First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahNounBlah View Post
    Strange that an ENTP can't control his aggression. ENTPs don't tend to get angry, and when they do, it's short-lived.

Are you mistyped?
    I think I'm noticing a trend of false perception of mistyped ENTPs because there's a stereotype that they don't get angry and aren't aggressive.

This is very true of most female ENTPs that I've encountered here, and most older male ENTPs--but ENTPs in general are known for maturing slowly.

And testosterone + gender expectations (Fe hasn't yet developed much and so the ENTP can be unaware of its effects, especially given the overemphasis on "rationality" that young NTs often exhibit) can lead to anger/aggression issues in young ENTP males much more commonly than you seem to think. Personally, I tend to indulge in Se as an escape when I'm feeling incompetent because I'm overanalyzing/self-criticizing my behavior or thought patterns too much...it helps me unwind by temporarily letting my mind escape its own thoughts/ease the uncomfortable feeling of incompetence.

They grow out of it, but ask anyone who's had an ENTP son and you'll hear some horror stories about aggressive overcompensation when they see someone as being stupid or unintelligent, and especially if that person has control over them. ENTPs hate being controlled.

Some of us take a long time to balance out emotionally.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

I rarely get angry, and I'm a young male. I don't think there is all that much that can piss me off, and when there is, I'll make a joke of it. The enneagram might be a bit more relevant in this circumstance, I would bet that a 7w8 ENTP would be a fair bit more aggressive than a 7w6.
    5 3 9

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    I think I'm noticing a trend of false perception of mistyped ENTPs because there's a stereotype that they don't get angry and aren't aggressive.
    I used to be such an angry little fuck. It just never lasted long and I never cared much about revenge or retaliation after the fact, but if you caught me in the moment... It definitely happens to us women too.

But I also had a shitty childhood and could have been considered "unhealthy" up until a certain point.

And I'm still considered to be quite aggressive, even if I don't think so about myself. (7w8)

I'm rarely angry anymore, though.

I only very rarely get "truly" angry, myself. Most of the time anger comes in the form of minor irritations I can shrug off and forget in a matter of hours. But when I do get very angry, it usually all culminates in a series of massive explosions that almost always end in social disaster. I think, however, that I generally have a looser grip on my anger/aggression than the typical ENTP because I was diagnosed with both Cyclothymia (results in hypomanic states, leading to a marked lack of judgment and tact, etc.) and ADHD at a very young age. All of that working together beneath the surface (along with my own issues and misconceptions) tends towards impulsiveness x ?.
    Naked on a mountaintop. Brb.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Glad things got sorted, Catty. *nods* Sometimes I think, even as an Extrovert, you can run into Introverts of any type that will assume debate/playful goading/raised voice = angry. You have to make it clear that you're not trying to roll her over like a rogue wave.

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    I used to be such an angry little fuck. It just never lasted long and I never cared much about revenge or retaliation after the fact, but if you caught me in the moment... It definitely happens to us women too.

But I also had a shitty childhood and could have been considered "unhealthy" up until a certain point.

And I'm still considered to be quite aggressive, even if I don't think so about myself. (7w8)

I'm rarely angry anymore, though.
    I wish I had known you then. We could be angry together. (But secretly, lots of hugs for you too. )

I had (still have) a very close ENTP friend. We used to be the only punks on campus. He was the real deal too - no Hot Topic fad. He thought I was a scary harpy until he met me, and I assumed he was some sort of trashbag. After we met though, it was like instant friendship. It was fun trying to figure out to hug him without putting my eye out on the spikes and pins and studs on his biker jacket. haha... The understanding was mutual. We both came from a very hard ugly place, and we were both trying so truly to remain human in spite of how angry we both were.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    I used to be such an angry little fuck. It just never lasted long and I never cared much about revenge or retaliation after the fact, but if you caught me in the moment
    Have you heard the news? This actually makes you an ESFP.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh brotherr.................

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Actually, I've been told it makes me an ENFJ (no joke).

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Get out of our ENFJ club, you impostor! *laughs*
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

OP:

I'm a 28 M INFJ. I agree with sanveane...

Quote Originally Posted by sanveane View Post
    .. if I were moderating I would tire of having to address a recurring problem if we had talked in depth about it a few times. I would keep trying out of a sense of responsibility but I wouldn't feel invested in someone at that point. I would be somewhat distant. As I am quite accustomed to the feeling of sudden disconnect, it's not really hard to overcome. All it takes for me to be initially accessible again is the for the other person to say, "I'm trying" or the like.

If you haven't already done so, it would be helpful if you told her that you aren't angry when you are being aggressive. Help her understand your style of communication/debating.

I especially agree that it'd be good to show the INFJ that you're making effort. Not be a burden. Having to readdress a problem numerous times tells me the other person involved either doesn't care or simply doesn't want to change - which makes me want to start putting distance between us.

That doesn't sound like you though, so I'd be up front and honest with her about what you're thinking about. What've you got to lose?