• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] INFJ/INFP: Distinctions?

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I realize that the most obvious difference between these two types is the INFJ likes to plan, while the INFP is more improvisational. But since the code is more than the sum of its parts, what would be some other major differences caused by this one letter difference?

heart

heart on fire
A difference I notice between my husband and myself.

I have no problem making plans. I'll make a detailed but tenative plan but if something happens and I have to improvise, I'll do it. I may not like it but I'll do it. I might also just veto the whole plan, start over. Give up. etc. Nothing is set in stone.

He will procrastinate and get perfectionistic about his plans but once made those plans are iron clad and he stays straight as arrow true to them and it just destroys his peace of mind if he has to change his plan once he has it in place.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
there's a site called infjorinfp.com and it's actually what led me to taking more cognitive function tests and coming on here and finding out that I'm an infp...the woman who created it annoys me a little bit, but there are some interesting contrasts of the two types on the site

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A few random observations:

Both tend to have strong ethical beliefs about doing good for society in general. Both are extremely attentive to ethics, but INFJs are more susceptible to changing those beliefs based on the moral standards of their surroundings.

INFPs are more passive about it; they're content to just go along as they please and help people or make a difference however they can when the opportunity happens to come up. If the opportunity doesn't come up, oh well--as long as they haven't violated their principles, they're generally fine.

INFJs come off as a little more neurotic, because they seem to feel guilty if they aren't doing "enough good." The ones who are only moderately introverted will learn to act more like ENFJs in their dealings with others, but often the extremely introverted ones let shyness get in the way and end up internalizing the problem and actually making themselves physically sick from feeling so strongly about their moral causes.

That's kind of a bad case, so don't take it as representative of most INFJs, but looking at an extreme case is conceptually useful for highlighting the more moderated behaviors observed in less extreme individuals.

Incidentally, a band I play with contains an INFP and an INFJ who really don't much like each other or get along at all. I've had a lot of time to study their interactions, and it's a strain sometimes because they'll both continually misinterpret the intent behind the statements of the other and it escalates into this passive-aggressive "don't tread on me" battle.

I suppose this could be Fe vs. Fi?

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
I notice INFPs are "bubbling inside" whereas it's much easier for INFJs to express emotions. I literally choke myself in anger, happiness, stress because it just never comes out. When it does, it's excessive.For example, when I'm overly happy it's barely readable until I suddenly let it out on some unsuspecting victim. :laugh:They usually are disturbed by the out of the blue expression and don't seem to share it with me :p. I remember someone hugging me because I yelled at him after having known him for about three years:
"Omg I've never seen you get mad in my life before!"(kind of out of place! lol!)
I think Vicky Jo mentioned it in the site.

That's just one big difference I noticed.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A difference I notice between my husband and myself.

I have no problem making plans. I'll make a detailed but tenative plan but if something happens and I have to improvise, I'll do it. I may not like it but I'll do it. I might also just veto the whole plan, start over. Give up. etc. Nothing is set in stone.

He will procrastinate and get perfectionistic about his plans but once made those plans are iron clad and he stays straight as arrow true to them and it just destroys his peace of mind if he has to change his plan once he has it in place.
I'm on the fence with the P/J scoring very low on J. I strongly identify with the first paragraph in bold. I am organized and plan out all kinds of contingencies, but am quite flexible as a person. For example, I am in my late 30s and have a new domestic setting. I have completely changed how I relate to money to fit with my new environment. I can change quite fundamental aspects of myself if it is optimal for survival. My mom was the most spontaneous, adaptable person I have ever known, and so I think I am more adaptable than the average person from her influence. I use my organizational skills to maximize flexibility if that makes sense.

Here's a good metaphor from my life to demonstrate organized flexibility. Growing up we moved at least twenty times before the time i graduated high school. I was accepting of the changes, but it was also me who organized and packed the car. Even at age eight, I was dubbed, Super-Packer.

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ
infjorinfp.com
Reading through this site, I was more confident about my J for pages of information but then I got to this part of the site:

I think it's nearly impossible for INFJs to "disconnect" from the humanity around them. They overhear arguments and crying babies and flirting and all manner of interactions within the slightest earshot. Public transportation and restaurants can be raw experiences, depending on what kind of interactions they "tune" into. (Unless they're trying to solve a problem, of course, at which point INFJs can shut out everything like closing a door!)

On the other hand, INFP's Fi (introverted Feeling) is tuned into their inner values. They possess the ability to "disconnect" from what's going on around them and shut everything out in order to commune with themselves without interruption.

On that same note, I believe an important INFJ/INFP difference might be that INFPs are good at deciding what they need or want and choosing what is best for themselves. In contrast, INFJs are superb at figuring out what others want and what is right for them (without asking!). In the reverse, INFPs sometimes assume others want the same thing they do, while INFJs can go into a tailspin trying to figuring out what's best for themselves. INFPs are SELF-centered, while INFJs are OTHER-centered.

I am completely an INFP in this scenario. Anyone else totally not their type in some way?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Incidentally, a band I play with contains an INFP and an INFJ who really don't much like each other or get along at all. I've had a lot of time to study their interactions, and it's a strain sometimes because they'll both continually misinterpret the intent behind the statements of the other and it escalates into this passive-aggressive "don't tread on me" battle.

absolutely my experience with infps--and i've interacted with several in person. while i appreciate their artistic talents, and their loyalty, i seem to always hurt their feelings when i had no intent to hurt their feelings. i mean, they can take issue with any 'little' thing, whereas i just want to glean the general idea, not get bogged in the details. then i have to deal with the backlash from all that, which feels like them being passive-aggressive, and i just really don't like wasting time making people understand me, beyond a time or two, as it's not efficient. i've had to endure many infps in my life retaliate heatedly onto me because they have misconstrued the intent of my meaning. we just clash as close friends, and as debators can go round and round in meaningless circles.

i think that may be it. details versus general idea. as infj i just need to be able to say something and have the gist of it received and acknowledged. i have no desire to iron out every detail. i mean, my Fe can peg an infp a mile away anymore.

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1

I've only known a few INFPs, but I don't find that I get along with them especially well. I think it is partly Fe vs. Fi...at least value-wise, Fi seems more subjective and inflexible to me. I'm much more apt to consider alternate viewpoints and strong logical arguments than some INFPs. On the other hand, I envy their strongly held values, because sometimes it feels like I can be reasoned out of most of mine. In any case, there's the possibility for communication problems. I've also experienced the passive-aggressive vibe between INFJ/INFP.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I notice INFPs are "bubbling inside" whereas it's much easier for INFJs to express emotions. I literally choke myself in anger, happiness, stress because it just never comes out. When it does, it's excessive.For example, when I'm overly happy it's barely readable until I suddenly let it out on some unsuspecting victim. :laugh:They usually are disturbed by the out of the blue expression and don't seem to share it with me :p. I remember someone hugging me because I yelled at him after having known him for about three years:
"Omg I've never seen you get mad in my life before!"(kind of out of place! lol!)
I think Vicky Jo mentioned it in the site.

That's just one big difference I noticed.

Haha, same! When I get mad people get excited. "OMG I never heard you say that ever! Do it again!" XD My INFJ is just blunt and to the point. She's much less...er, over-the-top? :blush:

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
^ Me too! It's always memorable for bystanders the first time I drop the F-bomb - jaws drop for a one-mile radius! People "love" seeing this naughty side of me - they think I never get angry I guess!

But I can't shut out the world as mentioned earlier. Mission impossible. Much more Fe that way. In those cognitive function tests, my Fi / Fe test as almost equally developed.

MrRandom

MBTI Type
INFJ
I remember getting annoyed with Vicky Jo when she basically stated on that INFJ/INFP site that no INFJ ever wears mismatching socks, they're always INFP. It felt a little harsh, black and white. I'm an INFJ and I wear mismatching socks. It's fun and quirky and most important of all, it's easy (my sock collection is a mess!)