User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

scrubbing the house!!! scrubbing the house you say!!! who are you!? who sent you!? go away!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ISFJ

If I had to talk in function terms I'd say catering to Se can be the most soothing. Vices, hobbies, whatever. Something that makes you stop worrying about the past or the future. If your body is busy with some form of pleasure your mind will turn off.

As far as actually facing the issue causing the anxiety...it's not always an option nor necessarily the best course of action. I'm a big believe in the "time heals all wounds" saying. After enough time shutting off the bad thoughts you'll consciously feel better. Subconscious is a powerful thing. You feed it good stuff and you'll feel better. You feed it bad stuff and you'll feel worse. Even worrying can get tiresome and difficult for the brain, after a while. Thankfully so. Otherwise people wouldn't overcome their problems.

I hope that didn't sound too BSy and made some sense :P

ETA: This is not to say people shouldn't face their problems. Just wanted to sound as "broader" as I could.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    that's totally what it is yeah...that ne paranoia loop...and the fi being very passionate about doing the exact right thing...or something.

i'm sorry you've been feeling unwell.
    chamomile tea might help a bit...or go to the health store and get some homeopathic calm pills...it's just herbs and they help.
    What Lady X is trying to say is...you wanna get yourself a big fat joint!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Eheh.

... No, honestly - I remember when I got stressed during exam term. The feeling of near panick, for instance, and scrubbing the bathroom, or the kitchen for a while-or-so really DID help my mind come back together.

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    that's totally what it is yeah...that ne paranoia loop...and the fi being very passionate about doing the exact right thing...or something.

i'm sorry you've been feeling unwell.
    chamomile tea might help a bit...or go to the health store and get some homeopathic calm pills...it's just herbs and they help.
    How ironic - my shuffle player cued up " Overkill" by Men at Work. lol

The Fi portion of it really torments me. I feel like I have to be SURE I'm making the best decision, no matter how many times I've gone over it. I feel so responsible for the things I do.

Thanks toots. I've been taking something for my stomach, and it happens to also be a strong sedative, so I've been on that for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Daily activities... such as garden work, scrubbing the house, watching soap operas, petting the pets, or moderate regular exercises, help.
    I do enjoy exercise. I try to get up and move as much as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    If I had to talk in function terms I'd say catering to Se can be the most soothing. Vices, hobbies, whatever. Something that makes you stop worrying about the past or the future. If your body is busy with some form of pleasure your mind will turn off.

As far as actually facing the issue causing the anxiety...it's not always an option nor necessarily the best course of action. I'm a big believe in the "time heals all wounds" saying. After enough time shutting off the bad thoughts you'll consciously feel better. Subconscious is a powerful thing. You feed it good stuff and you'll feel better. You feed it bad stuff and you'll feel worse. Even worrying can get tiresome and difficult for the brain, after a while. Thankfully so. Otherwise people wouldn't overcome their problems.

I hope that didn't sound too BSy and made some sense :P

What Lady X is trying to say is...you wanna get yourself a big fat joint!
    Good advice, Thanks, Sy.

lol.... a close ENTP friend of mine tells me I need to have him lock me in the car with him while he tokes up. He's a pretty relaxed guy. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Eheh.

... No, honestly - I remember when I got stressed during exam term. The feeling of near panick, for instance, and scrubbing the bathroom, or the kitchen for a while-or-so really DID help my mind come back together.
    You know, I used to do that. I would get so upset about something, I would scrub anything I could get my hands on. That bathtub was never cleaner!

MBTI
    GONE

Lady Jaye! I know exactly how that feels - at least for this particular ENFP.

I used to have trouble with true chronic anxiety including social anxiety and OCD tendencies in my teens to early 20s, I think it was all the hormones of youth + ENFP super Fi overload which didn't equip me well for my life at the time. It didn't help that I would hold things in and try to handle everything myself (this was a learned coping mechanism/handicap as I didn't feel I had external supports) - it merely masked the anxiety (sometimes) and prolonged the anxiety phase of my life. So I'm glad you at least feel comfortable reaching out and sharing how you feel.

In my case, there was also shame associated with the anxiety which fed into more anxiety which is already fundamentally fear, because it was related to feeling like my environment was hostile (yes, I understand that feeling!) and that I did not deserve to be treated well and was unable to to really do anything about it and live my life the way that I wanted to.

Generally these days, older and wiser, I'm not as anxious as a person, but I am! In fact I'm an enneagram wing 6 meaning I'm 'vigilant' and on the look out constantly for danger etc.

While I'm generally even-keeled, certain things can really set off my anxiety, like the combination of my parents' visit and my neighbor who started pounding on my wall while they were here.

Everything becomes a full-blown worst case scenario, in each ending I always end up making the situation worse and escalating it into major FAIL. It gets really crazy and a small part of me knows I'm being ridiculous but the fear and anxiety control me and I focus on the worst case scenario. I get stuck in the loop Amargith mentioned. And the situation itself (if specific that is setting me off) is waaaaaaay overblown in significance or direness.

The only things I've found that have helped me is to directly take control of my situation and confront the person/situation that is causing me anxiety, to talk to reasonable people whom I trust who can talk me off the ledge and put things in perspective, and to just hang out with confident self-sufficient people who I know can handle their own problems whose company I enjoy and their presence and "acting normal" for a while can calm me.

Leaving the house, doing a distracting acivity, getting a change of scene, for me this only if anything temporarily lessens the anxiety a bit but doesn't cure it. When I'm anxious, I get very distracted and am preoccupied by anxiety, so in some ways, I just go through my day in a dream and go through the motions of not being anxious. It's not helpful. I've also tried working out - when coupled with the loss of appetite that can happen with great anxiety - it's an awesome way to crash diet (this is sarcasm) but doesn't help with the anxiety, it just literally tires me out until I don't have the energy to be as anxious.

I think going someplace calm and expansive, like a state park could help put things into perspective. But again, for me, it's usually being around other people and asking them for their POV that helps me the most.

Being around uplifting/calming people who are NOT anxious themselves and doing something that they enjoy (and that I normally would enjoy if not anxious) is the most helpful activity other than directly confronting the source of anxiety for me.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Focus on something outside yourself.
    I agree totally. Although rare, when I get anxious to the point of being uncomfortable, I can resolve it best when I act upon that which is causing me anxiety. ACTIONS resolve my negative thoughts, CORRECTIVE ACTIONS that is. Maybe that's an ESTP thing, I don't know.

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Lady Jaye! I know exactly how that feels - at least for this particular ENFP.

I used to have trouble with true chronic anxiety including social anxiety and OCD tendencies in my teens to early 20s, I think it was all the hormones of youth + ENFP super Fi overload which didn't equip me well for my life at the time. It didn't help that I would hold things in and try to handle everything myself (this was a learned coping mechanism/handicap as I didn't feel I had external supports) - it merely masked the anxiety (sometimes) and prolonged the anxiety phase of my life. So I'm glad you at least feel comfortable reaching out and sharing how you feel.
    That's exactly how I feel. I'm always having to be the "go to girl", to step up and handle things, and that makes me feel even more pressure to do "the right thing", like a failure is not an option. I fear the fall out of a "bad" decision. I don't put off making them, but it's an agonizing process.

You mentioned being vigilant - I am extremely so, as well. I know it's probably true of most ENFP's, but I feel like I'm constantly trying to avert a disaster. All the while knowing that I'm human and can't possibly control everything.

Being around uplifting/calming people who are NOT anxious themselves and doing something that they enjoy (and that I normally would enjoy if not anxious) is the most helpful activity other than directly confronting the source of anxiety for me.
    Normally that works for me too. I don't know why I feel so particularly ill-equipped this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I agree totally. Although rare, when I get anxious to the point of being uncomfortable, I can resolve it best when I act upon that which is causing me anxiety. ACTIONS resolve my negative thoughts, CORRECTIVE ACTIONS that is. Maybe that's an ESTP thing, I don't know.
    I'm all about hitting things head on, too. That's been part of the problem. Trying to fix things that can't be resolved right now - so I end up ruminating on them, as if worrying were something that could cure a problem.