User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Swaying between INFJ - INFP

um...

I've been having a little problem with my own personality; for times I've been regularly checking my personality (in a sense of "ooh what am I now?") and the result is I keep swaying between INFJ and INFP. Of course, the percentage is rather borderline (40-60% max) but...

um...I understand that human personality always change, and that my mood, feelings, other mental and emotional functions changes everytime and it might affect the result of the test but the thing I'm wondering is:

Is it good to have this kind of personality? What should I do with this?

I've read the recently made INFJ / INFP Distinction and had begun to read INFJorINFP.com but I still want to know what caused the change (especially in oneself)..

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Trefle View Post
    Is it good to have this kind of personality?
    Is it that bad to have 60/40 J/P or P/J? There's nothing wrong with being borderline.

I still want to know what caused the change (especially in oneself)..
    This did the trick:
    human personality always change, and that my mood, feelings, other mental and emotional functions changes everytime and it might affect the result of the test
    Tests are often inaccurate. Take a look at the dichotomies and functions and whatever feels right at the moment, is right. All are present in your personality, the percentages change exactly because of what you said above.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

You could be naturally inclined to P but raised in a very J environment. That's one theory. I'm sure there are lots of other reasons why this occurs - for example, being an INFP with high Ni and Fe like me. My highest cognitive functions are Fi and Ne, but my Ni is almost as high (if not sometimes higher) as my Ne, and my Fe is still stronger than some. Those are my four strongest functions, in fact.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Is it that bad to have 60/40 J/P or P/J? There's nothing wrong with being borderline.
    On a hand, there's really nothing wrong, in fact it might be good (that I'm not so...J, which might be bad) but... on the other hand, I feel like..."so WHAT exactly ARE you?"

[/quote]
    Tests are often inaccurate. Take a look at the dichotomies and functions and whatever feels right at the moment, is right. All are present in your personality, the percentages change exactly because of what you said above.[/QUOTE]
    I guess you're right; but I am still bothered by what might caused this. What part of an INFJ that might changed and turned into more P? At which point will I turned into INFP, and how? Also vice versa, how could one "reverse" this change and go back to INFJ?
    You could be naturally inclined to P but raised in a very J environment. That's one theory. I'm sure there are lots of other reasons why this occurs - for example, being an INFP with high Ni and Fe like me. My highest cognitive functions are Fi and Ne, but my Ni is almost as high (if not sometimes higher) as my Ne, and my Fe is still stronger than some. Those are my four strongest functions, in fact.
    Hmm, if "orders" were a factor, I -am- raised in an "ordering", perhaps typical Asian family with more drama and tension so it all goes...very "ordering".

But due to that, I actually tried to 'perceive' more; to learn to understand the workings behind, the motives, all those backgrounds, so maybe it's due to that?

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

I feel nearly 50% across the board a lot. Though more I and more N. Every person has a personality 'base' that is swayed by a gamut of things. I took forever to settle on a type that fit, and that came from knowing what the functions did and knowing myself. It was a great learning experience.

I'm just the kind of person who loves balance within areas where balance is good. Every day I constantly change the weights on my personality scale to keep it as balance as possible, though the weak Se/Si always causes problems. I dont even bother trying to develop those. It's like handling a snake and I always get bitten.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

MBTI
    INFJ

Skyward: I am exactly the same. Strong Introversion Intuitive, almost dead even on T/F, J/P. It's hard to get who you are personality-wise and it's really frustrating to me to not have a definitive I AM THIS TYPE sometimes.

If you find you're obsessing over your exact type and thinking about it entirely too much, you probably lean more towards INFJ. :P

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm pretty even on P/J as well, I think your problem can be however explained by this.

P types will want to leave larger, more important decisions open ended. They may (depending on how preferred they are) want to be final and organized about smaller decisions in their lives.

J types will want to make larger, more important decisions final. They may (depending on how preferred they are) want to leave smaller decisions open ended or not have a plan about them.

This may help you. You may "shift" because of the priority of your decision making, making you want some things final and some things open ended.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

For awhile I had a dilemma between INFJ and INFP, as well. What broke the tie more than anything else was asking myself whether I was more of an individualist or someone who is focused on society. INFPs are concerned mainly with personal issues like finding a purpose in life, staying true to themselves, and self-understanding. Because of their auxiliary Fe, INFJs are far more apt to focus on social issues like finding their role in the community, fighting injustice, and reaching out to people. Most INFPs and INFJs will share some of these traits, but by deciding which one is the stronger force in your life, you can determine which type you most relate to.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    J types will want to make larger, more important decisions final. They may (depending on how preferred they are) want to leave smaller decisions open ended or not have a plan about them.
    Hmm, that sounds more like me, and I am definitely an INFP.

----------

I think it can help to look at how J and P affect the other letters. Do you have Fe or Fi? Ni or Ne?

I think Fi and Fe is the easiest to make the distinction with. An INFJ possesses Fe (extroverted feeling) and an INFP possesses Fi (introverted feeling). Roughly put, Fi is more concerned with internal feelings, and Fe is more about external harmony. An INFJ may seek group harmony by emphasizing propriety (ie. being polite), and an INFP may tend to be less in tune with social graces and be more interested in promoting individual inner-peace (both within themselves & others).
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Hmm, that sounds more like me, and I am definitely an INFP.
    That's really from what I've heard honestly. Just a theory.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)