User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by FC3S View Post
    If the world is against INFJs, how do you maintain that disposition without it leading to trauma?
    We don't. It is many years and many traumas till we sufficiently callous our tender spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
    I'm too awesome to get traumatized by another person's opinion.
    Meanwhile FC3S, we use our ESTP shadow to put up a brave front. See above.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    finally, i always wondered why i could not look people in the eyes very easily. all my life (until discovering i'm infj) i've felt slightly guilty or weird about this. i've tried to force myself, and do force myself with strangers or friends, etc., but overall prefer to keep my eyes downcast and not make eye contact even within my family. my pics on type c illustrate this! it just takes too much time and energy to look people in the eye all the time. i think this isn't good with my kids or husband, so i'm trying to make more effort in this regard, but it's not what i'd naturally do. as far as making eye contact with lovers, that's what's really difficult. almost impossible. i guess because it's just too revealing for me. my take on it is that i'm so open and pure raw intuition and feeling, that to bare my soul through my eyes feels like exposing a newborn's skin to burning hot sunshine.
    I did this when I was younger. Looking people in the eyes was very awkward and I couldn't stand the intensity. I've tried to put more effort in the eye contact during conversations since then.

I'm fascinated by other people's eyes. The eyes tell a whole story. I've also forced myself to look people in the eyes during coversations and now I just can't look away. It must be with my desire to be in control, to read between the lines and maybe get something more out of the conversation than just plain words. As for myself, I'm always trying to keep the look in my eyes sort of "guarded" or behind this invisible wall so I don't reveal that much about myself.

However, this makes the other person very uncomfortable. I call this the "Conversation deathstare" I try not to do it too much.

The eye thing is also why I hate when photographs are taken of me. I always look at people's eyes on the photographs. They're so revealing and I don't want to reveal myself that much.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Aderack View Post
    Just thought I should point out that on the front page, this topic appears as "The INFJ Facial...".
    I am so glad it's not just me who noticed that...

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

No one's yet said how a personality type can lead to consistant facial expressions.... which I think is what he's looking for?

I have NFC but it would be an interesting research question. IMO, the only way this could be real is if there is an interaction between the parts of the brain that determine/relate to type, and the part of the motor cortex that controls facial muscle tension. This also makes sense when you realize just how Clumsy INFJS are :P They shouldn't be given driver's licenses IMO!

On a related note, I think I have the "ENTJ female gaze" narrowed down, as well

EDIT: on second thought, there may not be a direct neural link, but rather the facial expression they used could be operantly conditioned over time, but that doesn't really explain the consistancy of the INFJ Gaze

MBTI
    fool

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    I did this when I was younger. Looking people in the eyes was very awkward and I couldn't stand the intensity. I've tried to put more effort in the eye contact during conversations since then.

I'm fascinated by other people's eyes. The eyes tell a whole story. I've also forced myself to look people in the eyes during coversations and now I just can't look away. It must be with my desire to be in control, to read between the lines and maybe get something more out of the conversation than just plain words. As for myself, I'm always trying to keep the look in my eyes sort of "guarded" or behind this invisible wall so I don't reveal that much about myself.

However, this makes the other person very uncomfortable. I call this the "Conversation deathstare" I try not to do it too much.

The eye thing is also why I hate when photographs are taken of me. I always look at people's eyes on the photographs. They're so revealing and I don't want to reveal myself that much.
    Get out of my head

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    On a related note, I think I have the "ENTJ female gaze" narrowed down, as well
    I like the idea of an ENTJ gaze... I'll have to look into this, a gaze can mean quite a fair bit to some people

Are INFPs better drivers than INFJs? I know it's kind of hard to approximate, ability is dependent upon the person and their own experiences, but anyways...
    5 3 9

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics

ENTJs have a gaze and demeanor which is what I normally use to type them.

I refer to it as forced mental projection
    ESTP - Definition: "Love" is making a shot to the knees of a target a 120 km away, with an aratech sniper rifle and tri-light scope.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Were INTJs have masterminds like the Joker or the surgeon-sadist in Saw, INFJs have saviors like Ghandi and Jesus.
    Not sure about other incarnations of Batman, but Ledger's Joker is ENTP.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I think a lot of that is how you express introversion. It's interesting how the same type shows things differently because the functions mix in different ways.
    yeah, i thought more about that after my post. that introversion probably has a LOT to do with feeling comfortable with eye contact. and throughout my life i've identified as more or less introverted, depending. interestingly, my friends are surprised to hear i'm introverted cuz around them i'm so engaged and talkative. however, about the eye contact, i feel it's more than the introversion involved in the desire to look away.

and i have different stares too. i have the hard core steely stare when i'm looking at someone speaking and listening to them intently, trying to understand them (this looks like i'm mad), and then i have the dreamy-i'm-not-seeing-anything-outward-and-i-just-might-trip-on-something stare that i get when i'm hiking and my mind is totally somewhere else.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INTP

My good friend is an INFJ woman. I have noticed over the years that I am always looking at her eyelids. She has very dramatic blue eyes and the longest blink time (while speaking) of anyone I have ever met. This is more of her 'social face' though. I think of it as her mask. She has told me before that she hates revealing anything personal about herself to anyone and will use her social skills to re-direct the conversation away from personal questions. She will look coy while speaking but shy at the same time. She typically has a fair amount of animation in her face and she will wear a deprecating half-smile while she speaks. While she is certainly capable of smirks they don't appear with the mask. When she is very comfortable with you or really worked up on a subject you can tell pretty easily because she suddenly targets you with those twin blue lasers and the half-smile entirely disappears from her face. Then you get real emotions. I recently watched a YouTube video of an INFJ woman and noticed very similar habits. Anecdotal I know...but that's my 2 cents.
    Introverted Intuitive Thinking Perceiving
    Strength of the preferences %
    67 38 12 11