User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 109

  1. #11
    Member Nyota's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Halla pretty much summed it up...

    Being one of those idealistic INFJs, I really hope I am satisfied with my marriage.
    INFj. 4w5.
    Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one!'
    --C.S. Lewis

  2. #12
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    A few thoughts:

    1. INFPs and INFJs are the most statistically likely to marry their ESTJ / ESTP opposites. Opposite marriages tend to be the most statistically likely to be unhappy, though.

    2. Many INF_s don't have very realistic expectations of how a relationship works in the real world. About once every week or three I see a post by a young INF_ who is setting themselves up for future relationship dissatisfaction.

    3. INF_s usually need to learn the hard way that they need to modify their values to fit into the real world (and not the other way around). 99% of young INF_s simply aren't ready to take the advice of those that have already been there - they need to experience it and go through the pain themselves. If they happen to marry before learning this lesson...

    4. Both types are prone to avoid conflict until things go "too far", at which point mending the relationship becomes an epic task. Confronting issues as soon as they occur - don't let them fester.

    5. Both types can remain in a bad relationship way too long. INF_s take pride in their ability to judge people and potential, and it takes a great big bite of humble pie to admit we were wrong, or that the situation has changed and no longer fits the ideal.

    It's an art - melding internal, dreamy idealism with the sometimes harsh realities of the real world. Embrace it, as together they are a powerful mixture. The INF_s that I've seen happiest in marriage have perfected this art.

  3. #13
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    A few thoughts:

    1. INFPs and INFJs are the most statistically likely to marry their ESTJ / ESTP opposites. Opposite marriages tend to be the most statistically likely to be unhappy, though.

    2. Many INF_s don't have very realistic expectations of how a relationship works in the real world. About once every week or three I see a post by a young INF_ who is setting themselves up for future relationship dissatisfaction.

    3. INF_s usually need to learn the hard way that they need to modify their values to fit into the real world (and not the other way around). 99% of young INF_s simply aren't ready to take the advice of those that have already been there - they need to experience it and go through the pain themselves. If they happen to marry before learning this lesson...

    4. Both types are prone to avoid conflict until things go "too far", at which point mending the relationship becomes an epic task. Confronting issues as soon as they occur - don't let them fester.

    5. Both types can remain in a bad relationship way too long. INF_s take pride in their ability to judge people and potential, and it takes a great big bite of humble pie to admit we were wrong, or that the situation has changed and no longer fits the ideal.
    true, what you are saying. but when you look at a 50% divorce rate (if that is accurate--i'm spouting what i've 'heard'), it appears all types are guilty of the aforementioned, and that the prob of infj pairing is probably a miniscule, infinitesimal part of the overall problems in relating one-on-one.

    It's an art - melding internal, dreamy idealism with the sometimes harsh realities of the real world. Embrace it, as together they are a powerful mixture. The INF_s that I've seen happiest in marriage have perfected this art.
    my new mantra. thank you!
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  4. #14
    4x9 cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,931

    Default

    Can't speak from experience, but I can write about why marriage worries me and why I sometimes think I'm not cut out for it. I don't know if what I write is going to be about 'idealism' or not -- as that word is thrown around so much and I sometimes don't even know what people are really talking about when they use that word.

    I think a big piece is just that I have a strong need for change and newness throughout my life, and the thought of the same thing, day in and day out, for years and decades, worries me. Now I do think it's potentially a totally different thing with an actual person who I Love, but as far as day-to-day life, and experiences, I hate feeling that I'm stuck in a rut and no longer growing as a person. So I worry that I would become ancy in a LTR when my partner does not feel that way and is perfectly happy and content keeping things as-is for the long run.

    Also, someone else mentioned this, but it applies to me too - I worry that I might change enough, over time (even if it's a gradual process), that in the future my needs/goals will be different than what they are right now. And that seems like it would be problematic when you throw a lifelong partnership into the mix.

    And then finally...maybe this is my 'life is short' mentality...but I guess I sometimes don't even see the 'point' of being in a relationship if it's less than what I am *really* wanting/desiring. I'm aware that relationships take work, and I don't at all expect that things will always run smoothly or there won't be bumps in the road (because I know there will be, and with love, I would desire to put forth my all to try to make things work). But if I/we try and things just can't be resolved so as to make both parties happy, with no resentment, then I have no problem with divorce. I will do it. So that's probably another thing - that conceptually I don't have a problem with divorce. So perhaps that means I'm not as...loyal?...as many might be. I'm not going to stick around in a crappy situation just because I made what I hoped would be a lifelong commitment. Sometimes things don't work out. And the very fact that I have this attitude about marriage means I'd probably be more apt to divorce. But I would also for the same reason be equally careful when/if I DID get married -- because I would really WANT it to be for life. I feel like all of this might have come out the wrong way and might not be understood/make sense, but oh well.

    Edit: And obviously it could be the other person who is changing, etc, and not me, and the same thing applies. I just write more about my concerns of MY getting ancy, personal growth, etc etc, because I seem to have a higher drive than most when it comes to that.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

  5. #15
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    it appears all types are guilty of the aforementioned, and that the prob of infj pairing is probably a miniscule, infinitesimal part of the overall problems in relating one-on-one.
    Maybe, but we're talking about INFxs, specifically. And it wouldn't hurt for everyone, of every type, take a good look at themselves.

    Halla and UDog give sound advice, once again. I think these two men should run the world. Or at least my life. Or at least do my laundry...? pleeease?? ()

    It would be very difficult for me to hear a problem and not take any steps to fix it. If this is a major point of contention in INFx relationships, then some compromise needs to be made. Out of curiosity, if you want to work it out yourselves, then why talk about it?

  6. #16
    Senior Member whimsical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    4
    Socionics
    infp
    Posts
    351

    Default

    I agree with Halla's post, I have a lot of high expectations of people and especially those I am close to or in a relationship with. I give a lot of myself and I spend a lot of time thinking about how I can do things better for the other person, how I can make them feel the best they can, how I can make this relationship reach it's highest potential, and in return I do expect the same
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  7. #17
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    I'd be interested in seeing the study itself... it doesn't fit into what I've read about relationship satisfaction... including idealization. It's normally a positive thing. Mind you, I think a lot of more neurotic people identify themselves with NFs (due to the connection of sensitivity that is written into the description - you don't find this correlation in formal testing), and that is strongly negative for relationships. Be interesting to see how they came to the conclusion... I'll have to look around for it.

  8. #18
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    It's an art - melding internal, dreamy idealism with the sometimes harsh realities of the real world. Embrace it, as together they are a powerful mixture.
    To be a Romantic realist? Yes I know, speaking from personal experience.

  9. #19
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whimsical View Post
    I agree with Halla's post, I have a lot of high expectations of people and especially those I am close to or in a relationship with. I give a lot of myself and I spend a lot of time thinking about how I can do things better for the other person, how I can make them feel the best they can, how I can make this relationship reach it's highest potential, and in return I do expect the same
    What does that mean - highest potential? What is the highest potential in a relationship?

    I think most people give a lot of themselves in relationships, but some are just too tuned into themselves to see what non-verbal things their partner brings to the table.

  10. #20
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Or at least do my laundry...? pleeease??
    You'll need an STJ for that!

    I have more thoughts on this topic, but will post back later.

Similar Threads

  1. [INFJ] How does an INFJ show interest in someone?
    By AutumnReverie in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 219
    Last Post: 06-12-2017, 10:31 AM
  2. [INFJ] INFJ and distance in relationships
    By laudanum225 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-21-2010, 08:12 PM
  3. [INFJ] INFJs: Not interested in him
    By Cimarron in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 08-14-2009, 05:13 PM
  4. [MBTItm] The Types in Marital Satisfaction
    By Charmed Justice in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 08-04-2009, 10:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO