even if they have nothing against the person they're typing, or the qualities in question.

You also hear people say (including me ) that a person is likely an "unhealthy" XXXX, that way it's unoffensive to the other XXXX types, haha.
    Ahh... the politically correct way of calling someone the "stupid kind of XXXX."

garbage

Granted, in the Enneagram system, there are levels of healthiness for types. It actually makes sense to include them, if self-discovery and self-improvement is your goal.

Not so much for the business context that MBTI aims for..

..but, hey, in applying MBTI to the personal realm, it makes sense to classify people as "stupid" or "awesome."

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post
    I've been reading through some of the What's My Type threads and just general threads that include a question between two types or functions. It seems like most responses to those questions tend to classify the questioner as a different type than the responder. Ps responding to a P/J question seem more likely to assign J to the questioner; NTs guess most NXs are NFs, etc...

Is is because...

1. Most people see themselves as a typical representative of their type, so they notice differences from themselves and assume the questioner is The Other?

or...

2. Some people instinctively defend the uniqueness of their type?

Anyone else notice this though? Anyone know of any old threads that address it?
    I'ld say cause people aint machines. (as in I agree with what greed said, cant put it that way tho )
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]