• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Difference between INFP and INTP

Redbud

MBTI Type
INTP
Hello NF's!

I am looking for some ideas about what sets INTP's and INFP's apart. I realize it is one line-the one that forms the F out of a T-but I am looking for some specific behaviors.

For instance both are given an assignment to write ad copy about a company product. The product is a pencil. The INTP *might* write about the size, color, chemical makeup of the lead (graphite etc.) and how it effects performance, factory process to produce the wood stem if it is an improvement of some kind, number in the box, price compared to the competition, where it can purchased, etc.

What might an INFP write?

Do all INFP's like poetry?

Do all INFP's feel like they are sensitive?

Thank you for your input!

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What might an INFP write? That depends entirely on what the specifications would be, since no one wants to let their company down. If it was per say a new pencil that should be used in place of the ones we have now that would also effect the answer. In short, this isn't a type specific question, but a question relating to individuals.

Do all INFP's like poetry? No, why would they?

Do all INFP's feel like they are sensitive? I don't know, you'd probably have to ask all of us. That also depends entirely on the definition of "sensitive" you're asking, the stereotyped meaning of sensitive doesn't apply to me.

whimsical

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram

>>>I would write about how the pencil could help you, how it is the perfect companion. Also maybe some of the great improved features of the pencil and how it is unique from other pencils.

>>>I love poetry.

>>>I am quite sensitive inside, although I might not show it depending on who I am with.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For instance both are given an assignment to write ad copy about a company product. The product is a pencil. The INTP *might* write about the size, color, chemical makeup of the lead (graphite etc.) and how it effects performance, factory process to produce the wood stem if it is an improvement of some kind, number in the box, price compared to the competition, where it can purchased, etc.

Questions like these don't say much, there's just far too much potential for overlap.

Not all INTPs always take the technical route.
Not all INFPs take the personal route.
It's easy for both to focus on the tech specs if they want, here.

But it's also more likely that both the INTP and INFP, for ad copy, will engage Ne more than their primary and end up looking a lot alike.

I think a better check would be providing a relational scenario of some sort and asking each how they would handle it.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For instance both are given an assignment to write ad copy about a company product. The product is a pencil.

I actually write ad copy & design ads, and I would write minimal verbiage. Effective advertising usually relies more on images and a few key words & phrases to catch the reader's attention. Quite honestly, advertising appeals more to the emotions than logic also. You have to make people feel they need something they probably don't need.

I personally like poetry a lot.

I never felt I was sensitive; I felt others were insensitive. It annoyed me to be called sensitive because I felt it was a dismissal of my view point as invalid simply because it involves feeling. After being told by many people I am sensitive (particularly to criticism), I have accepted that I am. I see it as a positive and one of the things that makes me a creative person.

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
INFP vs INTP

emphatically agree with Jennifer's post.

OP, let me know when you figure the difference out -- i myself am wondering!

(i was fairly confident i was INFP - the result i got in my psych I class, but i re-tested yesterday and scored 50/50 on the T/F matrix.. anyone have any insights? i am new to in-depth MBTI stuff, so.. )

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
(i was fairly confident i was INFP - the result i got in my psych I class, but i re-tested yesterday and scored 50/50 on the T/F matrix.. anyone have any insights? i am new to in-depth MBTI stuff, so.. )

If you agree with the INFP description you are one. I myself am 50/50 on all preferences. Don't pull this INXP crap either. :D

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
you mean there isnt a multiple personality type indicator?

Redbud

MBTI Type
INTP
Questions like these don't say much, there's just far too much potential for overlap.

Not all INTPs always take the technical route.
Not all INFPs take the personal route.
It's easy for both to focus on the tech specs if they want, here.

But it's also more likely that both the INTP and INFP, for ad copy, will engage Ne more than their primary and end up looking a lot alike.

I think a better check would be providing a relational scenario of some sort and asking each how they would handle it.

It's easy for both to focus on the tech specs if they want, here. This is actually part of my question. IS it easy? Can either type go back and forth and produce a similar looking document? Or does the INTP's ad copy look forced (or wordy) and the INFP's technical document too non-specific or whatever? Interesting point about either working from the Ne.

I think a better check would be providing a relational scenario of some sort and asking each how they would handle it I didn't mean to be trite and I'm open to ideas? I chose writing because it seemed to be something that both types had in common, and dare I say, were passionate about.

Why would all INFP's Like Poetry? Beats the heck out of me-but most descriptions I've run across seem to include a love of poetry for the INFP and math for the INTP. Personally I can't stand either subject so I was curious.

I might be doing it again but here is another scenario: my INFJ friend and I have very different views about nanny cams. Her belief is that they are a violation of the employer/employee relationship/trust and that if the employer trusts the nanny with their children out and about then they should trust them within the home as well. Furthermore if they feel like they have to put a camera in the house then they shouldn't hire that nanny to begin with. My thinking on the other hand is that as long as it does not violate any laws and the cameras are not placed in the nanny's personal areas then the parents are absolutely within their rights to have these safeguards for their children. Trust is not the issue-nor is the relationship with the nanny. IMO a nanny-cam is just a precaution.

What is your take on the topic and do you think it is based in type?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's easy for both to focus on the tech specs if they want, here. This is actually part of my question. IS it easy? Can either type go back and forth and produce a similar looking document? Or does the INTP's ad copy look forced (or wordy) and the INFP's technical document too non-specific or whatever? Interesting point about either working from the Ne.

I don't think with this particular document you suggested that you will be able to separate anyone but extreme INTPs from extreme INFPs -- anyone moderate (i.e., the average person) will be within the gray area.

But my attempt at compromise here: my fellow tech writer here is an INFP and she's less logical and more anal than me. We still produce similar quality documents, there's just not a lot of variation there, but when we dicker about technical writing, she seems fixated on details that matter less to me (I think it's her Te) and also gets hung up on things that seem arbitrary (her Fi) vs my need get the inherent structure of the document(s) right (Ti).

I decided to leave the tech writing to her and now I do report layout instead. :)

I think a better check would be providing a relational scenario of some sort and asking each how they would handle it I didn't mean to be trite and I'm open to ideas? I chose writing because it seemed to be something that both types had in common, and dare I say, were passionate about.

Pencils? :huh:

Redbud

MBTI Type
INTP
Forgot to add-I asked about being sensitive because I've run across it so many times in INFP descriptions but I always wondered how the authors came to that conclusion. Did they ask the INFP's what they thought or did they just insult them to see what would happen? At the same time, I've read that INTP's are sensitive to criticism that reflects on their competency. Seems like a lot of things could be taken this way-making an INTP appear 'sensitive'. So what is the difference?

Redbud

MBTI Type
INTP
Thanks for the explanation Jennifer. That is something to think about.

Pencils?
:rofl1:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Can either type go back and forth and produce a similar looking document? Or does the INTP's ad copy look forced (or wordy) and the INFP's technical document too non-specific or whatever?

From typelogic:
Some INFPs have a gift for taking technical information and putting it into layman's terms.

Maybe non-specific to you is "layman's terms" to others; writing it in a way so that someone who is a non-expert can get a decent grasp of the information.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Forgot to add-I asked about being sensitive because I've run across it so many times in INFP descriptions but I always wondered how the authors came to that conclusion. Did they ask the INFP's what they thought or did they just insult them to see what would happen? At the same time, I've read that INTP's are sensitive to criticism that reflects on their competency. Seems like a lot of things could be taken this way-making an INTP appear 'sensitive'. So what is the difference?

I've found INTPs to be quite sensitive also, or at least they don't handle criticism very well. The difference may be that INFPs are also sensitive to others & their feelings. INTPs seem a little obtuse in that area.

Redbud

MBTI Type
INTP
From typelogic:
Some INFPs have a gift for taking technical information and putting it into layman's terms.

Maybe non-specific to you is "layman's terms" to others; writing it in a way so that someone who is a non-expert can get a decent grasp of the information.

er...in case I offended let me be a bit more specific. I don't have a problem with INFP technical writers nor do I find INFP writers to be non-specific. My understanding is that as a group they are supposed to comprise some of the greatest writers in the world. I was just trying to figure out what the opposite of an overly wordy and dry technical document would look like...since INTP's are said to be driven to be precise...I was looking for the other side. I'm not really sure what the Fi negative side looks like and an overly emotional technical document doesn't seem likely?

Going back to Jennifer's comment though maybe pencils were just a bad idea.

"On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. Tis a silly place...Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about, and valiantly, he chickened out."

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
INTPs and EXACTLY the same as INFPs. It's all slight of hand/internet.

That is all. Thank you.:jew:<--(sage)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
er...in case I offended let me be a bit more specific. I don't have a problem with INFP technical writers nor do I find INFP writers to be non-specific.

No, you didn't offend me at all. I was just offering an insight as to how an INFP may go about technical writing.

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Sounds to me the opening question is asking 'What are you doing wrong that INTPs do right'.

INTPs have this weird circular reasoning when chasing tangents. It is so bad it has festered to the point it smells - good god does it smell.

INFPs lack this. I can give them the proverbial smackdown and they come back and try even harder. I'm impressed.

[Edit] Good god FC, it's good god, not good good.

Redbud

MBTI Type
INTP
Sounds to me the opening question is asking 'What are you doing wrong that INTPs do right'.

INTPs have this weird circular reasoning when chasing tangents. It is so bad it has festered to the point it smells - good god does it smell.

INFPs lack this. I can give them the proverbial smackdown and they come back and try even harder. I'm impressed.

[Edit] Good god FC, it's good god, not good good.

I'm sorry you read the question that way. That was not my intention at all. Sounds like you have some INTP issues-sorry if you have had bad experiences. My interest is only in sparking a discussion about visible behaviors that might set an INTP apart from INFP since most of the junk that defines them seems to be internal. It has been pointed out to me-and I have acknowledged-that I used a bad example. Perhaps others can come up with some better ones using their experience on this board.