User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: INFP careers

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

Orangey

I appreciate the reassurance, but I was wrong. I didn't have all the facts or think of all the factors and I still posted info pertaining to ADVICE that essentially came from two casual conversations and a 90 second search on Google Books. Oh boy, I need to use my brain more.

900-1000 pages DOES sound scary. If MS is studying Eng Lit, based on the info you provided and how much she expects to write, I could see how writing a dissertation could be intimidating. Yikes.

MS:

I don't know how intimidated you *should* be by the rigors of academic writing, but I hope you have the confidence to pursue it if it's something you end up wanting. Don't settle for anything that's "SO against your temperament" if you don't have to.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I totally enjoy writing, I love it. And my goal is to become a screenplay writer

MBTI
    XNFJ

You have a cruel dissertation chair if you have to do 900 pages. I'm in a humanities field and mine was about 120, I think 150 was about average. But that's intro, results, conclusions, etc.

Pick someone who has reasonable expectations from the get go - it definitely pays off in the end. I had a couple of friends who were stuck with the profs wondering if they would ever graduate because they were doing research for the profs benefit. My advisor had already proven himself and was just about supporting students. You can get a feel for that when you interview - how comfortable does the advisor try to make you feel and so forth. You're going to be stuck with that person for years, so it matters.

MBTI
    ENFP

I would think being a teacher. Or any job where training and mentoring is involved. As long as the passion is there. An INFP who is passionate about what he/she is doing is unstoppable.

MBTI
    INFP

Mediation. That's what I'm going for and I have found myself playing mediator all of my life so I figured why not make a go of it professionally. The book "Do What You Are" by Paul and Barbara Tieger gave me the inspiration. The INFP section has several stories of INFPs happy in their careers and one of them is a mediator. I had never even heard of the career before, but reading the entry made a light bulb go off. That was several years ago and the more I have learned the more I like the field.

Sociologist is a good sciencey career. That's what I'm getting my bachelor's in right now. I also have a degree in human services management (human services is perfect, management is ugh for me). We could probably do well in human resources as well, especially training and mentoring development like Clonester said.

MBTI
    INFP

Your avatar looks like a writer, Marmalade.

MBTI
    INFP

I've been searching for years, tyring to figure out what do to for a career, and it seems even more daunting as an INFP, because of a desire to have fulfillment on the job. Moreover, a 'personality profile' doesn't seem to be able to fully describe each individual within the personality type, as there are no two people who are truly identical. How can we say that these career lists are exhaustive? I guess the real question is: What are you passionate about? What is the most fulfilling to you?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Writing is definantly one strong point we have. Maybe you could write editorial sections in newspapers? It gives you a chance to express your opinion to the public. A novelist would be great too, that's all I want to do with my life is write, but my mom says that is "highly unrealistic" But, if you really want it, then I say go for it!

Graphic and interior design could be an option as well if you are into that artsy fartsy stuff.

I, myself, don't really follow through on the whole psychiatry thing. I'm certainly interested in the study of it, but I'm not sure I would want to do it for a living. Art therapy maybe, but the whole sit down all day asking people "How do you feel about that?" stuff would really get me down after awhile, I'd be too emotionally involved. Plus, I do that enough with my friends and family all the time.

Banned
    MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    5w4

16 years old - Hotel and Nutrition Science
    19 years old - Graphic Design
    22 years old - Electronics

I quit Hotel and Nutrition Science beacuse I didn't feel at ease in school. Girl problems involved. And because I had to move.

I quit Graphic Design because I ended up tutoring our teacher and the classes were booooring. No challenge what so ever. And, I didn't feel at ease in school.

I quit Electronics because I didn't feel at ease in school.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

For INFP males, I would recommend

dog walker
    car wash attendant
    temp
    dish washer
    pet/book store clerk
    EDIT: security guard